TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's your favorite Flat ride?

Lap bars!? Yes please! That sounds awesome, I need to get myself on a KMG of some sort soon...

Hopefully I will make it to Fright Nights

As an actual contribution, I think my favorite high-intensity flat recently was the Fabbri Evolution at The Fair... they ran it really slow and it's ugly but an extra bonus was that the first time I rode it, a maintenance worker was up on the platform greasing the main bearing while we were riding it

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

There was a man on that catwalk while we were riding it (not my photo)

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so this is actually my first post in a long time, but I figured this thread might be the best place to ask.

I've been trying for quite some time now to find out more about a flat ride that was featured in an old VHS tape I used to have called Awesome Rides. If memory serves me correctly, the ride was called the Tumbler, and it looked absolutely bizarre. Here's a clip of the beginning of the video that I found on YouTube (the ride in question appears briefly at the 1:16 mark):

I also think I might have found something similar, maybe a modern predecessor, on a used flat rides website. Other than this, I don't know anything about this ride. I've even been thinking about buying the VHS tape from Amazon and finding an old VCR to try and find out more about it. Does anyone at all remember this, or am I going crazy?

(Also, to keep this post relevant, I'm a total sucker for Tilt-a-Whirls.)

Actually, I'll change. This... thing is my favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyFhaJTAhqc

What the hell is that?... It looks amazing

Is it the new enterprise model Huss was advertising a while back?

^^As for KMGs, definetly try to make it out to ride one! the one in the pic with the lap bars looks amazing, but as said a few posts back, even the smaller "Freakout" models can be crazy fun with a good long cycle. Once rode a freakout at a fair where we were given a 5 minute long cycle... One of the most fun experiences I've had in a ride.

• 2 weeks later...

I do still love an Enterprise. Paratroopers, Calypso, Space Rollers. Also Shake/Magnum, and I always manage to have a good time on Storm.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Scat is also more intense than it looks.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Fighter has a good "whip" effect.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I've only been on it once, but I never forgot my ride on High Roller:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

There is a carnival that is in the middle of refurbishing perhaps the most legendary flat ride of all time: the Chance Turbo. Would love to finally get on one of these! Unbelievable to think that Belmont Park in San Diego had one of these operating.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

• 5 months later...
I do still love an Enterprise. Paratroopers, Calypso, Space Rollers. Also Shake/Magnum, and I always manage to have a good time on Storm.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Scat is also more intense than it looks.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Fighter has a good "whip" effect.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I've only been on it once, but I never forgot my ride on High Roller:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

There is a carnival that is in the middle of refurbishing perhaps the most legendary flat ride of all time: the Chance Turbo. Would love to finally get on one of these! Unbelievable to think that Belmont Park in San Diego had one of these operating.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but as far as I know, the turbo you mentioned was deemed a lost cause, and hasn't been redone yet

Fortunately, chance is still making zippers (one of my favourite flats). Will be really interesting to see how the new open air seats hold up (let's hope they're worth the wait... Larson switched to open air cars on super loops nearly 20 years ago. Wonder why chance took 2 decades to catch up and do the same with their zippers?).

If the zipper 2.0 project goes well, I'm really hoping we'll see a park model zipper down the line (would be better than the park model super loops, that's for sure ). Maybe we'll even see a brand new turbo be built?...

Seems like chance is really on a roll lately between their new coasters and their re-entry into the flat ride market.

• 4 months later...
Okay, so this is actually my first post in a long time, but I figured this thread might be the best place to ask.

I've been trying for quite some time now to find out more about a flat ride that was featured in an old VHS tape I used to have called Awesome Rides. If memory serves me correctly, the ride was called the Tumbler, and it looked absolutely bizarre. Here's a clip of the beginning of the video that I found on YouTube (the ride in question appears briefly at the 1:16 mark):

I also think I might have found something similar, maybe a modern predecessor, on a used flat rides website. Other than this, I don't know anything about this ride. I've even been thinking about buying the VHS tape from Amazon and finding an old VCR to try and find out more about it. Does anyone at all remember this, or am I going crazy?

(Also, to keep this post relevant, I'm a total sucker for Tilt-a-Whirls.)

Holy crap! I haven't seen that video in almost 20 years! And I totally remember thinking the same exact thing about whatever that ride is. If I remember correctly, they do show a lot more about it later on. Now I want to watch lol

Flyers at Knoebels. I haven't been on another flying scooter ride anywhere else that came even close to these.

Looper at Knoebels. Such a fun and unique ride.

Anything at Knoebels! But especially the flyers.

Also, just rode it at my local fair but the Zipper is still probably my favorite flat ride even though I've never seen one at a theme park. I think it would be sick to have a theme park version of the Zipper, but part of the fun of that ride is how janky some of the fair versions feel. I always inevitably have a conversation with someone about what would happen if the door came open, or if one of the seats got flung off the ride. I've never heard of a Zipper accident but there always seem to be ferris wheel accidents (I was actually in one).

^^ Canadianparkfan -- WOW, thanks for helping me learn something new today -- The Roller! I've seen a few images of that model ride, but I wrongfully assumed that the [____]-shaped structure stayed put. Talk about some wacky maneuvers and directional changes!

Once I passed my teenage years, my nausea tolerance fell off precipitously and for good. That said, the best flats for me are the S&S Screamin' Swings with short cycles. I know that lots of people would prefer a few more swings, but I'm essentially at my threshold on the quicker cycles, and I appreciate the relatively brief ride duration.

The Zamperla Giant Discovery is the best flat I've ever done -- very intense and powerful, but the long cycle and spinning makes each lap a Pyrrhical experience for me.

Here is my top ten favorite flat rides.

1. S&S Screamin' Swing

2. Larson SuperLoop

3. HUSS Frisbee

4. Bussink Evolution

5. HUSS/Schwarzkopf Enterprise

6. HUSS Condor

7. HUSS Top spin

8. Intamin Drop Tower

9. Zamperla Swinging Ship

10. S&S Double Shot

• 1 month later...

That ride the guy posted above i never got to go on but its looks soooo awesome! A carnival i went to had one but sadly it was closed down:( Im sure if i got to ride it,it would join my list of favorite flat rides!

anyways my favorite flat rides are:

-Drop towers and launch towers!

-giant swinging rides like the one at Cedar Point or the 4 seated one at My Olympus also the giant spinning disk rides like at CP and KI

-rides like King Chaos at SF Great America

Those are usually flats you mostly only see at amusement parks and/or big state fairs now ill list flats you'd see at standard local carnivals/fairs

-Ring of Fire/Larson Loop

-Invertor

-power surge

-zippers and rock-o-planes

-swinging spinning disk rides

-swinging pirate ship

Sadly though i dont see many zippers rock-o-planes or Loops anymore though..

Oh and i forgot one specific mention is that ride that goes off the edge of the Stratosphere tower is Las Vegas. I dont remember the name of it but it goes off a tilting track. Thats like a hybrid between a flat and a coaster:P

In all honest i love all flats that drop you,shoot you up,flip you,make you go upside down,or swinging you high up!

standard going in circles spin and spews are fun and all but not nearly as thrilling as the thrill flats.

My all time favorite flat ride.

Bill forced me on that ride in Wildwood over the summer. Terrifying.

I might ride it again, but I'd have get a buzz going beforehand.

Also, pretty sure I answered Screamin Swing in this thread before but now it's definitely:

IMAG1511.thumb.jpg.22794fe5c7911d29a316a4ae2adbcb58.jpg

For me in no order:

Slammer

Uppswingit

Samurai (only on intense setting though)

AIR

XXL

Höjdskräcken

Apocalypse

Hangover

I actually have many great flat rides which I would want to put here. Often I can get a better experience on a ride than any rollercoaster.