Photo TR: Quick getaway to Dubai!

UPDATE PG 2! Malls, IMG WoA, Ferrari World, and culture!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Photo TR: Quick getaway to Dubai!

Postby Jakizle » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:41 pm

Hello everyone,

A co-worker of mine asked if I wanted to go to Dubai for labor day weekend, and being the crazy guy I am, I said "why not?" I have somehow adopted the ability to sleep anywhere and not on a normal schedule. We would have 2 full days in the area and while the goal was to see the "big" stuff in Dubai one day and Abu Dhabi the other, I of course tried to squeeze in as much Theme Parks visits as possible. I was able to stop at Sega Republic in the Dubai Mall, and we planned on Ferrari World as she was at least interested in the world's fastest coaster.

Little did I know until 2 days before we left and after we planned our trip that IMG Worlds of Adventure had just opened. With everything currently in the park being open and positive reviews from opening, I knew I had to visit. So while I skipped on the rest of my group visiting the Palm/Burj Al Arab area, I got to visit this brand new park and I am very happy I got to check out the well done theming, coasters, and dark rides.

Dubai/Abu Dhabi and everywhere we visited was wonderful. I really suggest everyone to visit here, especially with the great deals Emirates does from the USA. You can get as low as like $650 round trip.

Part 1 below will cover our day in Dubai, and sometime soon I will post Part 2 covering Abu Dhabi! Read along the captions to see how our experience went =)
IMG_2449.JPG
Dubai is freaking far. We at least tried to make the flight better by hoping over to SFO and catching the Emirates A380 non stop to DXB!
IMG_2463.JPG
And here is my view for the next 15 hours! At least these screens are big for economy...
IMG_2476.JPG
I'm used to flying long distances, but this middle seat for 15 hours was the most brutal I have done so far. But yay for mood lighting and trying to sleep :)
IMG_2479.JPG
Finally we have touched down in Dubai. Left SFO at 5pm Friday and it is now 7pm on Saturday.
IMG_2480.JPG
After clearing immigration (breeze) and picking up a pocket wifi device (breeze) we took the metro into Dubai. The Metro is extremely clean and frequent. I think it's the same exact deal from Hong Kong.
IMG_2493.JPG
After getting some much needed sleep, we got back on the metro from our hotel and headed to the Burj Khalifa to go up the world's tallest building.
IMG_2496.JPG
The funny thing is, from the metro to the mall (you enter the Burj Khalifa from the Dubai Mall) you are in a covered walkway so you never really see the building. It was quite amazing to look up in the roof of the lobby and see this sight! Holy crap that is tall.
IMG_2499.JPG
The observation deck is one level indoors and one level outdoors, allowing you to peek over the edge at Dubai! Here are the fountains from above.
IMG_2501.JPG
And there is the Dubai Mall! Not sure if it holds any records anymore, but it's freaking huge. And incredible. You could spend days in there.
IMG_2503.JPG
This is the view looking North. This area is considered "Downtown Dubai". To the north of the taller buildings is "old" Dubai and the airport.
IMG_2505.JPG
Garbles "At the Top"
IMG_2513.JPG
Looking West towards the water, and some of the man made islands that have not been finished.
IMG_2514.JPG
And to the South are some more buildings, and way out there you may be able to make out the Palm and Burj al Arab
IMG_2526.JPG
On ground level, the area around Burj Khalifa is pretty impressive. Love the man made water areas here.
IMG_2534.JPG
And yeah, this building is incredible. But it's like 111 degrees outside so lets go back inside ;)
IMG_2535.JPG
Inside the famous Dubai Mall! Or at least this waterfall is famous? Popular photo spot :)
IMG_2538.JPG
In order to find Sega Republic, look for the giant indoor ice skating rink first, then head upstairs! This place is like 5 levels :O
IMG_2539.JPG
Passed by Kidzania...an extremely cool kids experience. Robb and Elissa posted an amazing PRT from one of these locations (Tokyo?) where KidTums had a blast.
IMG_2540.JPG
And here we are at Sega Republic. Unlike Tokyo, this location doesn't require you to pay an entry fee. You can just buy an unlimited pass or pay per ride.
IMG_2541.JPG
Heading upstairs to the coaster, and passing the crazy slide. Next time ;)
IMG_2542.JPG
And at the top of the escalator you get this view of Spin Gear!
IMG_2543.JPG
I think it was like 8 bucks to ride once, not terrible. It's actually a really fun spinner! Standard first half, then crazy custom fast (albeit short) inside section!
IMG_2544.JPG
Of course, at 10am on a Sunday I was the only one riding. The staff was very nice and we had a quick chat (they could probably tell I was a ride nerd here just for this)
IMG_2546.JPG
Walking around the mall some, we saw some of the other crazy attractions like the ginormous Dubai Aquarium. Will definitely go inside next time.
IMG_2554.JPG
My co-worker had some friends from college hanging out at the Mall of the Emirates, so we took the Metro down a few stops to meet them and take a peak at Ski Dubai!
IMG_2557.JPG
The giant indoor ski slope also has a cool "park" with lots of smaller attractions for kids like slides, tubing, and zorbs. It seemed like you could pay for just the park, just the ski slope, or both. You could even ride the ski lift. We didn't set aside time to do it, and I don't know to ski, but the prices are very reasonable!
IMG_2560.JPG
Had to get a selfie in front of the indoor ski slope! Another maybe item for next time :)
IMG_2561.JPG
This is the part of the day where I broke off from the group. They went to sight see in the Dubai Marina/Palm/Burj Al Arab area and I decided to take a taxi to IMG Words of Adventure! The park is a little bit out of the city but taxis are so cheap. Make sure you set up one to get back thought because not a lot of driver's came out here at night.
IMG_2561.JPG
Duplicate photo of the one coaster that is outside the building!
IMG_2563.JPG
The front entrance. Get me inside! It's so hot. Luckily a short walk from the drop-off area
IMG_2564.JPG
First impressions are WOW! The building is huge, with a great unique atmosphere and nice theming. You go left for Cartoon Network, right for Marvel, and down the center for Lost Valley.
IMG_2565.JPG
Lost Valley has 2 of the park's 3 roller coasters, so naturally I headed in that direction first.
IMG_2567.JPG
The park is dark, which I like, and the rides look awesome. Plus they have a good selection, like this dino carousel for the family.
IMG_2568.JPG
What we really don't have in America...giant playgrounds and slide complexes! Great for kids (and I think this one was kids only).
IMG_2569.JPG
The first stop for me was in the very back of the park, and was the already spotted "outdoor" coaster, the Mack Blue Fire clone!
IMG_2570.JPG
OMG, I could never imagine standing in this giant queue (and believe me, it keeps going, and going, and going)
IMG_2571.JPG
Finally in the station for a 2 train wait and got a front row ride. This was my first time being blasted into the desert heat and it was quite a weird experience. The ride ran fast, but did have a slight rattle. And of course the paint is already faded lol
IMG_2572.JPG
The next coaster is Predator, a Gerstlauer Eurofighter.
IMG_2573.JPG
The crew does a nice job moving the cars quickly, as this was the most popular coaster in the park. It has a good location and is the one coaster you can actually see in the park. And good news, the OTSRs are fat friendly :)
IMG_2576.JPG
Here is most of the layout for the Predator. I noticed this was MUCH smoother than previous attempts at this coaster, so good job Gerstlauer and IMG!
IMG_2578.JPG
Over into the Marvel area, the coaster does grab your attention first.
IMG_2582.JPG
Spiderman was another clone, this time of Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's. But with 95% of it indoors, it felt faster and crazier to me! Plus solo rides are kinda freaky ;) loved the station and queue of this ride though, great city theming.
IMG_2583.JPG
Next up is one of the parks premier dark rides, Avengers!
IMG_2584.JPG
Thank goodness for another empty queue (they have huge, detailed queues here!)
IMG_2585.JPG
This is the ride system for Avengers. It's like the Spiderman/Transformers ride, but the vehicle is oriented sideways. This had good motion and videos, but the sets between screens were a bit lack luster. Still a solid ride especially outside Disney/Universal. Definitely better than SF
IMG_2587.JPG
Thor also has his own ride - another top spin inside a box! This was taken from a viewing area in the midway, really cool vibe here.
IMG_2592.JPG
Next up is the surprise hit, Hulk!
IMG_2593.JPG
Sorry for the crappy photo, but you walk in and sit in a circle and think "oh no, it's just another Turtle Trek or Poseidon 360 movie". But wow, the motion base or whatever for Hulk is fantastic and so are the visuals, making for a completely new unique ride and it was long! I loved it and did it twice as we did have one malfunction the first time ;)
IMG_2594.JPG
Passed by the Haunted Hotel, but it wasn't show time right now (more on that later).
IMG_2595.JPG
I also checked on Forbidden Territory, a large dark ride in Lost Valley that was down earlier, and it was still broken :(
IMG_2596.JPG
Over on the other side, I checked out the Cartoon Network area even if it wasn't for me.
IMG_2597.JPG
Ben 10 was one of the more popular attractions - maybe because it's more of a show than a ride? There were mostly families at the park.
IMG_2599.JPG
I absolutely love the theming of the air race and these rides!!! Good fun. Can you guess which Power Puff Girl I chose?
IMG_2600.JPG
I was getting pretty hungry, and since some guy named Jake made burritos, it seemed like the perfect spot.
IMG_2603.JPG
This place was awesome, it was like a Moe's or Chipotle where you pick all your ingredients and they make your food down the line. Yum!
IMG_2604.JPG
After a refill, I did check out the park's shooting dark ride, themed to Gumball! I remember watching this with KT once. Waffle!?!
IMG_2605.JPG
Sorry for the dark photo, but tried to get one of the ride vehicle. The ride was a fun mix of physical and digital targets as inanimate objects come to life thanks to Gumball!
IMG_2606.JPG
The park's other giant kids' playground type attraction was over in this area, and themed to Lazy Town. It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake!
IMG_2607.JPG
Yet another ride (seriously impressive line up for a grand opening indoor park) was a nice leisurely sky ride around the Cartoon Network area.
IMG_2608.JPG
Back over in Lost Valley, Forbidden Territory opened up. Welcome to a poor man's Dinosaur straight from Animal Kingdom! I enjoyed looking at all the physical sets, just wish the vehicle moved more and didn't feel the few video screen sections. But the scale of this attraction was definitely impressive.
IMG_2609.JPG
And back at the front of the park, I decided to wait for the next "showtime" of the Haunted Hotel.
IMG_2610.JPG
The way it works is the haunted walk-thru opens for various time blocks throughout the day. However, since it is low capacity, the line closes really fast. At the start of each time block, the queue would fill up to like an hour right away and they would close the line. So I suggest you get there 15 minutes before the show time you want to do and be first in line outside the queue :)
IMG_2611.JPG
As it was now dark outside, before leaving I decided to go for one more ride on Velociraptor!
IMG_2612.JPG
Love the lights on the train. Had a great back row ride - seemed more intense than Blue Fire despite the rattle.
IMG_2614.JPG
Big thumb of approval for IMG! Can't wait to see what they add here in the future.
IMG_2615.JPG
The building certainly looks cool at night. So unique out here in the middle of nowhere! But as I said, arrange a taxi back to Dubai if you don't have your own car. The taxi line was big and there was only like 2 taxis there. Luckily I met two ex-pats in line for the Haunted Hotel that had a private car and were going back to the Dubai Mall so they let me join them.
IMG_2617.JPG
As we sped off into the desert Velociraptor was giving a few more rides before closing time. Love those lights!
IMG_2621.JPG
I arranged with my friends to meet back at the Dubai Mall. They were running a little late, and I happened to stumble upon a Shake Shack so why not? The peanut butter shake hit the spot :)
IMG_2622.JPG
Here is a look at a shopping area of the mall, with many levels to explore.
IMG_2641.JPG
At night, the big attraction is the fountain shows! They go off every 15 minutes, and each time was a littler different with displays and music.
IMG_2643.JPG
I also grew tall enough to reach the top of the tallest building in the world ;)
IMG_2646.JPG
The fountains though - a must see. Great movement together across the lake, plus big explosions and cool music. Great vibe around the lake and all the people. And each show is like 4 minutes so you can get back in the air conditioning quickly ;)
IMG_2651.JPG
Thew view of Burj Khalifa at night was just awe inspiring. Beautiful structure...amazing "glittering" lights at night. Just left me speechless for a while. Definitely a great ending to the day. Thank you for reading and tomorrow we are off to Abu Dhabi!!!
Last edited by Jakizle on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:17 pm.

I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Photo TR: Quick getaway to Dubai!

Postby azza29 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:25 am

Great TR, thanks for showing off more of IMG. The park looks a lot better than I had expected!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:23 am

This is great! Every time I see a Dubai report, I'm impressed. Seems like you can't help but have a good time there.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:54 am

waffle waffle

And yes, we love Dubai and can't wait to go back again. So many fun things to do both park and non-park wise!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby deguy123 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:05 am

Great Photos Jake!

Heading to Dubai in March for my 40th and can't wait to visit! Although I love coasters, I'm definitely doing more site seeing then riding coaster.

I'm picking Ferrari world as my park to visit with Motiongate being a maybe. I'll also get to the Dubai Mall and check out Spin Gear.

Can't wait to see more of your pictures!

North East Trip 2011

LeviaTHON 2012

Scandi 2014

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:14 am

Woah, I don't think I had ever seen construction for that park. Great find and coverage of a new park! They did a great job with providing quality rides and themeing. I hope this place draws in the crowds and is able to grow.

The Cartoon Network area looks amazing. Can't wait to share this report with my CN team!
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:12 am

Awesome report! Thanks for sharing.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Awesome report! I saw some of your pics on facebook along the way, but cool to see them in "trip report style". Loved the pictures from IMG Worlds of Adventure, it's always fun to see pictures from parks I know very little about. Looking forward to the next part. :)

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:32 pm

Good report so far Jake. Lots of new stuff has been added to the area since I was last there.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Intaman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:51 pm

Nice job Jake, I am enjoying this report. I hope to get out to UAE over the next couple years.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!