The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: Google Adsense [Bot], SteVeUrkle, thesman and 19 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Vonni » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:07 pm

Superbatboy wrote:With the things Cedar Fair announced today, the entire Six Flags chain better step up!

:nina:

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby JGuy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:26 pm

Manic Monte wrote:True. But I get the feeling that strategy isn't going to work much longer at a hard core thrill park like SFMM, especially with the competition in the area.

I agree that it'll probably catch up with them. They'll eventually run out of expenses to cut and (hopefully) start re-investing to stay relevant.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby moviemansig » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:51 pm

If you want to renew your Gold Pass and get the best deal, can you do it and activate it online during the annual Flash Sale? If yes, will you be able to still hold on to your current Gold Pass next year with the changes made? Also, if you're the only one in your party with a Gold Pass and waiting in the Gold Pass early entrance line, will everyone else with you still be allowed in early? (Last year, it wasn't a problem for me; I was just checking to see if that's typical.) Thanks.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:55 pm

moviemansig wrote:If you're the only one in your party with a Gold Pass and waiting in the Gold Pass early entrance line, will everyone else with you still be allowed in early? (Last year, it wasn't a problem for me; I was just checking to see if that's typical.) Thanks.

You're not supposed to, but if it's just one or two people they might make an exception if you ask nicely and quietly. If it's a large party they will probably say no.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Manic Monte wrote:True. But I get the feeling that strategy isn't going to work much longer at a hard core thrill park like SFMM, especially with the competition in the area.

There is competition in the area but SFMM doesn't really compete with it. They're the coaster park of the SoCal market. That's what they've chosen to be.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:12 pm

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:

There is competition in the area but SFMM doesn't really compete with it. They're the coaster park of the SoCal market. That's what they've chosen to be.

I think what he means is that with KBF restoring Ghost Rider into the amazing ride it now is and adding a dive coaster in addition to their Accelerator and B&M Invert, SFMM may have more coasters, but may no longer be the only park in Southern California you consider when thinking thrill coasters - especially when you consider KBF has so much more to offer than coasters. It used to be KBF is a better park but SFMM has the thrill rides, now KBF has both, SFMM just has more thrill rides.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:55 pm

Took a trip to the park today with family visiting from out of town. Since a number of schools were back in session, the place was fairly dead. The only hefty wait was, inexplicably, Riddler’s Revenge whose line spilled out of the main building and into the switchbacks (I haven’t seen that happen for some time). Apocalypse was down all day, but everything else was running as normal (except Justice League, which had to be unplugged and plugged back in a couple of times while we waited inside). Scream was running better than usual; Viper seemed extra punishing. Ride ops on Full Thröttle and Colossus were as fantastic as ever (two complete duels on our one ride!); ride ops on Goliath, Justice League, Batman, Ninja, Tatsu, and X2, less so (restraint-checker apathy levels were off the charts today). Superman was launching both sides almost at the same time, but only the left side was hitting the usual heights. Hideous VR was broken so we actually got to enjoy Revolution as nature intended it. Our Jet Stream boat had (no kidding) about 6" of water in it from the moment we climbed in (we hoped it would drain on the lift; it didn't). When we returned to the station, I pointed it out to the ride op and he said "yeah, I guess we should pull that one out."

I’ve ridden the SFOT version of Justice League, and this one’s somewhat different (this was my first time trying it). The sets appeared more elaborate (projections on the crashing truck etc.), and I don’t recall the Texas version spinning as much as this one does. The first half has some good detail and nice practical sets, and the second half makes an admirable use of immersive screens. With that said, the ride’s just a step up from the Knott’s video-game ride to me, with dodgy graphics/gameplay etc. It may be the result of the technical problems the ride was having while we waited in the pre-ride rooms, but several effects didn’t seem to do much, the fog projection lacked fog, and there was an “And the winner is . . .” announcement at the end that failed to announce any winners. Having already ridden another model, I knew what to expect but this version didn’t exactly win me over. Then again, I'm not the target audience for such a ride. I think if you love Justice League characters (and especially enjoy shooting them with lasers), it'll probably rock your world. I'm a huge dark ride fan, but much prefer traditional ghost trains and whatnot.

Are the pre-ride rooms supposed to do something? The first one was just a weird CGI animation. The second was just a stationary robot thing in a case that we just walked right past. My guess is that there’s more to them than that and that the ride’s reboot screwed them up. Last, I don’t know if it’s a problem of positioning, but the ride really kind of just looks like a white warehouse on concrete with a facade and some portable switchbacks. It didn’t seem quite finished, but maybe it’s a space that’ll see more use as a plaza for entertainment in the future? Anyhow, glad I got to check it out, but I think the air conditioning was my favorite part overall.

Anyhow, a decent day, and a good time to visit right now it seems.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Manic Monte » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:56 pm

singemfrc wrote:
PeoplemoverMatt wrote:

I think what he means is that with KBF restoring Ghost Rider into the amazing ride it now is and adding a dive coaster in addition to their Accelerator and B&M Invert, SFMM may have more coasters, but may no longer be the only park in Southern California you consider when thinking thrill coasters - especially when you consider KBF has so much more to offer than coasters. It used to be KBF is a better park but SFMM has the thrill rides, now KBF has both, SFMM just has more thrill rides.

Right. Also, although the SFMM and Knotts don't directly compete, both parks do compete for media coverage and need it to drive season pass sales for the next year.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Manic Monte » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:23 am

From Screamscape...

- New Attraction - Rumor - (8/21/17) So what's coming to Six Flags Magic Mountain for 2018? I've heard a couple of interesting rumors, though neither are going to make the coaster lovers out there very happy. According to one rumor, which I'm not very sure about myself, this source believes that SFMM might get a special king-sized version of a Larson Super Loop style ride.
The other rumor, which I have to admit sounds a bit more like something SFMM would do, is to install a new world's record breaking ride in the form of the world's tallest Star Flyer. Currently I believe the world's tallest is the Sky Screamer at Six Flags New England which opened in 2014 at a height of just over 400 feet tall, just stealing away the previous record from the Sky Screamer at Six Flags over Texas installed the year before at 400 feet. So if this latest rumor is true, you can expect one just a bit taller to go into Six Flags Magic Mountain for 2018, and while I don't know the exact location where it may go, we did get a rumor claiming that it just might go somewhere up on the park's central mountain, not far from the Sky Tower, which would actually make the ride seem even taller.

Maybe a new flat, and the park's 20th coaster? Sounds awesome. :lmao:

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby JGuy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:38 am

Manic Monte wrote:Maybe a new flat, and the park's 20th coaster? Sounds awesome. :lmao:

Obviously, they're saving their 20th Coaster for 2020. It's going to be an Intamin Dive Coaster that's 20 stories high, has 20 vertical drops, 20 inversions, 20 airtime moments, breaks 20 records you've never heard of, and sprawls across 20 acres.
Either that or an off-the-shelf ride that doesn't exceed $10 million. It doesn't matter which, as most of us will be there to ride it anyway. ;)

PreviousNext