TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

Club Pleasure Beach Experience have posted some pictures from today's official start of construction, including a nice shot over the station towards the two launches!

The car......... Am i missing something here, has the theme been announced yet or is this F1 Car a MASSIVE teaser?

Upon Closer Inspection the car has construction on the side and 2018 in Roman Numerals on the front. I'd eat my hat if this ride wasnt F1 themed

Hasn't that car been there for years? I haven't been since Bling's opening year so I could be wrong and the new coaster would be a nice homage to the ride it replaced but I wonder if the cars there as a memorial almost. Didn't they also put a F1 driver in a real car (minus engine) that was bolted and sent it around on the Big One a while ago around that time because Grand Prix had a refresh/retheme?

^ Good to know, I loved the Grand Prix when I was young. I could see it in the overhead picture but for some reason I thought I'd read it was also going to be removed around the time the monorail closed and just assumed it would go later when construction got heavier.

Hasn't that car been there for years? I haven't been since Bling's opening year so I could be wrong and the new coaster would be a nice homage to the ride it replaced but I wonder if the cars there as a memorial almost. Didn't they also put a F1 driver in a real car (minus engine) that was bolted and sent it around on the Big One a while ago around that time because Grand Prix had a refresh/retheme?

^Nope the car is new, it's likely a hint towards the theme. Also the new coaster won't be replacing a ride as such, the only ride to be removed for this is the swamp buggies. The Grand Prix is still standing and wont be removed.

According to Temleh on CPBE, it's the same F1 car that normally sits outside the Grand Prix and it's the same car that got sent down the Big One.

It's also got nothing to do with the name or the theme, it's just there to help get across the idea of the acceleration to the public.

Yes they did send it round the big one with a driver in it.

Looks like it is most likely the same car re-decorated. And most probably does point towards an F1 theme, possibly sponsored by an F1 team.

I don't speak German, so I had to read that in translation, but that is quite intriguing. I loved the High Five on Twisted Colossus, but that's a coaster that was designed for the element. This would be quite a challenge to design this coaster to interact with an entirely different one. Do you know if there are plans to modify the Big Dipper to accommodate this, or is the new coaster going to be designed to interact with Big Dipper as it is?

• 1 month later...
I don't speak German, so I had to read that in translation, but that is quite intriguing. I loved the High Five on Twisted Colossus, but that's a coaster that was designed for the element. This would be quite a challenge to design this coaster to interact with an entirely different one. Do you know if there are plans to modify the Big Dipper to accommodate this, or is the new coaster going to be designed to interact with Big Dipper as it is?

There's no plans to change the Big Dipper and the new coaster will fit in around the existing attractions at the park, the only removal will be the Go Karts from underneath Steeplechase.

• 3 weeks later...

Club Pleasure Beach (Experience) have been putting on a lot of stuff about the new coaster lately and out of season work. I don't know if you guys would be interested but with this being a Pleasure Beach thread I thought it's possible some people would be interested in seeing the out of season work too.

The new coaster in 2018 will be a very exciting project to follow through the year for us Brits!

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

Two updates from BPB in terms of the new coaster, firstly an official update from the park;

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Secondly, a fan made update from the park;

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

1deb31061d1b7cfc5499f269742a0ea6.jpg

Blackpool's new multi launch Mack coaster will be called Icon.

Press release:

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/business/video-name-revealed-for-blackpool-pleasure-beach-s-new-16-25m-rollercoaster-1-8485493

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has revealed the name of its new £16.25 million rollercoaster set to open to thrill-seekers next year. The name of the ride – the UK’s first double launch rollercoaster – was revealed with a touch of Holywood glitz, with a movie-style trailer giving a taste of what it will be like to ride. The CGI film takes viewers onboard the ride as it powers through, over and around other rides including The Big One and Steeplechase.

The footage also give the first hint of how the ride would be themed, with a red Japanese emblem embedded within the logo. Managing Director Amanda Thompson hinted at an Asian influence for the attraction last month when she hinted she wanted a garden of tranquility included in the final pans. The Icon brand includes a Japanese emblem But her forus right now is on the coaster’s raw power. The Asian influence She said: “Icon is going to be one of the most talked about, iconic rollercoasters of the future.

The name speaks for itself as it will be one of the most iconic rides on the planet. “This is Blackpool Pleasure Beachs biggest investment to date and will have a real impact on the town and region as a whole.” Deputy Managing Director, Nick Thompson, who has spearheaded the engineering side of the project is exctited to finally have a name. He said: “After more than 43,000 hours of planning and with the first phase of construction work complete, we’re thrilled to unveil the name of this incredible new attraction today and to provide rollercoaster enthusiasts with a first-look at Icon.”

Icon is being manufactured by Mack Rides in Waldkirch, Germany, the same firm which built the Avalanche rollercoaster for the park. In October work began on the foundations of the ride which will snake around and through the Pleasure Beach’s existing attractions. It will dive through the Big One, weave around Steeplechase and includes a ‘high five’ pass with the historic Big Dipper. The station for the ride is being built in the bed of what was the Tom Sawyer lake, a current Steelwork for the ride is expected to begin being installed once the current season has ended. So far more than 5500 tonnes of soil has been excavated and over 8,000 metres of pre-cast concrete piles and steel tubes have been driven up to 12 metres into the ground.