TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

^Exactly...unless you're going on a Saturday in late October when you'll run into Howl-o-Scream crowds.

Actually this wouldn't be an awful thing either now that I think about it. Yes, the crowds at night will be huge but the event is really amazing. We went last year and were blown away. If you haven't been to a big budget haunt like Universal I would almost suggest going out of your way for it if you're into that kind of thing. We were used to small regional park haunts (Six Flags Fright Fest, Halloweekends... things like that) and this is on an entirely different level. Since you'll be in Florida in October I'd suggest that or HHN if it works with your schedule.

^Exactly...unless you're going on a Saturday in late October when you'll run into Howl-o-Scream crowds.

Actually this wouldn't be an awful thing either now that I think about it. Yes, the crowds at night will be huge but the event is really amazing. We went last year and were blown away. If you haven't been to a big budget haunt like Universal I would almost suggest going out of your way for it if you're into that kind of thing. We were used to small regional park haunts (Six Flags Fright Fest, Halloweekends... things like that) and this is on an entirely different level. Since you'll be in Florida in October I'd suggest that or HHN if it works with your schedule.

I wish it could but we're going down the 11th and leaving the 14th so the 12th is dedicated to BGT and the 13th for a Big Cat sanctuary.

• 2 weeks later...
Very excited to be a the park today while visiting my brother down in Tampa. Any tips?

know it's late in the day (just got home from work . sorry).

my tip is to ask at Falcon's Fury if they have any single rider line. They might pull you way forward in the queue to fill an empty slot that would help you avoid the long,long line it gets.

(oh, and don't skip Scorpion.. awesome older coaster).

here's the trip report from when we were there 3 weeks ago (that I mentioned a few pages back I had been working on. . done now, with lots of BGT pics):

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72163

Thanks for all the tips and the TR^

I had a blast today we didn't stay till night time we went right at opening and left around 5 right before the rain started. I have absolutely nothing but amazing things to say about this park. I enjoyed every coaster

If I had to pick a surprise and a disappointment, I'd have to say Kumba blew me away. I am now a Kumba fanboy 110%. One of the most intense coasters I have been on and relentless too. A disappointment is Cheetah Hunt, which is odd that Intamin fell short to B&M. Although I did ride Falcon 7 times and it is truly spectacular so they didn't totally disappoint. Montu was amazing just as I expected as well as Shrieka which I'd say beats out Griffion IMO. Scorpion was very fun too for its age. I must say Cobra just didn't do it for me. Not much spinning and very lackluster in unique elements but still fun for the family nonetheless.

Gwazi sat rotting as I stared at it each time I rode Shrieka or Falcon, such a shame with the awesome layout. I really hope they do something soon. There is also much more open land around the coaster that would really come in handy should they demolish it completely and build from scratch. Here's to hoping it finds peace soon.

image.thumb.jpeg.6c153457af449945083b9b0ce8b121b3.jpeg

I wish it could but we're going down the 11th and leaving the 14th so the 12th is dedicated to BGT and the 13th for a Big Cat sanctuary.

Hi B&M.

If you have any interest in experiencing a top Halloween experience I would suggest you switch days and do Big Cat on Wed 12th and BGT on Thurs 13th since Howl-O-Scream is that evening. I would call and ask about a day ticket / Howl-O-Scream ticket combo. Didn't see much on their website, but I bet they have a discount if you are at their park during the day. Most rides are running between day park and Howl-O-Scream event times for those who have tickets to both. Thursdays are the slowest Howl-O-Scream nights so you will have time to ride some of your favorite coasters at night besides going through all of the haunted houses. They usually have 7-8 haunted houses, 1 or 2 shows - Fiends show is very popular, many kinds of roaming monsters, some on stilts, and special haunt areas through the park. It's a fun experience you must try once, unless you hate anything scary. Riding the coasters at night may make it worth it for you. Iceplorations and Opening Night Critters are great daytime shows to try to fit in with the coasters during your visit. It should be slow so weather permitting you can get in many re-rides! Enjoy!

I'd have to say Kumba blew me away. I am now a Kumba fanboy 110%. One of the most intense coasters I have been on and relentless too.

It really is one of the best "old loopers" in existence today, if not THE best!

Sorry to hear about Cheetah Hunt... I haven't had the opportunity to ride it yet, but am very excited to do so on my next trip to Florida. Maybe I should temper my expectations somewhat...

I just love BGT! Definitely my favorite place to go when I visit Florida, and yes, that's including all of the Orlando attractions!

Just thinking: Not sure what time you arrive on the 11th and leave on the 14th, but you could fit in Big Cat Rescue on one of those days. I have been there and the tour took about an hour. It's not a park or zoo, so after your guided tour it is over you're done, except shopping in their gift shop. You could then consider getting a 2 park pass to SeaWorld & BGT (a great deal!) and spend Wednesday over at Seaworld and ride Mako, Manta, and Kraken and do BGT Thursday and ask about discount on Howl-O-Scream before buying your tickets. SeaWorld Orlando is about 60 -70 minute drive from Tampa.

In a bit of sad news that I saw on my feed today, a guy reached into Pinky the Flamingo's exhibit in Jambo Junction, picked her up and slammed her to the ground. Due to her injuries, she had to be euthanized. Pinky was always one of my favorite animals at the park and she was extremely friendly. She was one of their animal ambassadors and known throughout the country because of her appearances on several talk shows. I'll miss seeing her there. Dude better have it coming for him!

Here's the news article: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-flamingo-euthanized-after-attack-busch-gardens-n622296

Edited by Coasterguy21

Out of all of the thug life, homicide related, and drug related crap I deal with at work, nothing still satisfies me like locking some dirt bag up for felony aggravated cruelty to an animal. I hate people who mess with animals. F*** that guy.

In a bit of sad news that I saw on my feed today, a guy reached into Pinky the Flamingo's exhibit in Jambo Junction, picked her up and slammed her to the ground. Due to her injuries, she had to be euthanized. Pinky was always one of my favorite animals at the park and she was extremely friendly. She was one of their animal ambassadors and known throughout the country because of her appearances on several talk shows. I'll miss seeing her there. Dude better have it coming for him!

Here's the news article: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-flamingo-euthanized-after-attack-busch-gardens-n622296

This is just pathetic. You really have to have some serious issues to do things like this. She was such a fun sweat animal, my boys liked having their picture taken with her.

not sure if either of these are Pinky, but this is the enclosure it happened in. . the friendly birds really do come right up to the low fence

we were just there 3 weeks ago!

people can be such evil bastards . . . .

IMG_2445.thumb.JPG.178cee36380d1c6dddebae21dcef8954.JPG

IMG_2446.thumb.JPG.fb2c2a0e26403d05eb2449157d734c7d.JPG

*sigh* What the hell is wrong with people??

OMG, No!!!!!!

That POS needs to be euthanized! I hope he's barred from every theme park in the USA after this POS serves his time in the slammer and I hope he gets slammed to the ground and worse!

PS. I also believe BGT needs to put more visible employees around the animal locations. I have seen a guy jump the fence into the alligator area and pull a gators tail. He jumped back out and was able to leave the park without anyone saying a thing! I told employees who just stood there and did nothing! Park said they don't chase down anyone, but what the guy did is a felony! They must put surveillance cameras up in animal locations and have employees take better care of their animals. I never heard of animals being mistreated and killed when the park was owned by Anheuser-Busch! They must look out for their animals better!

We seriously need to Make America Great Again. Those who don't see how our country has decline in many ways in the past decade need to wake up. We need to take action to make our country safer and more peaceful. I'm sick of loud rioters and violence everywhere! Too many narcissistic "me, me, me" people who care only about themselves and are violent to others. Darn, this ruined my mood, poor Pinky!

Edited by CoasterGoddess

Out of all of the thug life, homicide related, and drug related crap I deal with at work, nothing still satisfies me like locking some dirt bag up for felony aggravated cruelty to an animal. I hate people who mess with animals. F*** that guy.

There are some really sick, sick people in this world....more of them every day it seems. I wouldn't be opposed at all to see these idiots get something more than a little jail time and a slap on the wrist - they certainly deserve it.

I can't recall how many times I have seen people doing really disgusting and morbid things to animals on the local Buffalo news and it just makes me want to wretch. One of the main reasons why I love Busch Gardens Tampa is because I am an animal lover and just love to learn about different species and basically admire their beauty.

PS. I also believe BGT needs to put more visible employees around the animal locations. I have seen a guy jump the fence into the alligator area and pull a gators tail. He jumped back out and was able to leave the park without anyone saying a thing! I told employees who just stood there and did nothing! Park said they don't chase down anyone, but what the guy did is a felony! They must put surveillance cameras up in animal locations and have employees take better care of their animals. I never heard of animals being mistreated and killed when the park was owned by Anheuser-Busch! They must look out for their animals better!

I share your frustrations, but let's please not do the typical 2016 thing and overreact to an isolated incident where it ruins everyone's experience. It's hard to say how many millions of visitors had the same opportunity to do the same thing, but didn't. I don't want barbed wire fences for enclosures 50 feet away with constant video surveillance, machine gun nests, land mines, and warning signs, just because of one dumba$$. In addition to this, I don't want my ticket prices raised for the militarization of BGT.

Let's not forget that park employees have no lawful detention powers. Police authority is extremely limited on hearsay information, let alone the authority of some teenage park employees. If they didn't see it, it doesn't matter to them. You can only squeeze so much care out of a $10/hour employee.

I don't know Florida law, so I can't say for certain if trespassing on an animal enclosure is felony or not. Seems steep, but who knows. Despite all that, I would be surprised if the Florida States Attorney's office would even take the time to prosecute this charge at felony level if no damages occurred. Even worst case scenario you're probably talking a few days in a county jail for all of that trouble. Typical scenario would probably be a mid level fine, probation, or a little community service. This is unless Florida law is drastically different from Illinois law, which I don't believe it is since from what I have heard my Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board certification is transferable to Florida.

The main concern here is the protection of the park's civil liability. The best interest of the park would probably be to trespass the customer from the park. Either way, it's only a matter of time before all of these up close encounters are gone due to stupid people breaking the rules, getting hurt, and the court systems continuously allowing lawsuits against the parks. These lawsuits almost always result in a lower out of court settlement as opposed to a high court cost. Why? "Because it's cheaper to just give them $50,000 to drop the issue as opposed to paying $75,000 in attorney fees and court costs to fight the case." Pitiful, isn't it?

Buy me a couple beers and I'll continue to talk even more about how completely f****d the justice system is. Judging from your post, I have personal stories which would likely infuriate you. God Bless America.

So very sad. I LOVED the flamingos when I was there. They're magical creatures. We would take them on walks in the park. They like to "preen" you and they'd chew at your hair and shirt. They're so loud and funny looking but also cute! Here's a couple of my pics

IMG_1938.thumb.jpg.e7d3ea53cd9bfeb759d8280c6e1b024f.jpg

From one of our walks. We'd basically corral them and they were trained to walk when the keepers walked. They get taken on walks almost every day (if not every day) and guests would just stare in disbelief at all of them walking by.

IMG_1940.thumb.jpg.993e3c65db950a99a5fde5d330d8317d.jpg

Flamingo selfie!