TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

I think I'm starting to see it now.

I'm about 90% sure there's a Lightning Rod-style wave turn on the other side of that ravine. The shaping is spot-on.

Untitled.png.2a93bb02b863967c7df41f6cc3a0645f.png

Where there's a little s-bend before the brake run, I'm imagining the track dodging between the drop pullout and a steel arch lift hill support structure, like the the lift on Goliath at SFGAm. That type of lift hill would make sense on this terrain.

Edited by nannerdw

So freaking awesome to finally see this in the works. The "Racer ravine coaster" has been a Kennywood rumor/dream for what feels like forever. Much like the park expansion to the other side of Kennywood Boulevard, it had begun to feel more like an urban legend that would never actually happen.

^^I like it, it's backwards from what I was thinking but it makes pretty good sense and would be totally different than what's out there. The only thing I question is the wide radius of the turn between the "molten steel shed" and the "2nd lift" - it looks like it's wide enough for a medium-speed section, not a slow speed turn before a lift?

^^I like it, it's backwards from what I was thinking but it makes pretty good sense and would be totally different than what's out there. The only thing I question is the wide radius of the turn between the "molten steel shed" and the "2nd lift" - it looks like it's wide enough for a medium-speed section, not a slow speed turn before a lift?

Yeah, that's the main thing that's a little off. I was thinking the barrel roll over the poured steel could be pretty high off the ground, up near the ceiling of that building, and then drop down a bit before going into the lift. Google Earth says the upper part of that building is about 14 ft wide, and the top of the roof is 40 ft high.

I really hope to hell that is an RMC coaster. If so then I see myself frequenting Kennywood much more often starting in 2018. That would be the closest one to me and I would gladly do the 4 hour drive to it!

If RMC, Would it be Wooden or Iron Horse/I-Box?

And I hope that 2017 is the New Old Mill without Garfield.

I think I'm starting to see it now.

I'm about 90% sure there's a Lightning Rod-style wave turn on the other side of that ravine. The shaping is spot-on.

[attachment=0]Untitled.png[/attachment]

I was thinking your break run would be a lift hill. Basically have the trains go into the hill just like Thunderbolt with a tight Phantom style drop into the building. Or maybe they plan to demolish that building? Either way, I'm excited my original home park is getting some new. I haven't been able to get back there for a few years, I miss my favorite Kennywood classics!

This makes me wonder what they have planned for that ride entrance. If you look at that topology map it shows the new building being built back in the corner behind the Log Jammer. Currently that is all wooded area with some pavilions and materials storage. It's also where the train turnaround takes place.

It's been the rumored location for a new coaster. Will be great to see it become reality. Great way to add a feature attraction to the park that doesn't have much free space.

Its also worth noting that 2018 is the 50th anniversary for the Thunderbolt as well as the parks 120th . Could be a great way to celebrate.

This makes me wonder what they have planned for that ride entrance. If you look at that topology map it shows the new building being built back in the corner behind the Log Jammer. Currently that is all wooded area with some pavilions and materials storage. It's also where the train turnaround takes place.

It's been the rumored location for a new coaster. Will be great to see it become reality. Great way to add a feature attraction to the park that doesn't have much free space.

Its also worth noting that 2018 is the 50th anniversary for the Thunderbolt as well as the parks 120th . Could be a great way to celebrate.

I was wondering the same thing. The station is located awfully far from any area of the park that sees a lot of traffic. Guess there's just going to be a really long queue and exit like the Phantom has.

In regards to that 'mouse turn' it looks like there's some sort of building covering the straight section just ahead of it, so it could be possibly some sort of dark ride section towards the end of the ride taken at slow speed.

Drop track.

I was wondering the same thing. The station is located awfully far from any area of the park that sees a lot of traffic. Guess there's just going to be a really long queue and exit like the Phantom has.

Could also set up the other rumor of a coaster along the back of the park where the train is today.

The more I think about this, the more I see the potential for something truly special. Especially considering the uniqueness of the location.

1. Ravine presents an opportunity to maximize the use of terrain. Kennywoods existing coasters are great examples. A woodie or hybrid can incorporate inspiration from other coasters such as Ravine Flyer II or Boulder Dash.

2. The proposed area is mostly untouched aside from the existing structures. I expect this coaster could be really fun at night due to the fact that minimal lighting is available. Those who have ridden Phantom at night know what the 2nd drop into pitch black is like.

3. If it is an RMC their engineering could truly set this one apart. The loop on Goliath for example or the ejector elements on Wicked Cyclone. They could even do something inside that building from the old railroad.

4. This could potentially have the tallest drop on a wooden coaster depending on how they use the ravine. If Harry Henninger was involved, I would almost count on it. He had amazing vision for projects like this.

The new coaster buzz put me in the mood to check out Phantom Fright Nights for a couple of hours on Saturday. When I got to the park, there was more fog than I’ve ever seen in my life. It wasn’t until I left the park that I realized it was naturally a very foggy night, and when combined with the in-park fog, the environment put Silent Hill to shame.

Jack Rabbit – 10 min – Good fun as always and very smooth. The double-dip didn’t disappoint! Awesome ejector air, and a couple of nice dives into the dark October night. 8.5/10

Phantom’s Revenge – 90 min (back), 30 min (front) – My first ride in the back was pretty good, but the wait for it was initially one-train misery. Thankfully, the crew finally put the second train in service later on in the night to soak up the line.

In the back, Phantom delivered solid airtime all over the place, rivaled only in the state by SkyRush. It was running very well, balancing smoothness and aggression superbly.

In the front, holy smokes. It was the foggiest coaster ride I’ve ever experienced. I couldn't see anything. The air was crisp, the night was cool, and the Phantom shredded. It felt illegal. The speed and airtime were out of this world. It’s one of the most surreal and memorable rides I’ve ever taken on anything. How good was it? Well, better than my rides on Fury – by far. 10/10

SkyRocket – ERT! – It didn’t open with the park, and then it went down again while I was waiting in the station. When the announcement came on that maintenance was on its way, almost everyone waiting in the station cleared out. I was the smart doofus who decided to wait, and luckily for me it opened back up, sans line, only about 10 minutes later. I ended up not only getting a bunch of rides on it in a row, but an entire train to myself!

Like usual, I giggled throughout the layout. The first couple of elements are big-league thrills, and then it’s more of a family ride in the second half. Still, the first spike has awesome air in both the front and back, and the elements are glass-smooth. 8.5/10

I walked all of the scare zones, but didn’t do any of the indoor haunts. The lines for them looked to be about 20 minutes, but I did pass a few and noticed temporary walk-ons or minimal waits. Sometimes I like the haunts depending on the group I’m with, but they’re not must-do for me. In this instance, I just wanted to enjoy the atmosphere and walk around.

Overall, the park looked good! Again, the fog was everywhere. I liked park touches such as the out of tune merry-go-round and a disturbingly charming Laffing Sal makeover. Oh, and the Potato Patch fries are amazing. I know that some people get turned off by the sogginess, but I love them. They’re absolutely not overrated in my book!

It was way too dark and foggy to eyeball anything in the vicinity of the new coaster. I couldn’t even see Racer’s track while standing in front of its sign! Here are some pics around the park:

kw1.thumb.jpg.1922a21241b6a6cbf9c8d146c5a8a2f0.jpg

Fun fact: I used to hate Laffin Sal as a kid. Fun fact: I now think she's fantastic, albeit still a little scary.

kw10.thumb.jpg.cfb70c21d94909fdc97a46494891e83d.jpg

A short scare zone, but probably my favorite! I was followed by a couple of actors, and I enjoyed the props. Looked like an area someone would make in Planet Coaster!

kw11.thumb.jpg.d37d94daf957a64ac6c2f0ca00d9256f.jpg

Plus, Death Valley had cameos from old Gold Rusher friends.

kw12.thumb.jpg.290f64ad85c260beb211713b97e7c89e.jpg

Ghostwood Estates, the year-round shooter, decked out in green lights.

kw13.thumb.jpg.3b2656540f4568e9e5b6c00251447c49.jpg

Haunted Noah's Ark looked great! Even its signature whistle sounded appropriately off-key.

kw14.thumb.jpg.06af6210cd1e8ccc72861b93e73782e5.jpg

The Thunderbolt area was popular, with multiple haunts, a scare zone, T-Bolt, & the Potato Patch nearby.

kw15.thumb.jpg.0746ae7c64e71c64099f030db1f6e8cb.jpg

The whole park was immersed in this dense atmosphere. Fun!

kw16.thumb.jpg.9d3e3d252b192845de07097643414f5e.jpg

This was BEFORE the real fog rolled in!

kw17.thumb.jpg.b39b0fb254a93e21272cd004ff62554d.jpg

The only lights you'll find on the Phantom this fall

kw18.thumb.jpg.bfa984af890e90f9656e0892fed750ea.jpg

El Phantom fue en fuego!

kw2.thumb.jpg.2f8b06108977974ab200ef3bbf8b07d1.jpg

The stillness of the ride and distorted Wurlitzer playing made for one creepy Merry-go-Round.

kw3.thumb.jpg.ea0adcbfd985b853c2206d7bf5f25682.jpg

Potato Patch & tenders! Delicious!

kw4.thumb.jpg.89e75d8f70d4c0c832bd877dcf9fb024.jpg

Now the fog really picked up as I returned to the Phantom for an unforgettable ride in the front.

kw5.thumb.jpg.3d4f4f8d21bdbf6c0b9fa9c959628c8d.jpg

Silent Hill!

kw6.thumb.jpg.29222f9b69f6b76ad15da5ae7297501f.jpg

Lost Kennywood had the only moon that I'd see, as I bid Fright Nights adieu.

kw7.thumb.jpg.fec6da9a37675d254a15c2a59562e63a.jpg

Seriously, how Phantom-y could this night get!? Just perfect.

kw8.thumb.jpg.03ec89c49468afff184c4b58037caeb2.jpg

That second train was my ERT chariot! Check out that line...

kw9.thumb.jpg.1bdf209160cbd63d1e74a635857299da.jpg

I enjoyed each of the scare zones.