TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

So are we gonna be talking about how Voyage to the Crystal Grotto and Roaring Rapids are closed indefinitely or nah?

The website says both are closed for scheduled maintenance, kinda like how Paris closes some of its attractions for the winter.

Edited by cookiex

So are we gonna be talking about how Voyage to the Crystal Grotto and Roaring Rapids are closed indefinitely or nah?

From what I've heard some of the outdoor water rides are closed during the winter (or run limited hours) as it's in the 40's every day. The rapids should reopen around Chinese New Year in February. I believe Voyage reopens next week.

Edited by SharkTums

• 4 weeks later...

So I just got back from my trip to Shanghai and Disneyland. I was really impressed with the park; it's easily the best "new" park Disney has done in a long time, and feels remarkably fleshed-out and full-featured. The whole park really feels well thought-out and like a lot of money has been spent on it.

TRON is really fun and very well done; it's the first ride I've been on in a long time that offers a really genuinely new experience and you find yourself grinning the whole time. The attention to detail is great, and some of the individual moments are really impactful (the pre-show room with the frosted glazing turning clear for example).

Pirates is also pretty great, and the technology used is really impressive. The omnimover-type boat system works very well, and the huge screens blended in with physical scenery is incredibly well done. Small details like the shifting of the perspective of movie loops on individual screens to match the boat's position are really well done. If anything, the final scene could have been a bit more explosive and had some actual fire effects though.

Otherwise, everything else was nicely done - although I've never liked any of the Soaring attractions and still don't like the version here. I've never understood the appeal, but the Chinese seem to be going crazy for it.

Unfortunately the Rapids were closed for maintenance, as was Voyage to the Crystal Grotto although it claims to be open online. We managed 3 x Pirates and 5 x TRON, as well as most of the other main attractions.

Oh, and the deal with English Vs. Chinese FastPasses is - if you just scan your ticket in the machine, you get a Chinese language FastPass. If you press English on screen first to get the instructions in English then scan your ticket, the FastPass is also printed in English.

As an aside, we went to Happy Valley Shanghai as well which was a strange experience. The park was extremely quiet and we often had to sit on a 'coaster train for some time until it filled up to be dispatched. There's a nice clone of SheiKra there, as well as a fairly good wooden rollercoaster, a decent Intamin Mega-Lite and a B&M family inverted rollercoaster, which is actually surprisingly snappy and forceful for a kids' ride. One quirk of the park is that you're made to do stretches/exercises to music before getting on a couple of the rollercoasters! Aside from the main rides, they also have a truly dreadful rip-off of Soaring (you can see all edges of the screen, the movie is warped/not corrected for the screen curvature and some scenes are out of focus) and a horrendously bad attempt at a Spiderman-style dark ride themed to something to do with storms, which has to be experienced to be believed.

• 4 weeks later...
So I just got back from my trip to Shanghai and Disneyland. I was really impressed with the park; it's easily the best "new" park Disney has done in a long time, and feels remarkably fleshed-out and full-featured. The whole park really feels well thought-out and like a lot of money has been spent on it.

TRON is really fun and very well done; it's the first ride I've been on in a long time that offers a really genuinely new experience and you find yourself grinning the whole time. The attention to detail is great, and some of the individual moments are really impactful (the pre-show room with the frosted glazing turning clear for example).

Pirates is also pretty great, and the technology used is really impressive. The omnimover-type boat system works very well, and the huge screens blended in with physical scenery is incredibly well done. Small details like the shifting of the perspective of movie loops on individual screens to match the boat's position are really well done. If anything, the final scene could have been a bit more explosive and had some actual fire effects though.

Otherwise, everything else was nicely done - although I've never liked any of the Soaring attractions and still don't like the version here. I've never understood the appeal, but the Chinese seem to be going crazy for it.

What's interesting about your report is it seems to be yet another one that is basically "Shanghai Disneyland is all about Pirates & Tron OMG YES!!! And everything is, like, just ok..."

This is sort of my takeaway as well. I liked the park as a whole, thought it was really nicely done, but I came away from it thinking Pirates and Tron OMG!!! And the rest of the park was decent.

I have to be honest though, as much as I loved Pirates & Tron, the park as a whole didn't make me feel like I need to hurry back there. I'll go again eventually, and most likely when they open up another big attraction that is equal to Pirates or Tron, but unlike Tokyo Disney where I can keep going back there over and over without anything new being added, it just didn't seem to have that same draw for me.

Does Shanghai switch to reservation only like Hong Kong does during the new year? I feel like I will have an awful time but since it's one of the few times my school closes and I have a few days off, looking into going in a few years around then when I can afford it. Although I don't think the Chinese take off the same days as Korea for thanksgiving so maybe the 3 day chuseok might be better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yea that has been happening even before the park officially opened. What the CMs are doing now is matching the serial number on the ticket and the FP before guests get into the FP line. But there are tour groups that take back the tickets from clueless group members (usually older people or rural populations) and the tour guides sell their collected tickets to the scalpers to get FP.

It's a very frustrating situation and most CMs are not authorized to do anything about it. I reported a line jumping/force entrance from an emergency exit when I was in line for Pirates but the CM can't do anything about it since eye witness isn't enough to get the police officers involved.

Go to Shanghai Disney when the crowd level is absolutely minimum, and remember the CM there have the roughest lives.

• 1 month later...

From Screamscape

After failing to find a good way to battle the presence of locals sales-people attempting to sell FastPass tickets for profit to guests at Shanghai Disneyland, Disney is simply opting to beat them at their own game and is now selling a Disney Premier Access upgrade pass option to allow guests to skip the lines on up to seven major attractions at the park. You can simply use the program to buy a single pass for about $17 to $21 (depending on how crowded it is that day) or you can buy the whole pack of 7 passes for a price between $70-$88.

Honestly, I know Disney purists will hate this, but this makes me more interested in visiting Shanghai Disney. I'd probably not pay that for a single pass but for the pack I'd happily pay that much to avoid running around to get popular tickets and one queue free ride on the big hitters where I won't grind my teeth with queue jumpers and other things especially to avoid Soarin's big line.

From Screamscape

After failing to find a good way to battle the presence of locals sales-people attempting to sell FastPass tickets for profit to guests at Shanghai Disneyland, Disney is simply opting to beat them at their own game and is now selling a Disney Premier Access upgrade pass option to allow guests to skip the lines on up to seven major attractions at the park. You can simply use the program to buy a single pass for about $17 to $21 (depending on how crowded it is that day) or you can buy the whole pack of 7 passes for a price between $70-$88.

This is just kinda sad, the good suffer due to the bad.

The decision that disney had made seems to be a good one at the moment. Maybe this will also cut down some of the standby lines due to the lack of fast pass (or at least a significantly less amount of people will be in those fast pas lines).

Sometimes I wish the Fastpass system was just everyone gets like 4 passes per day to use anytime they want at any attraction they want. Sometimes the fastpass lines will be longer, some times they will be shorter, some people would use them in the morning, some at night, some throughout the day. I would be interesting.

But yeah if tons of guests are selling passes and they can't control it then Disney might as well sell them instead.

Disney's communism in the capitalism world officially ended as capitalism in a communist country.

But this is the right approach in China given how awfully crowded the park can get and from the slower operation due to the amount of clueless guests, I would buy the premium pass in a heartbeat.

This is the flyer for the premium fast pass, sadly the CM I know didn't take a picture of the English section. It is available for Soarin', Roaring Rapids, TRON, Buzz Lightyear, Pooh, 7DMT and Peter Pan. One single ride costs ¥150 ($22) on peak days and ¥120 ($18) on regular days. And the package costs ¥600 ($88) on peak days and ¥480 ($71) on regular days. Very nice deal I would say given that the TRON fast pass was sold for ¥1400 ($206) at the black market.

IMG_1625.thumb.JPG.33d1207ae7c544abc8fbe67f1070a91b.JPG

If people pay that much for 1 I guess these will sell out quite quickly. Hopefully not since then the cycle could potentially begin again with scalpers buying these up and selling those at ridiculous costs.

• 5 weeks later...