TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I don't know if it's good news or bad news that SFMM seems to be the only park that has zero leaks/news/rumors about its 2018 attraction. Usually we have something (even just a rumor by now. Also. No markers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the whole Viper debacle. Which, oddly enough, I heard two random people talking about in the smoking section the other day.

Me? I'm just gonna keep holding out hope for a TRex. That way, I'll be goddamn disappointed by the time they announce refurbished trains for something.

I'm not completely sure what to think when it comes to SFMM for 2018. By then, it will have been three years since a new coaster, so I could see it going two ways. Either they take a small off-year (since Justice League was a huge project) and add some flats (Giant Discovery PLEASE), or they surprise us and add their 20th coaster. If so, it would be 2013 all over again with Knott's, CGA, and SFMM all getting new coasters.

Refurbished Viper would be great, as well. I don't have a problem with it the way it is, but if giving it new trains keeps it around longer, I'm all for it.

I'm thinking that whatever they're doing won't require any sort of construction until next April/May anyway.

That leads me to think Sky Screamer/Giant Discovery or some other sort of flat.

The year they upgraded Superman and added Green Lantern it was quiet like this as well. The California parks have done a good job of keeping leaks from happening this year. Knotts announces Wed, and people still can't quite agree what it is.

Well out of the 5 parks that are getting first of it's kind/record breakers, we know SFFT and SFGradv are on that list. So that leaves 3 remaining parks to receive them as well. I think we can scratch off SFOG, I dont think Cyclone will be a record breaker. SFNE is getting a giant discovery, SFStl is rumored to get a water coaster. I would assume between La Ronde, SFM, and SFDK, two of the 3 would receive the 2 rumored S&S 4Ds for 2018. So that leaves SFOT, SFA, SFMM, and SFGAM (i know I left out Great Escape but i mean come on) in the running for record breakers/first of its kind. Which MAYBE means SFMM gets the tallest SkyScreamer or by some stretch tallest dive coaster??

SF and Cedar Fair have done a great job keeping us guessing this year.

It really has been surprisingly quiet in regards any new ride or attraction... But the new Revolution announcement also wasn't really leaked ahead of time either. Usually the big projects leak or they start surveying which gives it away. I'd like to believe that this next year will be a year of a nice flat ride, but with the park in panic mode after a relatively weak summer who knows what will happen... It makes announcements exciting!

[4b] Is X2 usually up-and-running right from the get go?

The quick answer is not usually. X2 has a habit of being slow to open, sometimes 15-30 mins after the park. It also is very sensitive to rain and wind and will close quickly with just a bit of either. Watch the track before you're entering the park and watch/listen for trains being test cycled. If you don't see any trains cycling before the park opens, it won't open immediately. If you have the free FP ride with the platinum, just hit it later and start with something sure to be open.

It kinda pisses me off how many restrictions that SFMM has on their FPs. I understand limiting reservations on new rides like Justice League or terrible capacity rides like Superman, but there's no reason to limit reservations on rides like FT, TC, or X2. When I got FL Plus at CP, there were no limits on how many times I could ride Maverick, Valravn, TTD, MF, etc.
I'm not sure you really do understand, because TC and X2 are both limited due to capacity (and/or popularity in X2's case - it could probably take unrestricted FP if it were average popularity, but it's always popular) and TC is limited because it's the newest major coaster, and I think a large # of FP riders might affect the operators' ability to keep the trains dueling...I'm not sure as I've never FP'd that ride and can't recall where FP joins the que)

And also regarding X2, it used to be upcharge & reservation for platinum only, then it was $+res for Gold+, now they've made a free one time res for Platinum - they're certainly trying. In a park we all love to rip on for operations I'm for giving credit where I think it's due.

It really has been surprisingly quiet in regards any new ride or attraction... But the new Revolution announcement also wasn't really leaked ahead of time either. Usually the big projects leak or they start surveying which gives it away. I'd like to believe that this next year will be a year of a nice flat ride, but with the park in panic mode after a relatively weak summer who knows what will happen... It makes announcements exciting!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it will be a flat, probably the same Giant Discovery SFDK got. Could be a really great addition.

I have some questions about the flash pass. [1] If you purchase the flash pass in advance online, how long do you typically have to wait to pick it up once you get to the park? [2] When does the flash pass center open? [3] If you get the platinum level, do you still have to make a time reservation for the rides you want to do? [4] Is the $15 upcharge worth it on X2? [4a] If not, should you run to it first? [4b] Is X2 usually up-and-running right from the get go? [5] If you wanted to sit in the front for Tatsu and Goliath (for example), would they let you? [6] For a group of three of four, can each person have their own flash pass device? [7] Lastly, what does single reservation mean? Thanks a lot.

I'll try to answer these for you:

1) There is a separate line for people who've purchased the FP online, so the wait should be minimal to pick it up (5-10 minutes). I've noticed this summer that there have been FP reps in the entrance plaza, so you may be able to pick it up before the park opens.

2) The FP center opens with the park and stays open after park closing time.

3) You don't have to make reservations for a specific time, but you still have to reserve each ride. With the Platinum FP, the ride reservation is typically available right away or within 5-10 minutes. The thing to do is make your next ride reservation as soon as you get scanned in for your current ride.

4) There is no longer an upcharge for X2 on the Platinum FP, you get a one-time reservation now. It's still an upcharge on Gold.

4b) X2 is generally open with the park, but it's easy to tell if it's not. If a ride goes down, you can cancel your reservation for that ride and pick something else, then reserve that ride again later when it opens back up.

5) There are no seating restrictions for the FP, so yes you can sit in the front rows if you want.

6) Each person can have their own FP device, but you would have to pay for each one separately. If you're going to stay together the whole day, it's easier to just have one device for the whole group.

7) Single reservation means you only get one reservation on the FP and once you use it, it's gone. For example, you get a single reservation for Fu11 Throttle and if you want to ride it again, you would have to wait in the normal line. For rides like Tatsu and Goliath, you can reserve them as much as you want as there are no limits on those rides. It kinda pisses me off how many restrictions that SFMM has on their FPs. I understand limiting reservations on new rides like Justice League or terrible capacity rides like Superman, but there's no reason to limit reservations on rides like FT, TC, or X2. When I got FL Plus at CP, there were no limits on how many times I could ride Maverick, Valravn, TTD, MF, etc.

4b) Prior to making your ride reservation will you know if a ride is down?

7) Is single ride (Superman) the same as single reservation?

Thanks.

Thanks.

If it's down for the day or long term, the FP office will tell you. They probably won't know if it's just going to be late opening.

Single ride is the same as single reservation. The only ride that used to literally make reservations as in you had to schedule it at the beginning of the day was X2, but I heard they don't do that anymore, you can just show up whatever time you want once per day.

Thanks.

If a ride is down, then it won't let you make a reservation for it. When rides come back online your qbot buzzes to let you know. And yes, single ride does mean single reservation.

X2 has decent capacity when running two trains but it's still extremely popular, so you may have any argument for limiting FPs (although Gold should get a free reservation too, IMO). But TC is two years old and almost always runs three trains, so the capacity argument doesn't hold water. It almost always has shorter lines than Tatsu, yet Tatsu is unlimited on the FP and TC is still limited to a single reservation. You just don't get the same value out of the FPs at SFMM that you do at SFGAm/SFGAdv or any of the CF parks.

With the things Cedar Fair announced today, the entire Six Flags chain better step up! I think they will, it'll be good if they start trying to one-up each other again.

Why start now?

With the things Cedar Fair announced today, the entire Six Flags chain better step up! I think they will, it'll be good if they start trying to one-up each other again.

Why start now?

Because their attendance and season pass sales may depend on it!

Unless they just announced a price hike in their season passes, they'll probably be fine. Their low investment, high returns strategy seems to be working for them.

Unless they just announced a price hike in their season passes, they'll probably be fine. Their low investment, high returns strategy seems to be working for them.

True. But I get the feeling that strategy isn't going to work much longer at a hard core thrill park like SFMM, especially with the competition in the area.

True. But I get the feeling that strategy isn't going to work much longer at a hard core thrill park like SFMM, especially with the competition in the area.

I agree that it'll probably catch up with them. They'll eventually run out of expenses to cut and (hopefully) start re-investing to stay relevant.

If you want to renew your Gold Pass and get the best deal, can you do it and activate it online during the annual Flash Sale? If yes, will you be able to still hold on to your current Gold Pass next year with the changes made? Also, if you're the only one in your party with a Gold Pass and waiting in the Gold Pass early entrance line, will everyone else with you still be allowed in early? (Last year, it wasn't a problem for me; I was just checking to see if that's typical.) Thanks.

If you're the only one in your party with a Gold Pass and waiting in the Gold Pass early entrance line, will everyone else with you still be allowed in early? (Last year, it wasn't a problem for me; I was just checking to see if that's typical.) Thanks.

You're not supposed to, but if it's just one or two people they might make an exception if you ask nicely and quietly. If it's a large party they will probably say no.

There is competition in the area but SFMM doesn't really compete with it. They're the coaster park of the SoCal market. That's what they've chosen to be.