TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tallest coaster you've been on.

The tallest steel coaster I've been on is Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland. It's 306 feet tall! The tallest wooden coaster I've been on is The Mighty Canadian Minebuster at Canada's Wonderland which stands 90 feet tall!

Edited by Johnlloyd

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steel: Steel Dragon 2000, Nagashima Spa Land (Nagashima, Kuwana, Mie, Japan) 2007

Wood: Colossos, Heide Park Resort (Soltau, Lower Saxony, Germany) 2008

1) Superman: Escape From Krypton - 328 feet (I count drop height, not structure height)

2) Superman: The Escape - 328 feet (It's a different coaster because train is reversed)

3) Goliath SFMM - 255 feet

4) Xcelerator - 205 feet

5) Viper SFMM - 171 feet

Edited by coloradocoasterguy

Top 4

1 Top Thrill Dragster (rather overhyped for me.....sort of a "is that it?!" feeling once over)

2 Superman Escape from Krypton...enjoyed it a lot

3 Millenium Force..Great fun

4 Leviathan...front row for me still ranks highly...top 6.

I'm completely with you here! I've been on both TTD, and KK (which I prefer to TTD, actually - at least in the front), and while they are a rush, and I have them ranked decently, they are certainly not among my favorite coasters, both because of their overall brevity, and also the fact that their huge height is mitigated in its impact, by how quickly you're up there and back down again...

That would be the earth shaking, record breaking Kingda Ka!

2) Dragster

3) Superman? Does anyone care about this thing or acknowledge that it exists?

After reading the first post I quoted, I realized that my list should have actually looked like yours, but like you pointed out, completely forget about it even existing, or being as tall as it is!

1. Nitro

2. Intimidator 305

3. Millenium Force

4. Top Thrill Dragster

5. Kingda Ka

You know you're bottom 4 are all taller than your number 1?

Totally meant to number that in exactly the opposite direction, woops.

Responded a while back, but didn't give a list. Figured I'd run a quick search on RCDB and came up with this:

1. Kingda Ka

2. Top Thrill Dragster

3. Millennium Force

4. Intimidator 305

5. Intimidator

6. Diamondback

6a. Nitro (same height)

Kingda Ka, but with the opening of SkyScraper coming soon, that will soon change.

Shouldn't count as there is no drop. What does it matter how high in the air you are if you don't experience that height with a drop. I went on the coaster on Stratosphere in Vegas. It's over 900 feet up but there are no drops. As fart as the coaster itself, it's essentially a kiddie coaster. Even being that high up wasn't any more scary than standing on an observation platform.

Now, Stratosphere should put an Intamin drop ride on their tower. It would be decades before anyone ever built a taller one.

Kingda Ka, but with the opening of SkyScraper coming soon, that will soon change.

Shouldn't count as there is no drop. What does it matter how high in the air you are if you don't experience that height with a drop.

I'm with you 100%! I still feel like counting SkyScraper the same way one would count Millennium Force or Fury, is extremely sketchy! Heck, I always clarify the difference between traditional lift hill coasters (like the aforementioned) and TTD, KK, because I feel like the height on those coasters is more of a gimmick, than something really notable. They're really all about the speed, and the high top hat is just a way to burn it off...

Shouldn't count as there is no drop. What does it matter how high in the air you are if you don't experience that height with a drop.

I'm with you 100%! I still feel like counting SkyScraper the same way one would count Millennium Force or Fury, is extremely sketchy! Heck, I always clarify the difference between traditional lift hill coasters (like the aforementioned) and TTD, KK, because I feel like the height on those coasters is more of a gimmick, than something really notable. They're really all about the speed, and the high top hat is just a way to burn it off...

You got me thinking. Some might say, well at least with KK and TTD you fall 400 feet. But do you really get that experience when it isn't a true drop? Would probably be more fun without the twist. The twist acts to slow you down.

I'm gonna be honest, you guys are really going way over my head saying Kingda Ka isn't a coaster or that you need a lift hill to count a drop. I'm not one to say that "anything that wants to be a coaster, is!" but seriously?

Side note--the twist on Dragster/Ka doesn't slow the train. Those would be the brakes. It's just a cool visual effect, basically.

I would never say Kingda Ka isn't a coaster (it is), and certainly a drop is a drop is a drop. However, my point is that the whole "top hat to reach record breaking heights", or "coaster winding down a tower gradually" don't hold a candle to an actual lift hill, followed by a drop of nearly the same height, when it comes to really experiencing what it's like to: a) be really high up on a coaster, and b) plummet straight down towards the ground, without distracting twists or curving around a tower. And again, this is how I feel, personally, and how I break things down. Every enthusiast or GP can have their own opinion on the matter, and every enthusiast or GP is right!