TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Evidently we left to early, This was done on Thursday night. Pairs Hilton, Matthew Perry, and Seth Green to name a few. Also has some of the Helicopter footage, from earlier in the day (in the first 2 minutes). The 300k dosen't seem to be working. the 56/150k is its over 11 mins. Enjoy,

Dws.

http://www.prnewswire.com/broadcast/24090/consumer.shtml

Thanks Robb and Elissa- The TPR campout was well worth my 2000 mile trek to SFMM!! (Okay, so 1700 miles were traversed in an aluminum tube flying at 38,000 feet into Las Vegas- where I had a 3 day detour but hey, I did drive from L.V. to L.A.)

Since this was my first TPR event, thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome as I didn't really "know" anyone per-se prior to getting to the camp out. Glad I got to talk to so many great TPR members!!!

Although I think we all averaged about 8 minutes of actual sleep, the campout was FANTASTIC- I was stationed just behind Wes's Camp Awesome and next to Guy and Kim Possible at my own Camp Wal-Mart (where I had to buy all my gear last minute- because I wasn't checking a $2 cooler, a $5 sleeping-mat, and a $10 ((and surprisingly comfy and underused)) sleeping bag on the plane on the way out there)

Thanks for the food and entertainment and all the other sleep-depriving diversions as we waited for Tatsu, and again, after it premiered.

The ride is just incredibly AWESOME, and I think no one can get enough of "The Pretzel". I managed 12 (possibly 13- I was getting kinda bleary about numbers towards the end of the day) rides all day on Tatsu.

I was also amazed that ALL of the other coasters were running for the day.

(I am not counting Flashback). I was on the Revolution for the Media Moment where they dueled the ride with Tatsu for the unveiling. That was a blast!!! (Yes everyone, that is my arm sticking up and my woo-hooing towards the front of the train in the media spots- please form an orderly line for my autograph )

40 coaster rides for the day in total!!! Best time I have ever had at the Mountain. Let's all do it again sometime.

My throwaway camera provided mostly throwaway pics, but I got a couple I will try to post in the next couple of days.

Thanks so much for the invite to Media Day.

I'm just glad The Moose outside didn't tell us the park was closed!

James MC

AlarmingToast@aol.com

^ I envy you. Half the time I was there, I was forced to listen to this crazy ACE member who, for some strange reason, really hated Robb. I hope to actually meet people when (and if) I go to the BBQ this summer.

^ LOL... that wouldn't happen to be Mantis Man, would it? I heard some ACEr's trashing TPR for whatever pathetic reason... most likely because they're a few tacos short of a combination platter.

Anyway, for once and only once, I'm going to be a total ego-whore and say that Jim Disney has posted an awesome update at Westcoaster covering Tatsu Media Day (awesome because most of those pics are mine)! Check it out at the following link:

http://www.westcoaster.net/updates.php?updateCD=051506

The last pic on page 1, last three pics from page 2, and the rest of the pics from page 3 through 13 are mine. Photoshopped speech bubbles are credit to Jim and were pretty funny.

So yeah... I promise I won't be a credit hog and and do a cheap link again, but if you enjoyed my pics in this thread, you can check out some more at the above link.

Albert "Hey, gotta not be humble once in a while..." Lam

Weee. Finally got back home and have a working internet connection. First off, yet another big thanks to Robb and company for organizing the event. I have a great time, and it was tons of fun. Tatsu was great, but the combination of lack of sleep, the long drive from Arizona, and tons of pizza made me feel queasy during the ride. I got on it 7 times, was on the train with all the leadia crap and had to wait for about 45 minutes befre we got launchd. ALl and all though, great event, and thanks for setting it all up for us.

~~~>Andrew

Here are some of the pictures I took at the Tatsu media event. This was soooo much fun, thanks again R & E!

Brad

IMAG0094.jpg.e57b4cb37d51899f5b3f87522bb7ee2d.jpg

Thats about the size of it

IMAG0083.thumb.jpg.64e07d6409c7ec7830904527031c3fef.jpg

Tatsu at Dawn

IMAG0077.jpg.4df74efb5051d706a1af95304139287c.jpg

Pretzel

IMAG0075.jpg.002dd26f1734d7718ad762254c5baa39.jpg

Close Encounters with Tatsu

IMAG0074.jpg.1d136eafcbcde56de7e11edcb8b54883.jpg

Trying to capture the train

Anyway, for once and only once, I'm going to be a total ego-whore and say that Jim Disney has posted an awesome update at Westcoaster covering Tatsu Media Day (awesome because most of those pics are mine)! Check it out at the following link:

http://www.westcoaster.net/updates.php?updateCD=051506

Hey! I'm in one of those pics (the one where he says "Its early, theyre all waiting for the ride"). Shweet!

Edit: 69th post *giggle*

Also, Turtleggjp, please keep uploading your news videos if you have them!

Thanks!

--Robb

Sorry guys, this has been the Perfect Storm of busy for me these last few days. After the awesome time I had at media day, I then had to get ready to leave for Yosemite for the Mother's Day Weekend. My computer has been super busy ever since recording the Survivor finale, 24, and now The Amazing Race finale tonight, so that's why I've been unable to post any more news clips. I finally have them all rough edited though (so I can get rid of the two 10GB files from Thursday morning), and I will be attempting to make some more <30MB files from them. Eventually, I may try to setup an FTP server so you can download larger (and nicer quality) versions.

In the meantime, here is a quick summary of what I was able to get:

ABC (HD) 5AM - 7AM: Pretty much every mention of Tatsu, including 3 long segments.

KTLA 7AM - 9AM: ditto, including probably the best on ride commentary by a media person that I got (Bill Smith, whom I also ran into in the Rapids Camp bathroom ). There is also a very brief and hard to see shot of me and my guest on the first train out of station 2 after the 2 hour media delay when he returns to the station. We're in the furthest two seats away from the camera's view.

CBS: Live feed with Rick Chambers in the 5PM hour, followed by a recap in the 6PM hour of another live feed that he did that day. Funny jokes by Johnny Mountain, the weather guy.

FOX: Recap of Tony McEwing's live feed during 10PM news.

So that is what else you have to look forward to from me in the next day or two.

Matt

P.S. the first file that is 35MB is the teaser I posted Wednesday night before media day.

1028320472_WhatIhave.gif.885f5820901c456495257d884da175cf.gif

So far, they are all still in large HDTV Transport Stream format.

Oh don't forget about the Spider invested Ninja trains down on the bottom of the return lift.

lol yah i've seen those anybody have an idea what that building right next to that is? It looks like a round plaza sorta type-a-dealy looks abandoned though.....

Edit: WTF? Paris Hilton has ridden and i haven't.....it is a sad day indeed....

Ok, I finished the KTLA live feed. I tried to make an MPEG1 last night, but the file came out too big and quality was already pretty bad. So instead, I made a 60fps XviD version at 360x270. Just tried to post it, but I keep getting the message "No Post Mode Specified." Gotta get to work now, will try again later today...

Matt

Ok, may be an off the wall question here, but I've always wondered this... B&M has never built a flying coaster with a normal loop, but the vekoma's do have them. My question is, is why don't the go through the loop BELOW the track, like an inverted coaster? All the vekoma's roll over onto the back before entering a loop. I think itd be insane to be in the flying position, going through a loop like an inverted coaster. Why hasn't this been attempted?

Still having trouble uploading. It looks like it starts to upload for a couple seconds, then it loses the connection. I also saw the file size limit go up to 60MB, and then drop back to 40MB. Is there work being done on the server right now? If so, I'll keep working on some other clips while I wait...

Hey Pyro, to answer your? about a traditional loop in the flying position- you would be thrown by gravity into your harness. This could very well snap your neck, and/or crush your ribs. I'll take the pretzel loop just the way it is where your back absorbs the brunt of the G-force. Hope that helps!!!

40 mph doesn't sound like much until you think of it this way:

Imagine being suspended above the floor maybe just a half inch or so- and then being instantly accelerated to 40mph from floating INTO the floor.

Or think of it this way- Imagine someone with equal mass and weight running into you (without you bracing for it) at at average speed of 6-8 miles an hour while you are standing upright. You'd get knocked on yer keester for sure. Now, imagine someone four to five times your mass and weight (the effect of the G's) running into you at almost 5-8 times THAT speed. It lends itself to a different perspective. You'd get hurt for sure.

Hope that helps!!!

Lets make this easy.

If you weighed 150Lbs and the loops pulls 4Gs, it would be like laying on the ground with a 450lb person lying on top of you...

Not to mention that all that pressure would be focused onto the restraint, instead of being distributed evenly throughout your body.

Inclined loops, however, are probably completely do-able.

Ok, I was able to get my FTP server set up. I won't be running it until later tonight, so PM me if you would like to download more of the Tatsu news reports that I recorded. I also put up my photos from that day. Nothing much you haven't already seen, unless you want to see what my guest and I look like, or some of the plant life around the park.