TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

...Also looks like there will still be two easy expansion locations left after this work is done. There will still be a gap between Toy Story Land and Frozen, plus an area next to Grizzly Gulch.

I'd always been thinking, there was still the possibility of adding a Toy Story Midway Mania ride, there in that gap.

Anyway...

I wish Disneyland in California would get a nicer castle too, but I can't imagine how much that would anger the purists....

Disneyland is the most authentic Magic Kingdom park, it would be smart to keep it that way I think. As for other Magic Kingdom parks, get as modern and innovative as they possibly can!

I hate that argument. I would be THRILLED if Disneyland re-did the castle and hub to not make a giant clusterf*ck for fireworks and parades....

Disneyland is currently my least favorite park because it's packed way beyond it's designed capacity. Shoehorning in extra attractions doesn't help when the main walkways were never expanded.

I wish Disneyland in California would get a nicer castle too, but I can't imagine how much that would anger the purists....

Disneyland is the most authentic Magic Kingdom park, it would be smart to keep it that way I think. As for other Magic Kingdom parks, get as modern and innovative as they possibly can!

I hate that argument. I would be THRILLED if Disneyland re-did the castle and hub to not make a giant clusterf*ck for fireworks and parades....

Disneyland is currently my least favorite park because it's packed way beyond it's designed capacity. Shoehorning in extra attractions doesn't help when the main walkways were never expanded.

I agree, but it's really hard when the park is centered around nostalgia. People would flip their shit if the park re-built the castle.

That is some very impressive concept art! The redesign of their Castle is quite impressive. Like the concept art for the Frozen section. I am not a Disneyland purist, the hub does a redesign for the crowd flow.

I agree, but it's really hard when the park is centered around nostalgia. People would flip their poo-poo if the park re-built the castle.

So expand the walkways without drastically altering the castle. Start with getting rid of that monstrosity clogging up Tomorrowland's entrance.

People would go nuts and still gladly buy their $1000 premium pass...

Back to the topic of HKDL...glad to see this park growing into its own instead of a distant cousin of Disneyland. I can't wait to get back between all this expansion and being so close to Macau!

The Frozen area looks amazing! I've never been excited enough by what I've seen of HKDL to plan a trip there but that could definitely change once all this is done!

I for one would not be completely against doing something similar with Disneyland's castle. I get that it's a Walt original and all, but still. As it is now it doesn't look anything like the Sleeping Beauty castle in the movie anyway.

I wonder if there are other things yet to be announced. If they're taking two years to rebuild and modify the castle, maybe there will be a walkthrough or restaurant inside. Fantasyland could still use another dark ride. Adventureland needs a good ride unless they're planning to get rid of Lion King when Moana opens. From the Marvel land concept art, it looks like Jedi Training Academy will have to be moved as it's right smack dab in front of the land. Hopefully Toy Story land gets some kind of marquee attraction. But all in all, the expansion looks good. It's best to get this first gate right before starting on the second gate.

Disneyland's castle is untouchable. People have been taking pictures in front of it for over 60 years so the framing of shots for comparison over time would be completely thrown off. A major redesign of the hub would be a huge costly mess for years pushing back the entrances of the surrounding lands and attempting to widen the walkways. It would be little gain for the mess and expense. The one that does makes sense to change and would relieve congestion is Tomorrowland's awful entrance. Get ride of the rocks and push Astro Orbiter back on top of the Astro Jets platform.

There would be no point in redoing Disneyland's castle. The hub area though, I agree that improvements definitely should be made for crowd control.

It makes sense for Hong Kong to re-do the castle because while it is a nice park, it doesn't really have an identity, and in the age of the internet it comes across as a cheap imitation. You can say Tokyo does as well but the Japanese love Disney and Americana so much that getting a clone was a viewed as a huge success for them at the time.

^ This also disproves the (then) notion, that ALL of the Disney castles are un-touchable.*

But there was that uh....pink thing(overlay)...back on WDW's 25th? Mmmm tasty.

And now, interestingly, another iconic building is being redone at DCA - their Tower of Terror.

Hmmm. It makes me wonder if any Space Mountain from a park, might be eventually getting a more... "futuristic" look?

*Except The Original. No deal. Ever.

Given its popularity in the other parks, I'm surprised they haven't announced a Midway Mania clone as part of this expansion. Seems strange that the two parks with dedicated Toy Story lands miss out on this ride, and have a collection of mediocre flats instead.

^ Agreed. And there is definitely space within both parks (this and Shanghai) to do it.

Maybe this is their way of keeping us anxious about such an obvious add-in, lol.

I speak from personal feelings about this.

^ When 99.9% of all of this is actually going ahead and being built.

But with everything else happening around the Disney World, you may be right.

Except for poor, poor Paris. They're late for a new attraction. Since Ratatouille.

^ Probably, lol. But there's still that luscious BIG section of the park, in Adventureland, right beside Indy Coaster.

There was talk of an actual Jungle Cruise in that spot. Then, an extension of this Indy into a clone of the Indy at Disneyland.

And still the land sits. Usually it's easy to see from the train, before you head into the Pirates tunnel.

^ Agreed. And there is definitely space within both parks (this and Shanghai) to do it.

Maybe this is their way of keeping us anxious about such an obvious add-in, lol.

I speak from personal feelings about this.

Since both HK and Shanghai have extra space for another park or two on property, opening a midway mania at the other park would be a better choice because the existing rides are enough to sell toy story merchandise and a midway mania clone at the other park can sell toy story merchandise as well so that means more money for Disney.

Edited by gerstlaueringvar

So when can it be officially declared we're in another Disney theme park renaissance?

In 7 years when most of this stuff is actually done. I do look forward to "Actually, I love screens and screen based attractions now" talk though.

...DLP needed a fixer-upper before anything else. We should be glad for all the refurbishments they're doing.

Plus Star Tours II is coming in March.

I totally agree with this about all the refurbishments in the park going on. The whole area around (and in) Big Thunder Mountain was definitely

in need of this. And I know a make over for Star Tours is good, too. Still. I am hoping that by next year, the 25th Anniversary, they

might have a Major Announcement to make.

And now, back to our regular Hong Kong Disneyland thread...

NewStuff05.thumb.jpg.e33f0a361bf27e2f90a89790ca773e68.jpg

I love it! But.....where will Sven be?