TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will add in a vote for Banshee being overrated. I enjoy it but I definitely don't rank it very highly compared to other inverts I've been on, and I'd venture to say there are several other coasters at the park I'd rank above it. I found it rattly in the back, and I normally don't complain about stuff like that.

Yeah, I was surprised by how blah it was too. It looks like it'd be amazing, but I found it to be one of the more meandering inversion-catalog style B&M's I've ridden. I'd heard that the drop was more impressive than most inverts, but even that did nothing for me. And yeah, I got some serious rattle in the back as well.

I feel like a lot of the hype for Banshee was due to the hilariously low expectations we all had for B&M. It's good, but it's probably the weakest invert I've ever ridden and the back of the train rides like a jackhammer rolling down a track on square wheels.

^ Someone rode it during the day.

I first rode Beast at night in the fog during a light rain in the front seat. I think that was as close to a religious experience I'm ever going to get on a coaster.

Edited by michaellynn4

Yea I did ride Beast during the day. I guess if i go back Ill try it at night and see how it is then. Also Im surprised I305 was mentioned on here! I mean it looks insane!! Almost the height of good old M-Force and the awesome intensity of Maverick! Sounds like an awesome combo to me! Then again i agree of not putting to to much hype on any coaster because if it doesnt live to your said hype you may be disappointed. Also as for the B&M thing. I dont think B&Ms are that "bad" as many say. They are really fun! But I do prefer Intamin of course. Well to me I love B&M for their inverts and Intamin for the other type of coasters. The first drops on B&m hypers are really thrilling however the airtime hills arnt as thrilling as Intamin airtime hills. I think thats because I find ejector air time a lot more thrilling then floater air time. B&M focuses more on floater where as Intamin focuses more on ejector or fast transitions and whipping. However B&M inverts are awesome! Banshee looks awesome but if i ever do go back to KI I now know to now hype it up to to much so I wont be disappointed.

^ Someone rode it during the day.

While I agree with the point of this, this represents my major problem with The Beast. I love the coaster at night. I would even rather ride the Beast at night than El Toro. But my day ride on it was rough and forceless, like a more scenic version of CGA's Grizzly. I do share the same love of night rides as anyone else, but I also believe that you should not have to ride any coaster in a certain seat at any specific time to get a good ride. While I do have favorite seats and times on Phoenix and El Toro, I know that I will get an awesome ride no matter where I sit or when I ride them. The Beast does not do this. Therefore, I consider it to be my most overrated coaster my far. Millennium Force comes in a relitavely distant second. (Though MF is almost so overrated it's underrated).

^ If you are going for the night ride, try the front seat if you haven't already...it truly is damn close to a religious experience.

Especially with a little beer buzz going.

I agree with what you mean about riding in a certain seat, but this coaster is so much better at night in front that I usually skip riding it during the day and wait for that mind-blowing night time ride.

I really would like to try Voyage (despite getting my a$$ beat on it last time) and see if that's anywhere near as crazy as The Beast in the front seat in the pitch black darkness.

^ If you are going for the night ride, try the front seat if you haven't already...it truly is damn close to a religious experience.

Especially with a little beer buzz going.

I agree with what you mean about riding in a certain seat, but this coaster is so much better at night in front that I usually skip riding it during the day and wait for that mind-blowing night time ride.

I really would like to try Voyage (despite getting my a$$ beat on it last time) and see if that's anywhere near as crazy as The Beast in the front seat in the pitch black darkness.

Forgot to mention my ride WAS in the front! It was really one of those "the stars aligned" kind of moments for me.

Voyage is fun, but I think that ride is overrated. The second half was so rough that it literally knocked the wind out of me.

lol what?? Are you guys talking about classic wooden coaster at Kings Island or LSD?? Granted I never did drugs but thats the type of stuff i see people describe when being on certain drugs....lol "Man this coaster is soooo lit! no no I mean this coaster is making me lit!!!"

lol what?? Are you guys talking about classic wooden coaster at Kings Island or LSD?? Granted I never did drugs but thats the type of stuff i see people describe when being on certain drugs....lol "Man this coaster is soooo lit! no no I mean this coaster is making me lit!!!"

...you sure you're not the one with the illegal drugs here?

I said that mostly because on my one and only visit to KI back in 2013, all of the elements that contribute to ideal riding conditions occurred. Totally unexpected by me, too; I didn't realize how reverential (there I go doing it again, hyuck! *knee slap*) a Beast night ride was among coaster geeks until I read about it afterwards.

I mean, a night ride at the front row of Beast is definitely incredible and I came back to the station clapping. But once I calmed my poo-poo down, Outlaw Run and Voyage still have the better night rides.

The Beast, for me, hovered above evaluation; its history and general legacy kind of exempted it. I loved it, even though it was rough and a bit meandering. Night rides were excellent, but I also got to ride it in an insanely torrential rainstorm just before KI shut the whole park down. It was a stupid move, but everyone on the train was cheering their heads off while trying to wipe sheets of rain from their eyes. It was worth the drenching.

There's great moments on coasters, and there's generally great coasters. I finally had one of those "religious experiences?" on The Beast last year right before the park closed, getting last train that night. Something about not being surrounded by enthusiasts mixed in with being tired from an overall excellent day led to that night ride being a nice closer for it all. And yes, the riders hath rejoiced upon return to the station. But that was just one ride. The other prior 5 or so rides were all "meh," and I still consider it one of the most overrated coasters I've ever ridden. I still think Voyage is far better, even with its occasional roughness.

Having said that, I bumped Beast to #2 on my overrated list, and planted Raptor in my #1.

There's great moments on coasters, and there's generally great coasters. I finally had one of those "religious experiences?" on The Beast last year right before the park closed, getting last train that night. Something about not being surrounded by enthusiasts mixed in with being tired from an overall excellent day led to that night ride being a nice closer for it all. And yes, the riders hath rejoiced upon return to the station. But that was just one ride. The other prior 5 or so rides were all "meh," and I still consider it one of the most overrated coasters I've ever ridden. I still think Voyage is far better, even with its occasional roughness.

Having said that, I bumped Beast to #2 on my overrated list, and planted Raptor in my #1.

I agree with both of these choices, although I'd put Beast WAY higher than Raptor. At least with Raptor, I can enjoy the first drop, loop, and the double helix, all of which are really great. Too bad the turn into the final brake run was so hastily designed, and those corkscrews... ugh. As big of a B&M fanboy as I am - and they don't come much bigger than me - the majority of the corkscrews on their coasters are head-bangers.

The Beast has a really good layout, but beyond that, it's insanely vulgar. It's like taking a nice scenic sled ride through the woods, except instead of a sled, they strap you to a furiously spinning washing machine full of bricks that rearranges your spine into a jigsaw. Any ride that leaves me rubbing my back instead of smiling is generally not looking at a good write-up.

My #1 choice, however, is probably Skyrush. I liken the ride experience to Dwayne Johnson dropping the barbell with weights he uses for bench presses across my legs. If that makes me a pussy... well then, I'm guilty as charged, I suppose. Not only that, but poor Comet is completely emasculated by it. Skyrush has all the visual appeal of something I hastily shoehorned into one of my RollerCoaster Tycoon parks during my teenage years.

*sigh*

Okay fine, the Stengel dive is cool... but that's NO EXCUSE.

By the way Midgetman82, your Flickr page is all kinds of awesome and has earned you a follower.

*EDIT: Didn't realize you can't say the A-word here. Duly noted.

I've always just unconsciously stuck my head forward from the OTSR's during any sort of snappy corkscrew and had no problem with it (other than standups becuase they suck). Maybe it's just me, but I've always found Raptor perfectly smooth and really enjoy the snap into the brakes. Especially for a 23 year old ride, now.

My #1 choice, however, is probably Skyrush. I liken the ride experience to Dwayne Johnson dropping the barbell with weights he uses for bench presses across my legs. If that makes me a pussy... well then, I'm guilty as charged, I suppose. Not only that, but poor Comet is completely emasculated by it. Skyrush has all the visual appeal of something I hastily shoehorned into one of my RollerCoaster Tycoon parks during my teenage years.

*sigh*

Okay fine, the Stengel dive is cool... but that's NO EXCUSE.

Skyrush is the greatest thing ever. But I totally get why people would hate it. The "all Skyrush haters are pussies" thing is totally in jest. That said, you can minimize pain by sitting toward the front (front row is the best - that back left IS the death seat), avoiding the outer seats (tho I am a masochist so I prefer them), hanging onto the grabbars the entire ride, and tucking your legs under so your calves are hugging the bottom of the seats. Its a really strange way to ride a coaster but if you sit that way and anticipate the ejector moments and sorta ride into them (there's only like 4 of them, right?) it makes it a completely enjoyable experience. No other coaster makes me feel that vulnerable/terrified throughout.

Skyrush is the greatest thing ever. But I totally get why people would hate it. The "all Skyrush haters are pussies" thing is totally in jest. That said, you can minimize pain by sitting toward the front (front row is the best - that back left IS the death seat), avoiding the outer seats (tho I am a masochist so I prefer them), hanging onto the grabbars the entire ride, and tucking your legs under so your calves are hugging the bottom of the seats. Its a really strange way to ride a coaster but if you sit that way and anticipate the ejector moments and sorta ride into them (there's only like 4 of them, right?) it makes it a completely enjoyable experience. No other coaster makes me feel that vulnerable/terrified throughout.

It's all good. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. Then again, there are people who dislike Fury 325, which is the smoking gun that they are terrible human beings and should be catapulted into space for the good of our planet.

I appreciate the pointers and I'll put them into action the next time I take a spin on it. As a balding man rocking cargo shorts and occasionally slinging a low-end DSLR camera around his neck, it's difficult to fathom looking any more ridiculous than I already do.

• 5 weeks later...

Expedition Geforce is so rated, it simply HAS to be overrated. No rollercoaster can possibly live up to how Expedion Geforce is seemingly worshiped in the coaster world. My expectations are super high for this ride, so much so that I feel I can only be disappointed, which is annoying. Does anyone have a legitimate crappy review for this ride to lower my expectations to a reasonable level?