TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I read somewhere just now that new track was spotted by Gwazi, they claim to see rails similar looking to RMC, anyone goin to the park soon that could take a peak? I'll believe it when I see it but wow this would be amazing ! I know there are no projects for RMC in 2017 but a project like this would likely be for 2018. Looks like something is developing in Tampa.

Could you post a link to where you read it?

EDIT: I think I found the link I think the track pieces they see are similar to Mean Streak in that it's deconstructed old track, not new RMC track.

If construction is truly taking place and they're being careful enough to remove track sections, I think it's fair to say they aren't doing full demo and they found some use for the structure!

Edited by chickenbowl

It is also important to note that the ride's wood has been carefully pulled from portions of the structure to be reused across the Florida parks. The Sea Rescue gift shop at the entrance of SeaWorld Orlando utilizes repurposed wood from Gwazi. It is also possible that portions of the track came from the station, which was gutted to allow for the park to mockup the Cobra's Curse moving walkway system before installing it at the new coaster.

Apparently BGT is getting a new show in 2017, called Wildlife Docs Live, and will be themed after their TV show Wildlife docs. I've heard a rumor that the animals in the show will be done by Joel Slaven, the same company that does Opening Night Critters and the other pet shows at SEAs parks, and that one of the animals in the show will be a sloth.

RMC of Gwazi would be awesome but every time I hear someone from BGT talk about Gwazi they always sound like they haven't decided what to do with it yet so I would be very surprised if they had track on site for it already. I predict that the next major attraction at BGT will be in 2018, but there are other projects that the park needs to get done, like tearing down Tidal Wave and Gwazi, and perhaps finally replacing the defunct Rhino Rally with the long rumored elephant habitat expansion.

Is it possible to upgrade the quick queue pass to an unlimited quick queue pass AT THE PARK?

You should be able to. I visited a few months ago and called because I couldn't decide what ticket package to get and they told me I could upgrade my one day ticket to an all weekend ticket if I chose to (either now, once at the park, or even after I spent my day at the park), so I assume the same can be done for Quick Queue. They basically made it out that all upgrades are possible. I was very impressed with the entire process/system.

A friend of mine on Facebook gave me permission to share:

Hi friends. Since you'll find out soon enough, I'd rather you hear it from me. An area at the park, Jambo junction, is being closed. This is where our animal ambassadors reside and we have a wonderful team here in the education department dedicated to working with these animals. We lost a big part of that team, and our heart yesterday. The future seems uncertain, but here's what I know: park leadership responds to what our guests ask for. So, if you love Jambo and our animals, feel free to mention in a comment in the park at guest relations, and/ or on social media why you love it, and why you'd like to see it back. I'd like to ask you to focus your comments on positive things, maybe like a favorite memory you have there. If people love it, that will #savejambo

A friend of mine on Facebook gave me permission to share:
Hi friends. Since you'll find out soon enough, I'd rather you hear it from me. An area at the park, Jambo junction, is being closed. This is where our animal ambassadors reside and we have a wonderful team here in the education department dedicated to working with these animals. We lost a big part of that team, and our heart yesterday. The future seems uncertain, but here's what I know: park leadership responds to what our guests ask for. So, if you love Jambo and our animals, feel free to mention in a comment in the park at guest relations, and/ or on social media why you love it, and why you'd like to see it back. I'd like to ask you to focus your comments on positive things, maybe like a favorite memory you have there. If people love it, that will #savejambo

I don't have a Facebook account, but I'm sharing this with everyone I know. Bless Jambo Junction!

Busch Gardens News and Updates:

Jambo Junction: Closed as of Dec. 6th, unlikely to ever reopen. SEA slashed the animal ambassador programs across all of the parks, with lots of layoffs in this department. Julie Scardina who is the corporate face of this program "retired" within this past month, and it can be assumed with the shear number of layoffs and closures to animal ambassador programs throughout SEAs that the company is attempting to end the animal ambassador program for good. As stated above the only way to save this program would be to write comments to the park, as a lot of the parks decisions are basd on the feedback that it recie

Hotel Project: The park now has a concrete plan for a hotel, I would expect an announcement on this fairly soon.

2017: Off year for the park, just the new wildlife docs live show in the stanleyville theater.

2018 and 2019: Expect a new attract for each of these years, with 2019 being a larger attraction. One of these attractions will go on the site of Tidal wave, and the park looks to revitalize the Stanleyville area of the park with this. Bird gardens is the the other location, probably where the larger attraction will go, Jim Dean has stated that this area of the park needs attention and intends on revitalizing it.

Gwazi: Gwazi will be coming down, I would expect this next year and will likely make way for part of the new birdgardens project. No RMC.

HOS 2017: Expect a new element for 2017 as the park tries to stay relevant with increased competition. The park has also seemed frustrated with how the theme was implemented this year, as it was not present at all in the actual event.

I hate that they're getting rid of the animal ambassador program. I understand it financially, but that's a real shame. The fact that Six Flags Great Adventure will have a better "animal ambassador" style program than Busch Gardens is kind of amazing.

As far as Jambo Junction goes, I'll be honest. We love this park and we always check out the animal exhibits and I never knew this was a thing. It looks cool, but it's location makes it sort of hidden and since we didn't even know it existed while actively seeking out animal exhibits I guess I can sort of see why it might have had a low amount of foot traffic. It's a shame, but I can't be that upset since I never knew it existed.

I'm finally getting to this park in a few months, it's a shame they have to close that part, from the pictures I looked at it looked like a great experience. Sucks for all the people who lost their jobs right before the holidays as well. Hopefully the company as a whole has a good year next year. I have loved SeaWorld Orlando every time I've been and looking forward to getting down to Busch Gardens Tampa for a few days next year. I'm buying a plantiumn pass for Williamsburg for the first time next year and looking forward to visiting multiple times.

So i guess theyre tearing down gwazi! Well I was hoping they would rmc it like the Twisted Colossus that wouldve been marevolous! What a big shame! But what ever floats their boat!

I would take what he said with a grain of salt. I don't believe it till the park announces or a reputable source says something. That being said his guess on the next few years would seem pretty typical for a park like this.

On the Gwazi note, I'm not quite yet sold on the tear down. Their initial excuse was lack of funds but look what they've done since then. I don't think you keep an eye sore like that in your park for that long without having plans. Then again I'm not Busch Gardens, I guess we'll continue to sit tight to see what happens.

Busch Gardens News and Updates:

Jambo Junction: Closed as of Dec. 6th, unlikely to ever reopen. SEA slashed the animal ambassador programs across all of the parks, with lots of layoffs in this department. Julie Scardina who is the corporate face of this program "retired" within this past month, and it can be assumed with the shear number of layoffs and closures to animal ambassador programs throughout SEAs that the company is attempting to end the animal ambassador program for good. As stated above the only way to save this program would be to write comments to the park, as a lot of the parks decisions are basd on the feedback that it recie

Hotel Project: The park now has a concrete plan for a hotel, I would expect an announcement on this fairly soon.

2017: Off year for the park, just the new wildlife docs live show in the stanleyville theater.

2018 and 2019: Expect a new attract for each of these years, with 2019 being a larger attraction. One of these attractions will go on the site of Tidal wave, and the park looks to revitalize the Stanleyville area of the park with this. Bird gardens is the the other location, probably where the larger attraction will go, Jim Dean has stated that this area of the park needs attention and intends on revitalizing it.

Gwazi: Gwazi will be coming down, I would expect this next year and will likely make way for part of the new birdgardens project. No RMC.

HOS 2017: Expect a new element for 2017 as the park tries to stay relevant with increased competition. The park has also seemed frustrated with how the theme was implemented this year, as it was not present at all in the actual event.

Where are you getting this information from? Do you have a source or is it all just guess?

It is a bummer about the animal ambassador program, if it is true that they are ending it. I haven't necessarily heard that the program is going away for good, but Jambo was a big part of it.

I get that Jambo is pretty hidden. I didn't visit BGT as a "normal" guest for a long time, so the first time I ever set foot into the park (besides back areas) was into Jambo as a camp counselor/employee. I was amazed what animal experiences even an average guest could have back there. Feeding the flamingos was the best! However, I bet the recent incident with the flamingo contributed to their motivation to close Jambo.

I wonder what is going to happen to the animals back in that area?

On the Gwazi note, I'm not quite yet sold on the tear down. Their initial excuse was lack of funds but look what they've done since then. I don't think you keep an eye sore like that in your park for that long without having plans. Then again I'm not Busch Gardens, I guess we'll continue to sit tight to see what happens.

Last year, from what they told us, they were throwing ideas around but hadn't decided yet. Even though I don't work there any more and probably never will, I'm not sure if I should say the specifics. However, I doubt what's going on now was foreseen, so maybe everything is off the table now that the company seems to be in a huge transition phase.

This information is a combination of what I have heard from a friend of mine that works at the company, what I have heard at the different media day events that they have been having recently as well as a little guesswork to pull those snippets of information together.

All it takes is one 20 year old with three posts to send this thread straight into Rumorville, yet people snub screamscape.

Haha fair enough. I would be surprised if there wasn't healthy skepticism towards what I've said, considering I have no credibility. However I do have a decent amount of information so I figured this board would be interested, and if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Hopefully when announcements are made depending on what they are you'll be able to look back and decide if I am credible or not. Until then I'm glad to have joined the forum!

My take is wait and see what happens. Rumors are a dime a dozen and until the powers to be make an announcement it's just another Dipping Dots worker rumor run amok. A little prayer now and then wouldn't hurt though.

Well said.

I went to BGT yesterday and as I was leaving at around 8pm the line to get through the metal detectors was crazy, it had to be 20-30 minutes. The whole entrance plaza was full with a crowd and then a line snaked back past the ticket booth, past the tram dropoff, back to the Nairobi gate and looked like it was growing. Full trams were still being dropped off at the front of the park and hordes of people were skipping the tram to make the walk towards the gate. Parking lot looked full as well like it was in it was "drive around until you find someone leaving or a token empty spot" mode. I know it was a Saturday night during Christmas Town but I found that amazing considering the park closed at 10, so by the time all these people got in they would only have 1 1/2 hours or so until the park closed.