TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

There seems to be some confusion to where this HOWELL CRANE is located on site at Six Flags Over Texas. This is not a crane used for the construction of the I30 and 360 exchange. It's actually for the new S&S Free Fly Ride as i stated earlier. Here's some more pictures I took last weekend.

IMG_1549.thumb.JPG.004f90cc5f1af2b044e0f0edaf9c45a9.JPG

From Six Flags Dr.

IMG_1557.thumb.JPG.f29a2256a83520ad79160d2682cd5529.JPG

From Copeland Rd.

IMG_1558.thumb.JPG.533a8e55e69f17594ccdb9bdaf894070.JPG

From the Oil Derrick

I'm really glad you posted that because when I saw this picture

It looked like there was a Skycoaster piece sitting down in a dirt lot next to the construction site. Now I see that it's not sitting down and it's a roof (and not a dirt lot) and it all makes much more sense.

I'm really glad you posted that because when I saw this picture

It looked like there was a Skycoaster piece sitting down in a dirt lot next to the construction site. Now I see that it's not sitting down and it's a roof (and not a dirt lot) and it all makes much more sense.

Good zoom feature from the tower.

Six Flags actually called me last year to question why I'm spending money at Cedar Fair

How on earth did SF know you were spending money @ CF parks?

You know how they send you a survey almost every time you visit? I specifically compared them to Cedar Fair parks I had visited where they were being beaten so they would know where to improve. Then they took upon themselves to actually call me, I was quite surprised. I was driving home stuck in rush hour traffic one day when they called; so I proceeded to explain in fine detail my opinions on what the competition was doing compared to our park until I got home

^ Good! During my past trips to CP, it was easy to tell that everything from ride operations to staff to food and restaurant quality to park cleanliness was all superior to SF parks. Let's hope they get the message.

Slowly but surely they have. This was last Fall that I had this interaction, I jokingly said get rid of the Jamaican Banana as one of my first complaints if you ever want me to even think of playing a game I'm sorry, but the prizes until recently to play games have sucked...I would play on occasion if Bugs Bunny, Scooby-Doo, and so on were back to being prizes.

The person I talked with did really seem to care and they were very pleasant to talk with. Hopefully in the next 2-3 years we really see some improvement. One of the biggest reasons I'm hoping for a major roller coaster is it does put you more on the map and it does make you try harder as far as employees and making them perform better. I'm driving out to Charlotte next weekend to give Fury 325 some spins, from my understanding the park has improved significantly because the ride brings the hype to the park and it puts it on the map as a destination.

We have a good park of some classics and some new very good rides. If they ever ballsy up and really invest about $30 million into a new coaster and improve the park entrance and things like that in a season, the park will really blossom.

TPR was invited out earlier this week to check out the new Virtual Reality game, 'Rage of the Gargoyles' Game you say? Yes, I said game. Why did I say game you ask? Well simple, because it's now a game!

That's right folks, no more riding around wishing you could fire at stuff, now you can! You still have your flying machine, that hasn't changed. You start out going up the lift and see the doors open up with Gargoyles flying around. You move your head around to line up the sights and then fire away at the Gargoyles. Then once of the lift you put away your gun and out come the missiles.

Now at this point it's all hands free. Hands free?!?! Yup, just look and concentrate on the Gargoyle, once you have a lock the missiles fire away and make lunch meat out of them. You'll have plenty of opportunities throughout the ride to find and destroy the Gargoyles. The more you obliterate the more points you earn.

The train hits the brakes but the game isn't over yet. Now you switch back to your guns and fire away at the Gargoyles on the screen. If you've been successful at blowing up the Gargoyles you win! If your shooting skills totally suck ass well you get a different ending. That's right folks, there are two endings! So by this time you're about back to the station when your score will appear on the headset. I'm not sure if it was luck or the fact the Sam (corporate design guy responsible for this concept and much of what you see in the parks) was too busy riding hands up, but I whipped up on him by about 9k points. Bragging rights.

OK, I'm sure you are asking, so I'm going to tell. I was able to talk with Sam at length about the VR concept and how it's evolved within Six Flags. The video quality of this iteration is smoother, sharper, cleaner, and much higher resolution. This was all made possible by some changes within the technology and how the videos are delivered to the phones. There were also some changes made to the positioning system which further aided in the smoothness. All of these changes allowed them to introduce a true virtual reality gaming experience on a quality level that gamers will respect.

Rage of the Gargoyles is now playing through the end of Fright Fest. This will be your last opportunity this season to experience the VR Coaster technology so get off your butts, put on a happy face and get out and take it for a few spins. With multiple endings and so much going on you'll definitely want to grab several rides.

Thanks to Sharon for having us out, Zac for tirelessly working to keep the lines moving, as well as Mat and Sam for putting up with me!

IMG_3468.thumb.JPG.661d5ba5a148990f70a611273fefe7d7.JPG

Here we go. The big boy ride sign was being worked on so this is what you get.

IMG_3469.thumb.JPG.48cc5ad65fd12d176524f0bfb16d4c41.JPG

Fun fact, Six Flags has patented the new goggle strap system. It works much like a hard hat with a knob in the back to tighten. They go on a lot quicker and are much more durable. All of this helps to increase dispatch times dramatically. They've installed signage throughout the queue explaining how to use them. Much less complicated than the original method.

IMG_3467.thumb.JPG.e332c7477f900dad72e77b34724a0a33.JPG

The monsters snuck in for a ride with us!

1.thumb.png.5ef1fa5a237539ea634711931099ac6d.png

After you pop out from the underground the Gargoyles appear and you start firing at them until they explode

2a.thumb.png.b95fb62341e6c143723ea187a5a12d32.png

Keep firing as you are racking up points, you don't see it on screen, but you are in the background

2ab.thumb.jpg.0abfb6666c8eee264601150c46e62527.jpg

How about a nice little french kiss? Might be the most action many of you have seen in a while....

2ac.thumb.jpg.083892501a979b44d7155808896b8613.jpg

Just before the drop you ditch your guns

2ad.thumb.jpg.c4d4cb25bf0d18be147144b7eed93801.jpg

The missiles become hot and now you look in the direction of the big ugly creatures until it locks and auto fires. This allows you to hold on or hold your hands up, which ever you prefer.

3.thumb.png.f9590bfcad4b10ebba70af7211c11523.png

Whew, now we've hit the brakes and switched back to guns for the final battle. Two scenes play out, one if you win (defeat the gargoyles) and one if you lose (the gargoyles have eaten you for lunch)

Your score is then displayed and since your friends will really never see it, you can lie about it and tell them how you caught the big one.

This version has seen a ton of improvement and has a lot of similarities to a gaming console. The graphics are better, video is smoother, and fun level has been raised. Highly recommend everyone ride it a couple of times, I mean you'll have to at least twice to experience the different endings!

Edited by robbalvey

I'm not sure how Riddler's Revenge has performed during the summer but I was a little dissapointed when I rode this past weekend.

For some reason the ride cycle wasn't getting the full swing.

Right as it was getting close to 90 degrees the ride cycle was over.

Pretty tame ride I got and I noticed all cycles doing the same. Has anyone noticed or has it always been this way?

I got the opportunity to try the new VR this past weekend, and it was awesome! I love the gaming aspect of it, because it makes the whole ride a video game. The graphics are so much better. My highest score was 22,840.

How does this compare to an attraction like Toy Story Mania?

Toy Story Mania destroys Six Flags' VR coasters. It's not even close. But you would expect that, because Disney is much better than Six Flags.

I'm not sure how Riddler's Revenge has performed during the summer but I was a little dissapointed when I rode this past weekend.

For some reason the ride cycle wasn't getting the full swing.

Right as it was getting close to 90 degrees the ride cycle was over.

Pretty tame ride I got and I noticed all cycles doing the same. Has anyone noticed or has it always been this way?

Sorry you had a bum ride, it's been down awaiting repairs and just re-opened so I would imagine they are still working on a few things.

So does anybody know what the stadium you can see from the top of NTAG is used for?

it's home to the Texas Rangers baseball team, and the Texas Rangers Baseball Hall of Fame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_Life_Park_in_Arlington

Not that stadium. This one.

That's the concert area in the park. They still have a few concerts a year there I believe.

So does anybody know what the stadium you can see from the top of NTAG is used for?

it's home to the Texas Rangers baseball team, and the Texas Rangers Baseball Hall of Fame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_Life_Park_in_Arlington

Not that stadium. This one.

That's the concert area in the park. They still have a few concerts a year there I believe.

ah. . yeah.

used to also house the Batman stunt show too (many years ago), if I'm not mistaken.

ah. . yeah.

used to also house the Batman stunt show too (many years ago), if I'm not mistaken.

No. From that image of the top of Giant, the Batman Stunt Show theater was located off the image to the right of the Oil Derrick.