Six Flags New England- Wicked Cyclone (2) and Superman the Ride (8) = 10

Cedar Point- Millennium Force (4) and Maverick (7) = 11

Six Flags Great Adventure- El Toro (1) and Nitro (10) = 11

Six Flags Magic Mountain- X2 (5) and Tatsu (13) = 18

Hersheypark- Skyrush (3) and Storm Runner (21) = 24

Busch Gardens Williamsburg- Apollo's Chariot (9) and Griffon (17) = 26

Knott's Berry Farm- GhostRider (6) and Xcelerator (20) = 26

Great America- Gold Striker (7) and Flight Deck (22) = 29

Please note, the wood and steel rankings are split up.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

King's Dominion desperately needs another rank-able coaster... They have I305 and a nothing else that's truly "great"

Even if the ranking isn't that high, Volcano is a fitting follow-up to I305, so considering actually riding both coasters in a series, it's a great "One-Two Punch" indeed. If I was going totally by rankings (if I had any), Dominator would appear instead of Volcano, but I almost never actually ride them in series, in either order.

I disagree, I think Volcano is kinda fun in the front, but only for the first 7 seconds of the ride. Once you exit the volcano, the ride is pretty lame... Not a huge fan of Dominator either. These coasters aren't bad - They're far from great and do not even come close to being comparable to I305, IMO.

Maverick + MF

Storm Runner + Skyrush

Kumba + Montu

Fury + Afterburn

Honorable Mentions:

Lightning Run + Storm Chaser

Diamondback + night rides on Beast

Phantom's Revenge + Thunderbolt (nostalgic pick here)

• 2 months later...

My first pick:

Liseberg - Helix + Balder

Some other great ones:

Cedar Point - Maverick + Millennium Force

SFGAdv - El Toro + Nitro

Silver Dollar City - Outlaw Run + Powder Keg

Hersheypark - Skyrush + Storm Runner

Six Flags New England - Wicked Cyclone + Superman the Ride

Kings Dominion - Intimidator 305 + Volcano

Busch Gardens Tampa - Montu + Kumba

Dollywood, Hansa Park may make this list after my next trip. Europa and Phantasialand probably make this list after my first trip(next summer).

King's Dominion desperately needs another rank-able coaster... They have I305 and a nothing else that's truly "great"

Even if the ranking isn't that high, Volcano is a fitting follow-up to I305, so considering actually riding both coasters in a series, it's a great "One-Two Punch" indeed. If I was going totally by rankings (if I had any), Dominator would appear instead of Volcano, but I almost never actually ride them in series, in either order.

I think Volcano, Flight of Fear and Dominator are all excellent coasters. I don't understand the people that complain about KD's lineup.

^ Preach!

I305 is mindblowing but Volcano and Dominator are totally solid, awesome rides. Dominator was the biggest surprise of my visit this weekend. That thing rips - Bizarro has finally been dethroned as my favorite floorless. I didn't get to ride Flight of Fear (stupid Haunt!) but having ridden Jokers Jinx I'm sure its totally great. Next year...

But yeah I'll add

I305 + Volcano

and

Alpengeist + Griffon (+ Apollo's Chariot)

to my list of 1-2 punches

I think Volcano, Flight of Fear and Dominator are all excellent coasters. I don't understand the people that complain about KD's lineup.

None of those are "excellent" and none of them deserve to be compared against combos like Storm Chaser+Lightning Run, Maverick+MForce, Superman+WC, Balder+Helix, Skyrush+Storm Runner, etc. I'm not even complaining about their coaster lineup (They have a ton of decent rides, and those three you listed are good), they just do not have a real "one-two punch" like other entries in this thread.

For me it would have to be sfga. With a combination of El Toro and kinda ka. And add nitro into the mix, and you have a good lineup.

A close second would be Cedar point and sfmm.

Millennium force and top thrill for cp, and x2 plus colossus and Goliath for sfmm.

None of those are "excellent" and none of them deserve to be compared against combos like Storm Chaser+Lightning Run, Maverick+MForce, Superman+WC, Balder+Helix, Skyrush+Storm Runner, etc.

We just have different opinions of the word "excellent", you make it more of an exclusive term than me but I think we're sort of on the same page. Aside from Skyrush and Storm Runner everything you just named is an elite coaster in my opinion. I think that if a park has one of the greatest coasters ever built in I305 and surrounds it with coasters that are a slight step down but still amazing like the best floorless coaster in America, a super unique and awesome double launching Intamin invert that launches out of a damn volcano and (at least in my opinion with apologies to Mummy) the best indoor coaster in America that's pretty sick. Especially when right below that they have another tier of super fun coasters like Backlot, Avalanche and Grizzly.

So in regards to this thread you could argue that they don't have a great 1-2 punch (though if you think Dominator, Volcano or Flight of Fear qualify then I won't argue with you because everyone has different tastes and they're all amazing), but regarding their coaster lineup I think it's awesome. I don't feel like they really "need" anything.

PS: I f**king love Backlot Stunt Coaster.

None of those are "excellent" and none of them deserve to be compared against combos like Storm Chaser+Lightning Run, Maverick+MForce, Superman+WC, Balder+Helix, Skyrush+Storm Runner, etc.

We just have different opinions of the word "excellent", you make it more of an exclusive term than me but I think we're sort of on the same page. Aside from Skyrush and Storm Runner everything you just named is an elite coaster in my opinion. I think that if a park has one of the greatest coasters ever built in I305 and surrounds it with coasters that are a slight step down but still amazing like the best floorless coaster in America, a super unique and awesome double launching Intamin invert that launches out of a damn volcano and (at least in my opinion with apologies to Mummy) the best indoor coaster in America that's pretty sick. Especially when right below that they have another tier of super fun coasters like Backlot, Avalanche and Grizzly.

So in regards to this thread you could argue that they don't have a great 1-2 punch (though if you think Dominator, Volcano or Flight of Fear qualify then I won't argue with you because everyone has different tastes and they're all amazing), but regarding their coaster lineup I think it's awesome. I don't feel like they really "need" anything.

PS: I f**king love Backlot Stunt Coaster.

Ok, cool! I mean there's a definite sense of subjectivity when deciding "best" of anything, but my only point was that I don't think KD can qualify for this thread with the current selection of coasters. I think Dominator is the 5th best floorless in the US (where's the zero-g?), far below Kraken . I also think Volcano is great, but for exactly 16 seconds - The rest is pretty dull. Regarding FoF - my height makes it hard for me to fully enjoy Premier trains and the MCBR kills all pacing from that point onward.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg!

Griffon + Alpengeist + Apollo's Chariot + Tempesto + Verbolten + Loch Ness Monster =

Runner Up:

Cedar Point!!

Because you know. . . Maverick and Mean Streak. . . Oh, wait. . . That's right. #TooSoon?