TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

So where, in relation to the Orlando Eye, is this going? I can look at the maps, but am having trouble placing it in my mind.

I'm looking forward to watching this go up (like I did with the Eye) and can't wait to give it a spin.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching that latest POV was really awesome, and got me psyched for this project!

Having said that, however, I am having serious doubts about a vertical launch system of that height being anything remotely resembling reliable! On the plus side though, rollbacks should be much more frequent than on TTD, and would be pretty fun!

The vertical launch lift thingy did seem a little like something that would be a maintenance nightmare, but hey, who knows.

A vertical lift of that height and speed would also be awesome. The lack of OTSRs in the POV also makes me excited to see how it turns out

Having said that, however, I am having serious doubts about a vertical launch system of that height being anything remotely resembling reliable! On the plus side though, rollbacks should be much more frequent than on TTD, and would be pretty fun!

I really don't get this statement though. . . What makes you think that this launch won't be reliable?? (Aside from the height as you mentioned.) I really don't see how height alone is going to cause the launch to be unreliable. . . And what makes you think this coaster is going to have frequent roll backs?? Aside from the height, and hope??

I really don't get this statement though. . . What makes you think that this launch won't be reliable?? (Aside from the height as you mentioned.) I really don't see how height alone is going to cause the launch to be unreliable. . . And what makes you think this coaster is going to have frequent roll backs?? Aside from the height, and hope??

My best guess would be that it's a vertical launch. Only one other coaster does that, (Wicked at Lagoon,) and even then it launches horizontally first before going up the launch on the tower.

Unless I'm mistaken that there is another vertical launch coaster out there.

I'm not 100% sure who they settled on building this thing (or even if they have), but I know at one point Intamin was talked about. If that's still the case, no need to explain further!

However, regardless of manufacturer, launched coasters do experience more than typical downtime usually, and as I was watching the POV, I was just struck by the fact that if the ENTIRE launch doesn't go off without a hitch, every time, going completely vertical no less, there's going to be rollbacks - plenty of them! Besides that, there are just other things about this project that seem a little... I don't know... Off? Sketchy? Hard to pin down, but watching that video, the fact that it's a huge vertical launch (has that ever been done, even on a smaller scale), struck me as a definite potential problem spot, right off the bat. Hopefully not, but it's a reasonable thought, at the very least...

I'm not 100% sure who they settled on building this thing (or even if they have), but I know at one point Intamin was talked about. If that's still the case, no need to explain further! [emoji38]

However, regardless of manufacturer, launched coasters do experience more than typical downtime usually, and as I was watching the POV, I was just struck by the fact that if the ENTIRE launch doesn't go off without a hitch, every time, going completely vertical no less, there's going to be rollbacks - plenty of them! Besides that, there are just other things about this project that seem a little... I don't know... Off? Sketchy? Hard to pin down, but watching that video, the fact that it's a huge vertical launch (has that ever been done, even on a smaller scale), struck me as a definite potential problem spot, right off the bat. Hopefully not, but it's a reasonable thought, at the very least...

The only coaster that comes to mind with a vertical launch is Wicked at Lagoon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

For whatever it's worth it's really looks more like a LIM powered vertical lift than a "launch", not that it changes the discussion any.

I had tried to avoid any actual designation as to what kind of launch it was, though I agree with your assessment, because I'm not sure I've seen it described anywhere, and this project still feels SO fluid at this point.

^I'm right there with you! If they can pull this off, it will be pretty awesome!

Regarding Wicked at Lagoon, that is an example of a vertical launch, but on a much smaller scale than what it appears will be on this... Still, valid question for our Lagoon aficionados... What is the reliability/downtime like on Wicked?

Just imagine a rollback on that thing.

I think it would be a lot less exciting than you are thinking. I'm thinking something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhDxuKuhL-s

This is off-topic but I just have to point out how dumb this is:

646848259_ScreenShot2016-07-06at03_47_15.thumb.png.a40f3958ab3eef0f6c4b20f408edb701.pngIt annoys me when people don't understand how things like YouTube work. Your views count toward your channel regardless if it's watched on YouTube or embedded into another page, so why would anyone turn this option on? Ugh...

I'm pointing this out just to help educate people a bit more... Don't be this guy! lol

^Even weirder that the owner would turn it on when they have this in the comments section.

As long as the right people are watching and share it. I leave embedding turned on my vids. It counts as a view on YT.

• 5 months later...

A lot of people in this thread don't seem to understand the difference between how LIM's and LSM's work when they aren't on....

It's simple:

LIM's allow fins to pass through freely while powered off...

LSM's don't allow fins to pass through freely while powered off...

LSM coasters don't need complicated anti-rollback mechanisms like the pneumatics on TTD/Ka or rows of skid brakes on the spaghetti bowls.

A lot of people in this thread don't seem to understand the difference between how LIM's and LSM's work when they aren't on....

It's simple:

LIM's allow fins to pass through freely while powered off...

LSM's don't allow fins to pass through freely while powered off...

LSM coasters don't need complicated anti-rollback mechanisms like the pneumatics on TTD/Ka or rows of skid brakes on the spaghetti bowls.

That's interesting because a full speed rollback would reach about 120 MPH and the needed curving recovery would be the largest element of the whole coaster except the lift itself.

You missed my point... the Skyplex coaster is an LSM launch meaning that a rollback would just slowly roll back down the hill... probably under 10mph like the Maverick video linked earlier in the thread.

There's no special programming or brakes or anything since the LSM's just act as brakes when they don't have any power.

• 6 months later...