TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

After they replaced some wood under the tracks on JRS for the 2015 season, it ran good and we rode it a lot more than we did before, which was once. This year, we rode it and I swear the train looked like it was hopping along the tracks. It was funny watching the people in front of us bouncing up and down. The headache that followed was not so funny. I was ruined the rest of the evening, even after taking Advil.

One good thing about JRS is that it's a good indicator as to how bad the crowds are, as you pull into the driveway. You can pretty much bet that it's going to be a hellacious, "re-think staying" kind of day, if you see a line.

Personally, I think if it got some love from GCI, and keep the layout as it is, it would be a great ride again. But, you are looking at $$$$ that would've been used for a new ride (like a coaster) going to refurbishing it. And that wouldn't sit well with people. Just like with painting the orange tower. Would you rather have a pretty shiny tower or a new ride? Would you rather have a new coaster or fix JRS?

I could hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth on announcement day....

Why would they give JRS a RMC makeover when the park already has NTAG?

Why would SFOT add another B&M if it already has Batman? There's nothing wrong with another RMC in my opinion

Because RMC rides are a lot more similar to each other than B&M rides.

Getting another RMC would be like the parking adding another B&M invert.

Because RMC rides are a lot more similar to each other than B&M rides.

Yeah, no.

I mean, I guess yes, RMC rides are similar to each other in the way that they all provide crazy, extreme, ejector air. However, the nice mix of some having inversions and some not. Some being IBOX, some not. . . I've never been on an RMC and though "Oh, this is just like all those other RMC's I've been on." However, when riding a B&M 90% of the time it's "Oh this feels just like the other B&M coaster _____________."

If anything I feel like B&M coasters are much more similar to each other than RMC coasters are.

From the enthusiast's perspective, yes B&M coasters can be very similar in terms of forces and ride experience. All B&M hypers are the same, etc. But to the average guest (the people the park actually builds these rides for), RMC's, I-box or wood (T-rex is a different story), can be very similar. Sure, they'll have different layouts and a unique mix of elements that stand out to enthusiasts, but to most people it'd be like having Prowler and Renegade in the same park. Two awesome rides that have no problem being there individually, but there really isn't a huge benefit to having both for the average guest at the same park.

B&M's, on the other hand, all have different trains, a different style and flare to each type (and it doesn't matter if you think "oh they're all cookie cutter, forceless rides, the trains are just a gimmick" because I guarantee most people don't see it that way).

Having two RMC's is like having two mansions in adjacent gated communities in Florida. Having two B&M's is like having one five bedroom colonial in Georgia and another apartment in Manhattan.

People keep forgetting that parks...even places like Cedar Point, don't care about the enthusiasts opinion that much. We are the minority by A LOT and it's always going to be that way. Look at the Six Flags announcements this year, who was pissed off at SFOT getting a clone of Batman? The enthusiasts and people who don't feel like driving to San Antonio. Who loved it? All the locals who don't know other parks exist or don't care enough to go to another park because this is their entertainment or "getting out of the house with kids fun" for the Summer.

If a enthusiast cares enough, then you'll go seek other thrills. I live 15 min from SFOT, but I've flown to Cedar Point 3 separate times this season and I'm going to Charlotte next weekend to get some Fury 325 in my life. Six Flags actually called me last year to question why I'm spending money at Cedar Fair and they politely let me tell them why (rides, ride operations, experience, etc.) I've seen some noticeable improvement in our particular park since then, but I also understand that me taking $1000 of my dollars to Cedar Fair doesn't bother Six Flags and nor would I expect it too. Both chains are making record profits and both are paying off debts at a good rate and both provide a form of entertainment. It just so happens that Cedar Fair parks match up to what I want better than Six Flags currently, that could change someday; but I will not ever expect Six Flags to cater to the enthusiast like a Cedar Point does. At the end of the day, both chains are just trying to make money. Six Flags does it with small improvements to each park and consistent "you'll get something" each year. Cedar Fair does a big splash typically somewhere. 2 different business models, both with the same goals, both care way more about the GP than us; and that's how it should be.

I also understand that me taking $1000 of my dollars to Cedar Fair doesn't bother Six Flags and nor would I expect it too.

Not only did they know he was spending money with Cedar Fair, they didn't care. But they called anyway.

Six Flags actually called me last year to question why I'm spending money at Cedar Fair

How on earth did SF know you were spending money @ CF parks?

Possibly a response to one of the 8 gajillion surveys they send out?

Personally, my attitude is that most of these parks already have gobs of enormous rides. If you got to SFOT, you've got Titan, Giant, Batman, Mr. Freeze, and Shockwave, plus the dark rides, plus the train, plus the flats. Working on adding other stuff is OK.

People keep forgetting that parks...even places like Cedar Point, don't care about the enthusiasts opinion that much. We are the minority by A LOT and it's always going to be that way. Look at the Six Flags announcements this year, who was pissed off at SFOT getting a clone of Batman? The enthusiasts and people who don't feel like driving to San Antonio. Who loved it? All the locals who don't know other parks exist or don't care enough to go to another park because this is their entertainment or "getting out of the house with kids fun" for the Summer.

If a enthusiast cares enough, then you'll go seek other thrills. I live 15 min from SFOT, but I've flown to Cedar Point 3 separate times this season and I'm going to Charlotte next weekend to get some Fury 325 in my life. Six Flags actually called me last year to question why I'm spending money at Cedar Fair and they politely let me tell them why (rides, ride operations, experience, etc.) I've seen some noticeable improvement in our particular park since then, but I also understand that me taking $1000 of my dollars to Cedar Fair doesn't bother Six Flags and nor would I expect it too. Both chains are making record profits and both are paying off debts at a good rate and both provide a form of entertainment. It just so happens that Cedar Fair parks match up to what I want better than Six Flags currently, that could change someday; but I will not ever expect Six Flags to cater to the enthusiast like a Cedar Point does. At the end of the day, both chains are just trying to make money. Six Flags does it with small improvements to each park and consistent "you'll get something" each year. Cedar Fair does a big splash typically somewhere. 2 different business models, both with the same goals, both care way more about the GP than us; and that's how it should be.

Agree. One correction SF debt has increased ..2011 Financials it was 951M...by 2013 it was 1.38B and 2015 report it's 1.5B. Cedar Fair's debt has been steady with small fluctuations. It was 1.556B in 2011, 1.52B in 2013 and 1.556B in 2015 report.