Joey's Ongoing Sporting Event Photo TR Thread

Update Pg. 21: Amalie arena
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Joey's Ongoing Sporting Event Photo TR Thread

Postby Jew » Wed May 18, 2016 11:28 am

^Granted this study was from 2011, but it appears it provides a 5% bump: http://www.sbnation.com/2011/1/19/1940438/home-field-advantage-sports-stats-data

I think my biggest gripe (and why I much prefer college) is that all these new modern stadiums are not in any way, shape, or form designed for the common fan to do what you would expect at a sporting event: stand, cheer, high 5, etc. Basically, they've morphed from stadiums to broadway theaters with the focus being on premium seating. I enjoy the amenities, but I do also like not being 5 miles away from the action and among fans also having a good time when I can't afford those amenities.

^^I might have done that on purpose. ;)
Last edited by Jew on Wed May 18, 2016 11:31 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:43 am

^Yeah I'm with ya there, which I why I really like what they've done in Jacksonville. They added great amenities and premium seating locations (and yes freaking swimming pools) but it still feels like a football stadium. The amenities compliment and enhance the experience rather than distracting from it. That may have just been what was most affordable at the time instead of funding an entirely new venue but I'm glad they went the route they did.

Postby Jew » Wed May 18, 2016 11:37 pm

^ Give it a few more years and I am sure the Jags will be asking for a new stadium or threatening to move... :lol:

It is on my bucket list to check out the pools there and at the D-backs stadium.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby RaceBoarder » Mon May 30, 2016 8:05 pm

Cool thread. Don't know how I missed it thus far.

Postby jray21 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:34 am

Jew wrote:^Granted this study was from 2011, but it appears it provides a 5% bump: http://www.sbnation.com/2011/1/19/1940438/home-field-advantage-sports-stats-data

I think my biggest gripe (and why I much prefer college) is that all these new modern stadiums are not in any way, shape, or form designed for the common fan to do what you would expect at a sporting event: stand, cheer, high 5, etc. Basically, they've morphed from stadiums to broadway theaters with the focus being on premium seating. I enjoy the amenities, but I do also like not being 5 miles away from the action and among fans also having a good time when I can't afford those amenities.

^^I might have done that on purpose. ;)

I totally agree!

Postby Jew » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Slight bump...As I said earlier, I did treat myself to the USC/Alabama game at Jerry World. There are no photos of said game because, well, it wasn't much of a game. :cry:

But I did make a return trip to Rangers Ballpark, took the tour of the stadium, and sat inside the batters eye! So here are some more photos of Rangers Ballpark...

Heading up to Seattle in a few weeks for USC/Washington and will possibly do the Safeco field tour as well, so expect more updates soon! Well, if USC wins of course.
IMG_3571.jpg
The press box. Very exciting, I know.
IMG_3572.jpg
The view from the press box. A lot of teams have been moving their press boxes to the corner to sell more premium seats, so this is probably a better view than most new stadiums
IMG_3573.jpg
The field level tunnel.
IMG_3574.jpg
Rangers Clubhouse
IMG_3575.jpg
As you walk from the clubhouse to the dugout, they have signs commemorating all their award winners. Motivation I suppose.
IMG_3578.jpg
The dugout!
IMG_3584.jpg
View from dugout. What was cool about this tour, is they still conducted it with players working out. A lot of teams would restrict the field if this was happening. Elvis Andrus took photos with fans.
IMG_3585.jpg
Everything was already set up for the game/players workout
IMG_3586.jpg
The post game interview area. Connected directly to clubhouse.
IMG_3589.jpg
View from inside the batters eye. The Rangers turned it into a private all you can eat club. Great value for the $90 we paid.
IMG_3596.jpg
Also visited the Rangers Hall of Fame. I guess this guy pitched a long time.
IMG_3598.jpg
History on the stadiums.
IMG_3599.jpg
And construction of said stadium.
IMG_3602.jpg
Well, that's awkward...
IMG_3603.jpg
everything is bigger in Texas.
IMG_3604.jpg
They were aggressively campaigning to get tax payers to pay for a new stadium, when this one is only 22 years old...Murica!
IMG_3607.jpg
Fireworks night while waiting for our Uber.
Last edited by Jew on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:34 pm.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Freefallbestrideever » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:49 am

Ooooh boy it's been years since I visited this thread! I guess they might as well build a new stadium so you can give us a review of it :lmao:
Must be bittersweet to a 49ers fan, you finally get a new stadium...........on the other hand many say it's soulless, it's 40 miles from SF and you give Harbaugh the boot so you go down the toilet... :butt: For some reason the upper deck still looks really high even after having all the suites on the other side, I wonder where the last row of the LA Coliseum would match up with that grandstand.

Can't wait to see the Clink and Safeco?

The home field advantage I hear is really just mostly from the refs/umps having a bias towards the home team.
Coasters: 59
Assume nothing; Question everything

Postby Jew » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:33 am

^Thankfully USC won, but I can say from experience that it was very loud inside Husky Stadium and likely contributed to the 3 or 4 false starts USC committed.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:33 pm

The fact that the Rangers (and Braves) are getting new stadiums is ridiculous. Great photos of that perfectly good, relatively modern ballpark.

Postby Jew » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:20 pm

coasterbill wrote:The fact that the Rangers (and Braves) are getting new stadiums is ridiculous. Great photos of that perfectly good, relatively modern ballpark.

Agreed. I wouldn't be opposed to it if the ownership groups were paying out of their own pocket, but in both these cases the taxpayers are footing the bill. And if you read the news articles---not even close to good deals.

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random