TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

So we're going Wednesday, opening to close. Any tips for navigating the park? What to do first?

My goal is to try and get on the major four (Sheikra, Kumba, Montu, Cheetah Hunt) as much as possible in back/front both sides of the train.

I'd recommend that you do cheetah hunt first as it has the longest lines. After that ride Montu and you can either take the skyride or walk to Sheikra. Then head on over to panotopia to ride falcon's fury and Kumba.

Navigating the park is pretty easy as there are signs every where that fell you where each attraction is. The map is pretty useful too.

Sky Ride is down for scheduled maintenance so you'll need to walk.

By the way, don't make the mistake of making this trip just about coasters. Take your time, check out the animals, watch the cheetah run presentation, pet / feed the Kangaroos / ride the train / ride the flume. There's way more to this park than coasters.

Personally it's my favorite park in Florida (I understand that that's incredibly high praise), the coasters are outstanding but there's so much more to this park than coasters.

Sky Ride is down for scheduled maintenance so you'll need to walk.

By the way, don't make the mistake of making this trip just about coasters. Take your time, check out the animals, watch the cheetah run presentation, pet / feed the Kangaroos / ride the train / ride the flume. There's way more to this park than coasters.

Personally it's my favorite park in Florida (I understand that that's incredibly high praise), the coasters are outstanding but there's so much more to this park than coasters.

Listen to Bill, he is knowledgeable.

Although I prefer BGW, Tampa is a very very very very very good park. Of course ride the coasters but like Bill said, make a point to visit all the animal exhibits. Depending on how late you stay I suggest hanging around the big cat exhibits around dusk as they tend to be way more active at that time. Ride Kumba in the back, Montu in the front and Shiekra in any row. Oh also make sure to drink a few cold buds while you're there. After all, this is Busch Gardens. Did I mention the park is very good?

Another thing that's great to check out at lunch time or early before Busch Gardens is the Yuengling brewery tour, which is right around the corner and also free. Beer is a great thing.

Also, Kumba.

Yes! I did the Yuengling tour in Pottsville. Way worth it.

^Agreed. Especially since the change of ownership/IPO resulting in no more free beer in the hospitality house. I agree with coasterbill that it's also my favorite park in Florida. Is Disney a better overall/resort experience? Yes, but if you go to Busch Gardens on a weekday for 75% of the year, you have the place to yourself other than Cheetah. If you like your theme parks in a laid back, mosey your way through the park, ride everything, enjoy beers, and see everything manner, Busch Gardens Tampa is the place. And Falcon's Fury to remind you that life is real.

Well after being the literal first person to enter the park today, it has no official become my favorite park EVER. The atmosphere, the music, the animals, the theming, everything is so top notch, it puts SFGAdv to shame.

Montu is CRAZY in the back, I f-ing LOVE it!!

Kumba back right is the magic seat like everyone said, amazing

Sheikra broke my dive coaster virginity and it was awesome, best airtime on the two drops.

Falcon's Fury is my favorite drop tower ever, made me extremely nervous the first time, but after reriding 3 more times, I became addicted.

All in all, I got to do everything I wanted, walk through the aviaries, and other walk through animal exhibits.

Just wow, the food was even amazing, we went to the Smokehouse by Sheikra, everything was delicious and the whole area smelt amazing, even on Sheikra you got a blast of the smokers after the MCBR.

I rode everything more than twice except for Kumba and Cobra's Curse because of the line length, and no time to go back to the back for Kumba.

I need to get back here again

Montu - 2

Sheikra - 4

Falcon's Fury - 3

Cheetah Hunt - 2

Kumba - 1

Cobra's Curse - 1

Scorpion - 3

Well after being the literal first person to enter the park today, it has no official become my favorite park EVER. The atmosphere, the music, the animals, the theming, everything is so top notch, it puts SFGAdv to shame.

Montu is CRAZY in the back, I f-ing LOVE it!!

Kumba back right is the magic seat like everyone said, amazing

Sheikra broke my dive coaster virginity and it was awesome, best airtime on the two drops.

Falcon's Fury is my favorite drop tower ever, made me extremely nervous the first time, but after reriding 3 more times, I became addicted.

All in all, I got to do everything I wanted, walk through the aviaries, and other walk through animal exhibits.

Just wow, the food was even amazing, we went to the Smokehouse by Sheikra, everything was delicious and the whole area smelt amazing, even on Sheikra you got a blast of the smokers after the MCBR.

I rode everything more than twice except for Kumba and Cobra's Curse because of the line length, and no time to go back to the back for Kumba.

I need to get back here again

Montu - 2

Sheikra - 4

Falcon's Fury - 3

Cheetah Hunt - 2

Kumba - 1

Cobra's Curse - 1

Scorpion - 3

Awesome! I'm glad you had a great time! Busch Gardens Tampa is ranked #1 as my #BestThemeParkVistEver! That was way back in 2008! I love this park and hopefully I'll be able to get here again in the near future.

Glad you had a great time. I have no idea why I didn't enjoy the hell out of this park.

I don't either. This park seems like it's tailor made for you. Great beer selection that you can take everywhere in the park, good clientele, cool animal presentations and shows and awesome coasters with (in many cases) minimal waits. What's not to love?

I was at Busch Gardens Tampa last Saturday and Sunday. I've been to the park probably 5 other times in the last 15 years, but this visit was exceptional!

It was my first time at Howl-O-Scream on Saturday night and I was thoroughly impressed! The haunted houses were all very good with the highlight being Death Water Bayou and the lamest one was Zombie Containment Unit 15 (which could've been great but the execution was just not impressive). The scare zones in the park were surprisingly great too! Rides at night were awesome of course.

I spent big money on the Front of Line pass for coasters and haunts. It saved a lot of time in line for haunts at first, but the rides had no lines and the haunts emptied out as the night went on. The park was surprisingly dead! No one at Kumba at all at times. It was better than an ERT session (other than the two ride max rule).

Sunday was very nice with the animals and getting to ride everything again. Again, brief lines.

I've been on most of the rides before, and of course the B&M line up is second to none. As for new rides since my last visit...

Falcon's Fury: During my last visit, this was supposed to be open but it was delayed for a few months. I was so excited to ride it this time, and while the drop itself was disappointing in comparison to Acrophobia at SFOG (which is probably my favorite drop tower) in terms of force, but the height was impressive and the tilting to face down at the top was surprisingly extra terrifying. It actually made me a bit "scared" and is definitely around the top of my drop tower list with Acrophobia and Larson towers.

Cobra's Curse: For a family coaster, it was great. Decently forceful. I enjoyed the forwards, followed by backwards, followed by free spinning. The elevator lift was very cool as well. I love unique rides like this! Only downside was the spinning was minimal.

Anyways, Busch Gardens Tampa impressed as always!

• 3 weeks later...
How are the long are the lines for the coasters typically in late November / Ealry December?

Trying to plan my first trip to the park and hit all the coasters in 1 full day along with Falcon's Fury

Very manageable for the most part. You'll have no problem at all. By the way, keep an eye on the maintenance schedule when planning your trip. As far as coasters go you should be in good shape, but if you like water rides they'll both be closing at the same time this year from November 23 - Dec 23 which is a bit odd.

How are the long are the lines for the coasters typically in late November / Ealry December?

Trying to plan my first trip to the park and hit all the coasters in 1 full day along with Falcon's Fury

Very manageable for the most part. You'll have no problem at all. By the way, keep an eye on the maintenance schedule when planning your trip. As far as coasters go you should be in good shape, but if you like water rides they'll both be closing at the same time this year from November 23 - Dec 23 which is a bit odd.

Thanks for the help, Bill!

And I guess it's a good thing that I'm not into water rides!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere just now that new track was spotted by Gwazi, they claim to see rails similar looking to RMC, anyone goin to the park soon that could take a peak? I'll believe it when I see it but wow this would be amazing ! I know there are no projects for RMC in 2017 but a project like this would likely be for 2018. Looks like something is developing in Tampa.

I read somewhere just now that new track was spotted by Gwazi, they claim to see rails similar looking to RMC, anyone going to the park soon that could take a peak? I'll believe it when I see it but wow this would be amazing ! I know there are no projects for RMC in 2017 but a project like this would likely be for 2018. Looks like something is developing in Tampa.

So, what you're saying is God has answered my prayers. Correct? Okay, just checking.

I read somewhere just now that new track was spotted by Gwazi, they claim to see rails similar looking to RMC, anyone goin to the park soon that could take a peak? I'll believe it when I see it but wow this would be amazing ! I know there are no projects for RMC in 2017 but a project like this would likely be for 2018. Looks like something is developing in Tampa.

I can take a look next month. If there's any credibility to this now, then by then, we could see even more. And I'll be sure to take picture so that we aren't just "reading" about more "sightings".

By then we will know wether or not this rumor is true, but who the hell doesn't like pictures??