Kolmården Discussion Thread

P. 148 - Official Wildfire POV Posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Re: Wildfire - 2016 Kolmarden Rocky Mountain Woodie Announce

Postby Turtle Wax » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:51 pm

_koppen wrote:The noise levels are unlikely to go away, the neighbors simply don't want the ride there (well not all of the neighbors care, but around 30 households do). They can cover the drop and add noise screens though so it is fixable.

What really boggles my mind about noise levels of the coaster are that you don't even know the ride is there! You can't hear or see it unless you're almost right next to it way in the back of the park, nowhere near the main road.
-Bryan
1165 Magnum XL-200 Laps in 2010!

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby CP Maverick » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:40 pm

Wasn't it the environmental people that said it was too much noise? Something about disturbing the wildlife outside the park in the immediate area?
Original Maverick '99

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:56 am

A.J. wrote:I mean, I don't necessarily blame the neighbors, if I weren't already a roller coaster person I too would likely be upset that I now have a noisy roller coaster outside my front door. But, at the same time, the park is only open until 8:00 PM at the latest during the summer of 2017, so it's not like Wildfire would be running while I'm trying to sleep. Perhaps Wildfire will turn into Balder in that regard.

I agree. It's hard to say how I would react if I wasn't an enthusiast, but I tend to be a pretty tolerante guy. In Sweden it is seen as a civil right to complain about every little aspect in life, so we do have a culture of these things.

A.J. wrote:I've always seen the two-lane road when looking at satellite imagery of the park, but I didn't realize that the road was seriously having a Knoebels problem (being backed up for miles due to parking lot traffic). I could see why that would drive some people nuts.

It's important to remember though that it have always been this way, it's not entirely related to the coaster itself. The town is working on improvements but I doubt they are going to fix a new road or any large scale solution.

Turtle Wax wrote:What really boggles my mind about noise levels of the coaster are that you don't even know the ride is there! You can't hear or see it unless you're almost right next to it way in the back of the park, nowhere near the main road.

There is a living area down toward the water, eastern of the park. From Wildfire to there it is almost only downhill.

CP Maverick wrote:Wasn't it the environmental people that said it was too much noise? Something about disturbing the wildlife outside the park in the immediate area?

The environmentalist have focused almost entirely on the animals in this question when it comes to noise levels. There is a protected nature area just outside the park that some have brought up but the main focus seems to be the animals and for the neibourghs it's the noise.
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kolmården Discussion Thread

Postby jray21 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:08 am

I wonder if it will be getting the Gold Striker treatment.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Stonem » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Good news for Kolmarden!
It seems that Wildfire doesn't need to be torn down anymore :)
They just need to modify the zoning plan, so when they get everything cleaned up, the coaster will operate again.

sources: http://tjock.se/passet/art/360548/kolmrden_slipper_riva_wildfire/
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=160&artikel=6615429
http://themeparkfreaks.eu/2017/01/wildfire-in-kolmarden-blijft-bespaart-van-de-sloophamer/
Coaster Counter : 168

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Stonem wrote:Good news for Kolmarden!
They just need to modify the zoning plan, so when they get everything cleaned up, the coaster will operate again.

That is good news for sure!! Glad everything seems to be working out good for the coaster, and the park!
Bigger is not always better.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby SteelForceless » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Great to hear that Wildfire is reopening...eventually!

Postby _koppen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:50 pm

Stonem wrote:Good news for Kolmarden!

There wasn't really any risk of it having to be torned down. What is the risk, and what we are still waiting for, is if they are allowed to operate the ride or not before the plan is voted into effect and appealed all the way to the top. :airtime:
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Postby _koppen » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 am

Update on Wildfire! The ride was operating last summer on an interim permit that was valid as long as the appeal case was in motion. That's why they closed it the same day as the final ruling came in.

New zoning plan is done and out on display for people to raise their concerns. It will be voted into effete in May according to the current plan. It's already known that appeals will come, so the process will probably take another year or so to clear out.

Big question is if they can open the ride as usual this season or not. The town can give out another interim permit, but if that were to happen the interim permit can also be appealed. Also the town and the park is now very careful now not to do anything against the rules, due to obvious circumstances.

We will know more in a few weeks, but they are taking a big economical hit on not being able to market the ride. Wildfire training is done on operators of other rides, so they can open it on short notice.

Skärmavbild 2017-03-13 kl. 17.51.30.png

New ride for this year, flying carpets! Been known for quite a while, but it's the first rendering of it. I thought it was going to be a regular flying carpet ride, but this seems more aimed toward children.
No. 1 Water Park guy!

Postby _koppen » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 am

Wildfire have gotten the go-ahed for 2017 from the local town, in accordance with their and their lawyers interpretation of the law and the previous interim permit.

Kolmården have not yet decided, they want to have their lawyers go through the material first as they don't want to jepordize the ongoing work with the zoning plan. But everything should be fine for 2017. An announcement is probably given in the next few days/weeks.

I could try and translate why a go ahead have been given an all that, but let's just call it complicated law and lawyer stuff.
No. 1 Water Park guy!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!