TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

What is the difference between the Voodoo and Blood on the Bayou haunt mazes? They seem similar.

It's pretty much the same concept.

What is the difference between the Voodoo and Blood on the Bayou haunt mazes? They seem similar.

they are the exact same but clearly voodoo at knott's would be better

Why is that? Those that have been through both say Bayou is a better maze.

I don't know how it is at other waterparks, but Dorney's is small and just doesn't have the capacity to handle the large volume of guests that go to the park on hot summer days. It gets way too crowded. I hardly go to the WWK side anymore. I don't know what world you've been living in, but Dorney does get busy, even on the ride side at times. Last Sunday we drove past the park and both paved parking lots were full. For being a smaller park they sure do get the crowds. It's probably not as bad on the weekdays. Sometimes May weekends are busy with school music groups, and some Haunt weekends are busy as well. I would say the least busy times are Early June, early September, some weekdays in summer. So Valleyfair's waterpark doesn't get as busy as Dorney's, jd? You can't stand the crowds at WWK either? Why is it some days the park is using overflow parking but other days only half of the main lot is full? I would guess that most parents have off from work on the weekends, so more people from out of the area can go to the park on weekends, making it busier. I don't think there's one weekend in July and August that's not busy, unless there's thunderstorms or heavy rain and people leave. Dorney might be investing in the park next year. Sounds like they might be getting new rides next year. Plus there's the Haunt improvements this fall.

No need to get so defensive. I simply said the part doesn't attract high volumes of thrill seekers. As a frequent visitor and season pass holder Dorney does get busy, but not because patrons are coming to ride their roller coasters. A majority of patrons seem to go to the water park and then gravitate to the less intense flat rides - or Thunder Canyon and White Water Landing. Even on a busy overfill lot getting full day, coaster wait time is no longer than 10-15 min... for the front row.

It's not that I can't stand the crowds at WWK, it is just that WWK doesn't have the capacity to handle the crowds. Has nothing to do with the park-goers themselves. The only benefit of Fast-Pass would be in the water park.

Throwing up a haunt house or flat ride doesn't nearly equate to the millions needed to invest in a new roller coaster. I think the fact the last two coasters at Dorney were hand-me-downs shows they don't seem to want to make a capital investment of that size currently as their last new custom built coaster is now 11 years young

I'm Planning to go to Dorney next week on Thursday. The wife and I have Platinum passes with meal plans.

I've been there a few times, but prior to 2007. I doubt we will hit the waterpark unless it's extremely hot, so I was wondering if there was a ride-order to do and if any of you that have the dining plan can recommend anything. I won't be going to Chickies and Petes as we have one at Cedar Point.

Thank you in advance.

Ride order at Dorney Park?

The park is legendary for its lack of crowds, even on really "crowded" days, so you can pretty much go wherever you want. But I would start with early entry on Talon, then after the rest of the park opens go to the left side of the park with the two shuttle inverted coasters which obviously have lower capacities. Then just loop around.

I'm Planning to go to Dorney next week on Thursday. The wife and I have Platinum passes with meal plans.

I've been there a few times, but prior to 2007. I doubt we will hit the waterpark unless it's extremely hot, so I was wondering if there was a ride-order to do and if any of you that have the dining plan can recommend anything. I won't be going to Chickies and Petes as we have one at Cedar Point.

Thank you in advance.

At Dorney, you don't need a ride order since pretty much everyone in the park is at the waterpark. Every ride on the dry side will most likely have a 10 minute line or less, so you can ride whatever you want in whatever order. Usually, I start with Talon (back left seat) since it's the BITP and do everything on that side of the park, then walk down the hill over by Hydra and do everything I want to at the lower end of the park.

As for dining plans, I don't have one nor have I looked into it so I can't help you there.

The only coaster that ever gets anything that even sort of resembles a line is the Wild Mouse because of its horrific capacity and operating procedure but even that line is usually a non issue.

"Ride order" really isn't a thing unless you count "Ride Stinger first so you get on it before it has another spectacular failure that makes the news and closes the ride down for the remainder of the season" as advice on "ride order".

Well apparently the park noticed all the high praise for the hitek next level video teaser they uploaded last week and went for the simple still image instead today. 2017 Announcement Thursday @ 9:15am.

dorneytease.jpg.875c4836ea6f81b356b1b4997a23a0b8.jpg

Wait, they're announcing it 45 minutes before the park opens on the main midway? Why? Wouldn't they want guests to be able to be there? They should do it during operating hours on the main midway that way there will be plenty of people to see...

Oh right.

Yeah I guess you may as well do it at 9:15. Same thing...

I thought that too.

Unrelated...

Police charge 8 with pot possession at Dorney Park

All the arrests came within about seven hours of each other on Sunday.

S. WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. - One of the longest lines at Dorney Park last weekend may have been the one before a district judge. Police on Sunday charged eight people with drug offenses in three separate incidents at the South Whitehall Township amusement park. Authorities allege one man ate evidence, two men were spotted smoking pot in the parking lot at 11 o’clock in the morning and that three people face charges after the smell of marijuana came wafting out of their locker.

:lol: I thought that too.

Unrelated...

Police charge 8 with pot possession at Dorney Park

All the arrests came within about seven hours of each other on Sunday.

S. WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. - One of the longest lines at Dorney Park last weekend may have been the one before a district judge. Police on Sunday charged eight people with drug offenses in three separate incidents at the South Whitehall Township amusement park. Authorities allege one man ate evidence, two men were spotted smoking pot in the parking lot at 11 o’clock in the morning and that three people face charges after the smell of marijuana came wafting out of their fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo.

Deleted Comment

S. WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. - One of the longest lines at Dorney Park last weekend may have been the one before a district judge. Police on Sunday charged eight people...

They thought they were just being cute but if there were eight people in line for something this is probably an accurate statement.

This is the last year for All Wheel Sports. The announcement comes 1 day before the 2017 announcement... could we be seeing a dark ride?

I'd guess sometime within the next 2/3 years, although if they come out tomorrow and say we are getting a dark ride of sorts, that'd be great as well. We have zero dark rides here at Dorney, unless you count falling asleep on Hydra.

Dorney used to have dark rides but they were all removed. Bucket O' Blood burned down Sept. 28, 1983, Musik Express went in its spot in 1984, Journey to the Center of the Earth was razed after 1992, and Meteorite PTC cuddle up formerly Iceberg until 1989 was removed after 1993 for Patio Pizza which is now the barbecue smokehouse. It would be nice for Dorney to get a new dark ride that operates in the spring and summer. Such as a Boo Blasters on Boo Hill like the two Kings parks have, or it could be one of those Triotech rides they're talking about. It seems Cedar Fair has gone in a different direction since Matt Ouimet took over as CEO. Cedar Fair is now willing to have themed indoor rides in its parks. Of course, Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, the former Paramount Parks have had newer dark rides for a while now, Flight of Fear indoor coasters, and Boo Blasters rides. Kings Dominion had a ride called Haunted River it was like Journey to the Center of the Earth and it had a lift and drop at the end, it was closed in 1995 though with Smurf Mountain for Volcano the Blast Coaster which opened 1998 in the old mountain. Kings Dominion in the 90's under Paramount was like Dorney Park under Cedar Fair. They removed/closed dark rides, and some other rides probably in the name of safety or some other reason. Cedar Point had an old dark ride from Freedomland in Bronx, NY called Pirate Ride that they got in the 60's but it closed after 1996 for some reason. It was an old electric rail ride with different rooms and scenes like Bucket O' Blood. The cars were shaped like boats. It was replaced with an arcade on the loading platform in 1997, with the interior used for storage. Now, it is used for a Boo Hill walk-through attraction for Halloweekends. Yeah, CP still has a Boo Hill and Halloweekends name long after Dorney got rid of theirs. DP got the Haunt name in 2008, and retired Boo/Kill Hill for Mansion House Hotel for 2010. I'm looking forward to the 2017 announcements tomorrow and the names of the two new indoor haunt mazes replacing Desolation and Asylum. I know Desolation is going to be a Blood on the Bayou.