TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

Th complete Rivers of Light soundtrack has found its way to YouTube... Absolutely stunning in my opinion (right up there with Illumintion's soundtrack)...additionally, the soundtrack clocks in at just over 18 minutes which makes this a reasonably long show (longer than Wishes or Illumintions) .Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLwdJR6lzOU

^I hope they keep the focus on the world of Pandora itself, and not use any of the plot from the movie. Regardless it looks like it will be a visually stunning place to visit.

I believe I read somewhere, that the timeline of Pandora was several years or so after the movie, which is why the

mess hall is still there. That's all that remains of the old settlement.

That's what I read about the "backstory" of the place.

Looks like i'll have the same reaction to this as I do Potter: visually stunning and really cool, but I have no interest in the IP itself. I hope the storytelling avoids the Potter trap, where you have to know the IP to really get it...

Like a lot of people I never really liked the movie but I'm still quite excited about Pandora as a land! It's funny how being in a tactile and physically immersive environment can make for such a great experience even if your not a fan of the work/IP on which it's based on. Again, like a lot of people I feel the same way about HP. I don't care for the movies but I love the theme park version of them.

• 1 month later...

Over a month, and no posts! Well, today the Disney Parks Blog released some new info about Pandora- The World of Avatar! Take a look below.

kjdn0813.thumb.png.275a8c408023492cda258d81833680b6.png

Just Announced: Pandora – The World of Avatar Will Open May 27 at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Thomas Smith

by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

Just moments ago on The Walt Disney Company Q1 FY17 Earnings call, CEO Bob Iger shared the exciting news that Pandora – The World of Avatar will open at Disney’s Animal Kingdom on May 27.

ava2342342342.jpg.980fa6b4f950fd26797d3079cad83739.jpgava34534522523.jpg.10401df96e2f4660ade7f724b1d4e03a.jpg

Pandora - The World of Avatar Pandora - The World of Avatar

This new land will transport guests to the visually stunning world of Pandora. Here, guests will wonder at floating mountains and bioluminescent plants, and can join the Na’vi on two excursions that take adventure to the next level.

First, the family friendly Na’vi River Journey will send guests through a bioluminescent rainforest. Their journey will end in an unforgettable encounter with a Na’vi Shaman, a figure who has a deep connection to the life force of Pandora. And second, Avatar Flight of Passage will offer guests the jaw-dropping experience of exploring the world of Pandora atop a Banshee.

Guests will also be able to dine at Satu’li Canteen, grab a drink at Pongu Pongu or shop for Na’vi cultural items, toys, science kits, and more at Windtraders.

Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more information.

Disney Parks Blog

Its finally happening! The damn thing is finally going to open!

Also, Visitpandora.com

ADMIN EDIT: Please do not post anything from WDWNT on our site. They are a horrible group of people who have been banned from Disney events for posting stuff that they know they shouldn't. We do not want to associate with them at all. thanks.

Edited by robbalvey

^Somewhere out there I saw that the ride vehicles might hold two people per banshee or something, and the theaters look huge with multiple levels so I'm sure capacity will be sufficient. I'm probably more excited about the river journey attraction than the Flight of Passage, love me a boat ride.

Somewhere on Twitter yesterday I saw a picture of the bio-luminescence stuff testing near the entrance pathway and it looked pretty incredible, even in a crappy picture taken in the daylight.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/02/rivers-of-light-officially-opens-february-17-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

For more than a year, Disney’s Animal Kingdom has continued its evolution to a day-to-night park by introducing a rich variety of new nighttime experiences – from Kilimanjaro Safaris after sunset and fine dining at Tiffins, to the vibrant entertainment at the Harambe Wildlife Parti and Discovery Island Carnivale. And when the Tree of Life awakens after dark, it is truly a sight to behold!

Today, we’re happy to announce one of the park’s newest nighttime experiences, “Rivers of Light,” will make its official debut on February 17.

Continuing the grand Disney tradition of innovative, after-dark entertainment, “Rivers of Light” combines live performance, floating set pieces, a soaring musical score, fountains and more in a celebration of animals and nature. The story magically unfolds on the broad natural stage of the Discovery River, conveying the uplifting spirit of an ancient and timeless lantern ceremony and filled with symbolism, storytelling and plenty of heart.

To make dining or FastPass+ reservations for this new show, visit MyDisneyExperience.com or the My Disney Experience app.

And don’t forget that the next step in the expansion of Disney’s Animal Kingdom – the grand debut of Pandora – The World of Avatar – will take place on May 27, 2017.

Keep your eye on the Disney Parks Blog, as we share more details on what’s new and what’s next for Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

nrolrut85764697.thumb.jpg.59e581ee19842e44e4361e25817a7046.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/02/reservations-open-today-for-rivers-of-light-dining-package-debuting-february-17-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

“Rivers of Light,” the new nighttime show that debuts February 17 at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, will wow guests with live performers, a soaring musical score, grand theatrical imagery and innovative water special effects that celebrate the relationship between animals and nature. The new show comes to life on select nights after dark on the Discovery River between Discovery Island and Expedition Everest.

The park’s culinary team is working on special dining packages at both Tiffins and Tusker House Restaurant to add to the special evening.

Similar to the popular “Fantasmic!” Dining Packages at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, the “Rivers of Light” Dining Package includes reserved seating at the new show. At all-you-care-to-eat Tusker House, you can choose the breakfast, lunch or dinner buffet on the day of the show (but you have to dine at least 2 ½ hours before the show). Breakfast is $37, $23 ages 3 to 9, plus tax and gratuity; lunch and dinner, $49, $30 ages 3 to 9, plus tax and gratuity. Tusker House Restaurant is on the Disney Dining Plan and counts as one table-service meal.

At Tiffins, “Rivers of Light” Dining Packages are available at both lunch and dinner. Choose your favorite appetizer, entrée, dessert plus a non-alcoholic beverage. Dining must take place at least two and a half hours prior to showtime. Cost is $67, $32 ages 3 to 9 plus tax and gratuity. Tiffins accepts the Disney Dining Plan, and counts as two table-service meal entitlements.

Reservations are now open and can be made by visiting DisneyWorld.com/dining or calling 407-WDW-DINE.

0520Tiffins119.jpg.009a40fd4e02caafe5fa9c805ca01a95.jpg0520ZUtiffins0.thumb.jpg.c2b85759e44b34f683a969b5ce6bdcce.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/02/visitpandora-com-your-portal-to-pandora-the-world-of-avatar/

vpws47858967.thumb.png.e8d92e954a7017fc06f6f9a21e00f87a.png

Have you ever dreamed of exploring Pandora – The World of Avatar coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom later this spring?

Well, now is your chance with VisitPandora.com.

Guests of VisitPandora.com can learn about the floating mountains, flying banshees and other flora and animals of the exotic world.

VisitPandora.com was created by Alpha Centauri Expeditions (ACE), the exclusive provider of tours to Pandora – The World of Avatar – taking you inside this extraordinary environment – up close and personal.

Visiting this site, you can see first-hand how the team at ACE can transport you to Pandora to check-out the experiences that await you there.

In addition, you also will be able to get more information about travel to Pandora through Visit Pandora’s Twitter and Instagram accounts. There ACE’s field experts, scientists and others from the land sharing photos and videos of their expeditions.

And coming soon to VisitPandora.com will be your official ACE “experts,” who will take questions from guests about their future journeys through Pandora.

Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more information about Pandora: The World of Avatar. We’ll bring you the latest updates from VisitPandora.com.

If you’re wondering – how do they do it? Well, that’s proprietary.

But, the result, is a breathtaking journey to another world!

ace239857124.thumb.jpg.3bcecbfa5926144c1d14ba81d045b8fe.jpg

I am still confused what the Banshee attraction will be. I have been thinking it's just a simulator similar to Soarin'. It sounds interesting if you're on a vehicle similar to Tron. I'm curious to see images or hear about what the experience is like.

Edit... I did a google search for the attraction and I fully understand it now. Some interesting images. I'm hoping they do in fact have multiple theatres for this to allow for high capacity lol.

Looks like Disney did a preview show for the "Social Media Moms":

As someone who actually likes World of Color, this looks incredibly boring. It's like they took World of Color, made it slower, and took out all the energy, excitement, and spectacle (except for the last minute or so). Yes, the floats themselves are somewhat technologically impressive, but they get lost in the scale of the lagoon. It's hard to believe that this came from the same entertainment group that did Fantasmic and Illuminations (or, for that matter, Disney Dreams! and Ignite the Dream in Paris and Shanghai).

No one goes to Illuminations just for the Globe segment.

It's only a sneak peak, so I suppose that it could be tweaked before the official opening, but I doubt they can do anything in the next week that they wouldn't have done in the last 10 months since the originally scheduled opening.

Oh no! I'm literally going to be at Disney the week before the official opening

What are the chances of soft openings?

It will be a crapshoot. Historically, Disney tends to do soft openings...but your visit may also coincide with a private preview for cast members, media, etc. too.

• 3 weeks later...

Pandora media teasers have been making the rounds on the ABC daily shows and it all looks really really cool. There was another video from Good Mrning America that showed off a few food and beverage offerings including some funky looking cheesecake and glowing drinks. Nighttime in the section looks like it is going to be spectacular.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

• 4 weeks later...