TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

Looking like we are going to book the behind the seeds tour as well.

I'll second that. It's short, inexpensive, educational, and entertaining. So if you've ever found yourself irrationally enjoying Living With the Land a little too much, it's definitely a good deal!

Apparently, epcot has suffered a power loss tonight. Most attractions have been closed for a while, and the line at guest services is out the door.

Anybody at the park tonight or know what caused this?

No idea, but I did see that Epcot had issues from one of my friends (from college) that happens to work at Disney and retweeted a picture of the guest services line

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm surprised no one has made mention of this permit and speculation of a Ratatouille ride at Epcot.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/06/23/disney-permits-may-hint-at-rumored-new-ride-at.html

Disney permits may hint at rumored new ride at Epcot's France pavilion

Jun 23, 2017, 8:52pm , Jun 24, 2017

A new permit filed by Walt Disney World has some theme park fans believing it supports rumors for a new ride in the works at Epcot.

The permits, dubbed Epcot France Back of House Modifications, proposes to add "impervious surface" — which can include pavement — to the 5.70-acre area that includes back-of-house space behind and between Epcot's France and Morocco pavilions.

This shows an aerial of the area that Disney will be seeking to fill in with "impervious surface." Theme park fans believe this may hint at a new ride in the future.

While the permits don't hint at much, theme park blogs like WDW News Today have said it could signal the work toward Epcot adding a new ride based on the Pixar film "Ratatouille." The film, which follows the story of a rat named Remy in Paris with a knack for cooking, already has an existing attraction, Ratatouille: The Adventure, at Disneyland Paris.

Added Robert Niles, editor of Theme Park Insider, via a post: "With this application covering only site preparation work, we would appear to be several months — at least — away from the start of any major construction at either the France or Universe of Energy pavilions." Disney recently filed permits for more backstage work at Epcot behind the Universe of Energy pavilion, which has raised rumors of a possible Guardians of the Galaxy or Tron attraction.

The Disneyland Paris Ratatouille attraction is a 3-D dark ride where riders find themselves as guests in Remy's kitchen and in a frantic adventure through the kitchen and the restaurant's dining room while evading those who aren't keen about seeing rats in the restaurant.

It's not far-fetched for many to think Disney may be looking to add a new ride to Epcot's World Showcase. The company has been aggressively expanding for several years, and Epcot is among the Disney parks that always has been a target for more investment from the company.

Executives with Disney were not immediately available for comment.

Of course, it's worth noting that rumors like this should be taken with a grain of salt. Disney has many new attractions it may or may not be working on and, if this rumor is true, it may be part of a long-term plan by the theme park.

Either way, the addition of new attractions to Orlando's theme parks help create new buzz for the region and boost visitation. That further helps keep the region's tourism industry busy and its large employment base working.

Epcot.JPG.dc498d360d482482572af9bbb30b85c3.JPG

I saw it two days ago, but was just too lazy to post it (ps - thanks for posting it so I didn't have to)

I was very pleased when I heard this news. I always thought a Ratatouille ride would be a great fit back there and it's good to see that corner of the park getting an E-ticket.

I think Ratatouille is a fun but not spectacular dark ride and should be a nice fit into the World Showcase. I'm a bit on the fence about IPs going into World Showcase as there is a risk it could become a bit generic and like any other park, but if they choose appropriate IPs and do it well then I guess I have no problem with it.

I always thought a Ratatouille ride would be a great fit back there and it's good to see that corner of the park getting an E-ticket.

I know people are thinking Ratatouille since that ride currently exists in Disneyland Paris in their France area that looks just like Epcot, BUT...

Don't forget that they are also currently working on a Beauty & The Beast ride for Tokyo Disneyland, and that certainly is a property that more people know than Ratatouille, so that might also be a possibility.

I'm a bit on the fence about IPs going into World Showcase

I personally love it and has greatly enhanced World Showcase since they started bringing the Disney feel into that section of the park. I mean, it's a Disney park. Why shouldn't it have Disney characters?

I'm a bit on the fence about IPs going into World Showcase

I personally love it and has greatly enhanced World Showcase since they started bringing the Disney feel into that section of the park. I mean, it's a Disney park. Why shouldn't it have Disney characters?

Yep, can't disagree with that. Like I say, if they do it well and the IPs suit the areas they're putting them into (which has been the case with Frozen and looks to be the case with Ratatouille/Beauty and the Beast) then I have no problem with it.

I know the 2017 remake of BatB wasn't to everyone's taste but I kinda want to see an attraction use it's aesthetics. They already did a show in Animal Kingdom based on the Jungle Book remake so I don't think the fact that it's a remake of something already present in the parks would stop it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the only way we'll see any new attractions added to the current World Showcase Pavilions is if they are focused on an IP. For example I can't see the 'Rhine River Cruise' being a major pull if Disney decided to bring that project back from the depths, but Ratatouille or Beauty & the Beast would definitely bring in the crowds.

For me any new ride added to World Showcase is a huge bonus, as much as I have grown to appreciate it now I'm older, when I was a kid (and I'm sure is the case for a lot of children) once you got past the rides in Mexico & Norway, there is/was not a massive amount to keep young ones, who want to ride things entertained, although I appreciate that this has changed with Kidcot and the World Showcase Adventure games, but these weren't around when I was young.

Also, yet another rumour has sprung up regarding the possibility of adding Brazil to the World Showcase (source Blog Mickey), which is certainly very interesting, and again would be fantastic if true, another country would certainly inject new life into that side of the park.

I can't wait to see what gets announced at D23.

I also think it will be Ratatouille, because there is already a Beauty and the Beast area in Magic Kingdom. Yes, they can put a ride in EPCOT, but why? It would make more sense over there, and there is still room for expansion.

Well, one could argue there is also a Toy Story ride in Magic Kingdom and one at Hollywood Studios (with more on the way.) Not saying I prefer one over the other, but Ratatouille just turned ten years old a few days ago, and it doesn't seem like it's a property that stands out to most guests the way Beauty & The Beast does. Either way, the more Disney characters in Epcot the better!

I also think it will be Ratatouille, because there is already a Beauty and the Beast area in Magic Kingdom. Yes, they can put a ride in EPCOT, but why? It would make more sense over there, and there is still room for expansion.

Well, one could argue there is also a Toy Story ride in Magic Kingdom and one at Hollywood Studios (with more on the way.) Not saying I prefer one over the other, but Ratatouille just turned ten years old a few days ago, and it doesn't seem like it's a property that stands out to most guests the way Beauty & The Beast does. Either way, the more Disney characters in Epcot the better!

Even in Paris, when the movie and ride was newer and you think would be a bigger thing because of the movies setting, I never heard much buzz or overly great reviews of the ride. Most people thought it was OK/good but most people I know who went talked more about going to the restaurant for Ratatouille than the ride.

It's a good ride but it's much more family orientated than say Transformers or Spiderman, when we rode it my son was 6 months old and he rode and enjoyed it, there is nothing like that in DL so it makes a nice addition. My kids loved it and personally along with TOT I thought it was the best ride in the Studios park........but that's not saying a lot!

It's a good ride but it's much more family orientated than say Transformers or Spiderman

That's even better, I feel like EPCOT is already a tiny bit too adult and this can balance it out. Not to mention it will be a food themed ride at one of the best places in the world to get food from.

• 2 weeks later...

You can read Adam's D23 Report here, but I'll post a quick re-cap of the Walt Disney World announcements with some of the released images...

- Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (Replacing Great Movie Ride)

thumb_image_wdw_mickey-attraction-poster.jpg

- Ratatouille is coming to the France pavilion at Epcot

thumb_image_wdw_ratatouille_1.jpg

- A new, seamless Circlevision film is coming to the Epcot China Pavilion

thumb_circlevision.jpg

- Guardians of the Galaxy is coming to Epcot

thumb_image_wdw_guardians-exterior.jpg

thumb_image_wdw_guardians-interior.jpg

- Tron Lightcycle Power Run is coming to the Magic Kingdom

thumb_image_wdw_tron_0.jpg

- Mission: Space will open with a new Green Mission film for families and a reanimated Orange Mission

thumb_mission_space.jpg

- New table service restaurant at Mission: Space

thumb_image_wdw_space-restaurant.jpg

- The Disney Skyliner gondola system will debut at Walt Disney World resorts

thumb_image_wdw_disney-skyliner.jpg

thumb_image_wdw_disney-skyliner-2.jpg

thumb_147119_rh6_1923.jpg

- A new theater attraction will open on Main Street USA at the Magic Kingdom

thumb_image_wdw_mk-theatre.jpg

- The "Minnie Van" uber-like driving service has been announced WDW Resort

thumb_image_wdw_minnie-van-service.jpg

- Hotel Riviera Disney Vacation Club Resort

thumb_image_dvc_disney-riviera-resort.jpg

- Star Wars-Inspired Themed Resort at Walt Disney World planned

thumb_image_wdw_star-wars-themed-resort.jpg

thumb_image_wdw_star-wars-themed-resort-3.jpg

- Star Wars Land officially named "Star Wars Galaxy's Edge"

thumb_147119_rh6_0717.jpg

thumb_image_wdpr_star-wars-battle-attraction.jpg

thumb_image_wdpr_star-wars-millennium-falcon-attraction.jpg

- Epcot Future World will get a make-over

thumb_epcot_makeover.jpg

thumb_epcot_makeover2.png

Again. you can read Adam's D23 Report here!

Edited by robbalvey

People will lament the loss of "classics" and edutainment being a thing...but what the audience wants changes too. Universe of Energy was a giant waste of space in its current form, and with how large the building is I am excited to see what they do with it. And that's coming from someone who hasn't seen either Guardians of the Galaxy movie.