TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

So I've done some serious thinking, Cedar Fair would be beyond smart to invest in a nice Hotel on site. Here's why;

1. they would for sure fully book the hotel especially if they offered fast lanes to guests for free (included in cost of room) like Universal does.

2. With the economy looking very poor and here to stay, Canadians from all around are looking for the new Disney/ Universal experience with out the dollar conversion.

3. The parks distance to Toronto, Mississauga, and Vaughan Mills and with all the corporate offices near by, they could keep the hotel open all season and make money that way. (on the Q3 conference call they talked about investing in hotels and sport complexes on most of their properties to expand their revenue.

4. Green stakes appeared near the highway on Wonderland's property near the black hole forest, we also now know the black hole forest is having bulldozing take place. Wonderland has stated they take their tree count very seriously and try to remove as little as possible. Well there is tons of room to expand the water park without going into that forest. I honestly feel like were seeing early signs to a Hotel Breakers back there for 2019/2020 opening (since they take forever to build).

5. It's the right time to invest american currency into the park with our low economy. They can hire cheap labour, cheap materials and the market is extremely competitive in terms of companies fighting over contracts.

I know some here think were not getting a hotel anytime soon and they will roll their eyes at me, but I just feel the evidence from quarterly results, the investment charts, and the weird land clearing and stakes on the outer perimeter of the park kind of points towards a Hotel Breakers.

This could also explain the delay in announcement due to external factors. Maybe they're waiting for everything to be finalized and marketing aspects to be completed. Remember with the removal of SKyrider, they did say they couldn't say how many years it would take but its a multi-year large investment project...

Not sure if Canada's Wonderland is really the place to get an on-site hotel. Most of the other CF parks with much more established and wellrounded rides don't even have on-site hotels. I think CW is just mostly people from the area and Toronto, its not really bringing in the international visitors.

I don't think bringing in visitors from overseas is a realistic expectation, but bringing in additional revenue for those making the trek down from Ottawa, Kingston, or even Montreal probably is. They're not gonna build a 600 room hotel resort - they'll build something probably akin to a Towneplace Suites but with Canada's Wonderland branding. It seems entirely reasonable to me.

its not really bringing in the international visitors.

Well that's the point of adding a hotel, to bring in visitors from overseas as well as encouraging people to stay on site.

I'm being realistic, no one is coming across seas JUST for Canada's Wonderland. There are literally dozens of better vacation opportunities available like Disneyland, Disneyworld, Universal Studios, etc.

Also, CW is more of a day park, even without a fast pass you can get done all the main rides in a day. Also since most of their customers come from Toronto or the surrounding areas, no one is going to shell out 200+$ per night rather than just taking the go-train or bus home.

Overseas is a stretch, but bringing in Americans from a few hours away isn't so crazy. New York, Boston, Chicago, and Philly are all long but reasonable drives, but certainly not close enough that many people are going to leave home, hit the park, and return home in one day. The rides are all about 8 hours.

Even in Canada, Montreal and Quebec City are 5 and 8 hours away, respectively. That's a bit much for most people to do in one day, but to drive in and stay on site and then leave the next day would be nice.

Plus turning the park into a resort would be more appealing to thrill-seekers... some parks like CP have an ERT system due to the hotels which mean that more thrill seekers get more time which brings in more people who will tell more of their friends and family and it all repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats,

Plus turning the park into a resort would be more appealing to thrill-seekers... some parks like CP have an ERT system due to the hotels which mean that more thrill seekers get more time which brings in more people who will tell more of their friends and family and it all repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats, repeats,

I think at CW we have seasons pass nights, not sure about mornings. Although a couple years ago at least I remembered getting into the waterpark early too.

But due to the fact that we only really have 2-3 rides worth travelling across the globe (Vortex is a real classic and one of the only ones left), I doubt that CW would be really the number 1 destination.

CANADA'S WONDERLAND TO ADD WET & WILD THRILLS WITH TWO NEW ATTRACTIONS IN 2017

VAUGHAN, ON, Aug. 26, 2016 /CNW/ - Canada's Wonderland announced today it will be showcasing two new unique and adrenaline-pumping attractions in 2017. With the addition of towering water slides in Splash Works and a new thrill ride that will be the first of its kind in North America, guests will experience two exhilarating parks and one memorable 2017 season.

Muskoka Plunge, a 60 ft. (18 m) tall waterslide complex featuring four speed slides, will kick-off the summer fun in Splash Works. Riders will feel the adrenaline rush when they step into an enclosed launch chamber and suddenly plummet into a high-speed free fall through S-curves and 360° loops at speeds of approximately 40 km/h.

For thrill-seekers that prefer to stay dry, Canada's Wonderland will be adding to its arsenal of world-class thrill rides with Soaring Timbers. This unique ride experience will send guests spiraling through the sky on two massive rotating gondolas that swing riders through sweeping arcs while rotating 360 degrees.

Canada's Wonderland has also recently announced a limited time offer on 2017 Season Passes for only $68.99 ($21.00 less than the current Season Pass price). As an additional benefit to purchasing next year's Season Pass now, new Passholders will receive one free visit this year and renewing Passholders will receive one free 2016 Fast Lane Plus pass, valid for one day this season.

For more information visit canadaswonderland.com.

Canada's Wonderland is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to Canada's Wonderland, Cedar Fair owns and operates 10 other amusement parks, two water parks, one indoor water park, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in California under a management contract.

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/canadas-wonderland-to-add-wet--wild-thrills-with-two-new-attractions-in-2017-591385711.html

20160826_C2681_PHOTO_EN_760105.thumb.jpg.853bf5a05876d38b24c9f7dfbb0bb4c8.jpg

The new Muskoka Plunge water slides coming to Canada's Wonderland in 2017.

20160826_C2681_PHOTO_EN_760107.thumb.jpg.0c74b47140613e2f341d5a7c939255e7.jpg

Soaring Timbers, the first ride of its kind in North America, set to debut at Canada's Wonderland in 2017.

I was definitely expecting one of the Tornado slides to make their way over, but this is a great addition for now.

Drop pod slides are something that I'm totally fine with being a carbon copy. Every water park should look into investing in them. And Soaring Timbers looks absolutely crazy. I think I may visit next year just to get on it. Can't wait to see everyone complain about the name. It's just good to see Wonderland investing in unique rides that compliment their lineup, not just bulk buys like Larson Loops.

CANADA'S WONDERLAND TO ADD WET & WILD THRILLS WITH TWO NEW ATTRACTIONS IN 2017

VAUGHAN, ON, Aug. 26, 2016 /CNW/ - Canada's Wonderland announced today it will be showcasing two new unique and adrenaline-pumping attractions in 2017. With the addition of towering water slides in Splash Works and a new thrill ride that will be the first of its kind in North America, guests will experience two exhilarating parks and one memorable 2017 season.

Muskoka Plunge, a 60 ft. (18 m) tall waterslide complex featuring four speed slides, will kick-off the summer fun in Splash Works. Riders will feel the adrenaline rush when they step into an enclosed launch chamber and suddenly plummet into a high-speed free fall through S-curves and 360° loops at speeds of approximately 40 km/h.

For thrill-seekers that prefer to stay dry, Canada's Wonderland will be adding to its arsenal of world-class thrill rides with Soaring Timbers. This unique ride experience will send guests spiraling through the sky on two massive rotating gondolas that swing riders through sweeping arcs while rotating 360 degrees.

Canada's Wonderland has also recently announced a limited time offer on 2017 Season Passes for only $68.99 ($21.00 less than the current Season Pass price). As an additional benefit to purchasing next year's Season Pass now, new Passholders will receive one free visit this year and renewing Passholders will receive one free 2016 Fast Lane Plus pass, valid for one day this season.

For more information visit canadaswonderland.com.

Canada's Wonderland is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to Canada's Wonderland, Cedar Fair owns and operates 10 other amusement parks, two water parks, one indoor water park, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in California under a management contract.

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/canadas-wonderland-to-add-wet--wild-thrills-with-two-new-attractions-in-2017-591385711.html

Before all the whining, moaning and bitching starts, I just want to say that personally, this is exactly what I expected for 2017, and more. The drop pod slides seem to be just what splashworks needed, and will definitely help them compete with other local water parks. The new flat ride also seems like a great addition. It's no coaster, but from what I've seen on YouTube, it should be a pretty thrilling ride.

Canada's Wonderland has a disgusting flat ride lineup - Giant Enterprise, UFO, Top Scan, Cliffhanger, Sky Roller, Jump2, Revolution, Windseeker, Swing Around, Calypso, and now this. Some of those only have 1 or 2 other examples in North America, if at all (that Jump2 is the only one ever built).

The drop slide installations seem to be very popular with guests across the chain, so I think it is a good move.

That flat ride looks amazing! Going to want to keep the hose and disinfectant close at hand though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very cool! After visiting parks where after riding the coasters and finding absolutely nothing to do for thrill seekers for the rest of the day, especially hard for anyone twho may not like coasters, these are great additions. I'm always in awe of how many different types of attractions are at CW. It's great to see them keep adding unique flat rides. I absolutely loved SkyHawk this year and these two new attractions seem like another great fit.

Those are two amazing additions to Canada's Wonderland! I had a strong feeling that we would be seeing an addition of a drop slide complex. But, the Soaring Timbers was a surprise! I am glad to see that they are adding another amazing Mondial ride! A Mondial Inferno appears to be an amazing ride! By the sounds of it, Soaring Timbers will be added to White Water Canyon section of the park. This may lead to the removal of Timberwolf Falls but, I am not too sure as of right now. I can't wait to see where it will be placed! I'm already looking forward to next year! Well done once again Canada's Wonderland!

So, is the slide tower going in Skyriders spot? Just curious. And why does Canada get all the cool flats? Are they afraid to bring them to America? And lastly. 2017 is looking very B&Mless, unless Six Flags adds one...Which is unlikely.

This site is way to B&M happy. There are some other very good and unique coaster manufactures out there

Why does cw need so many water and flat rides?

Well there waterpark is thin, and CW has an amazing flat ride collection that continues to get better every year. A lot of the coasters at CW are low capacity so having an extremely solid flat collection helps spread the love

I think it's really cool that this park is sticking with their unique flat rides in a sea of CF parks that have almost none or just cookie cutter flats.

Canada's Wonderland has a disgusting flat ride lineup - Giant Enterprise, UFO, Top Scan, Cliffhanger, Sky Roller, Jump2, Revolution, Windseeker, Swing Around, Calypso, and now this. Some of those only have 1 or 2 other examples in North America, if at all (that Jump2 is the only one ever built).

I agree! I really liked CW the last time I was there, and it was before Leviathan was even added. Their unique flat ride collection is awesome, and I'm excited to give this new addition a whirl next time I'm up there!