TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top Roller Coaster Myths & Rumors!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a coaster is dropped off the lift "x" mph faster, it's top speed is "x" mph faster.

This is more of a misunderstanding among enthusiasts, but the speed off the lift impacts the top speed much less than you might think.

For example, El Toro's and Skyush's cables have been slowed down somewhat at some point since their opening, and I've heard many people say how much better a ride they think both would have been with the faster lift speed. Unless it is really a MAJOR difference, five mph slower will barely reduce the speed at all.

^True. Comparing some skyrush POVs from 2012 and now (and even counting the seconds the ride takes to hit the brakes) there is nearly (if any) difference. The only part that seems affected is the first drop. That being said, I have only ridden it after 2012, so maybe someone who has tried both versions will be able to clarify this.

• 6 months later...

It is a very, very common misconception that the Big Dipper at Geauga Lake was the longest roller coaster at the time of its opening. This is not true because the Thriller at Euclid Beach opened in 1924 and was 2,927 feet long, while the Big Dipper opened in 1925 and was only 2,680 feet long.

There are some Alton Towers enthusiasts that seem to think that Nemesis has one train that is 3seconds faster than the other.

At Lagoon, the Green and Pink Trains on Wild Mouse do Travel Faster than the Blue, Yellow, and Maroon Trains and the Blue Train on Fire Dragon Runs Faster than Green and Red, when they are Empty, so it could be possible. If I hadn't operated these Coasters myself, I wouldn't believe such a thing, but the PLC and Timers don't Lie.

On X Flight, If you are in the backseat and you have a quarter in your lap, when you go through the inverted drop, the person on the opposite side of the train, in the front, will catch it. Kinda a new twist on the quarter loop myth.

• 9 months later...

Sorry I'm not reading 19 pages of comments so if this has already been said I'm sorry.

If you put a coin on your knee while on drop rides it will float and you can catch it again at the bottom. But if it hits someone in the head it will kill them. (I actually have a scar from where a nickel hit my arm while waiting for Supreme Scream.)

When Orphan Rocker at Scenic World Australia was testing the ride was so violent that it threw the sandbags off the cliff and into the forest below. I went for a job interview there and they said that is a complete myth.

If you put a coin on your knee while on drop rides it will float and you can catch it again at the bottom.

It's possible on Demon Drop! It usually floats up to about eye level by the time you hit the pullout.

When Orphan Rocker at Scenic World Australia was testing the ride was so violent that it threw the sandbags off the cliff and into the forest below. I went for a job interview there and they said that is a complete myth.

The GP isn't finished...

The one that sticks in my mind the most is that several people have been decapitated over the years when they tried to stand up on Space Mountain at WDW (which of course isn't true).

Well as the Cult of Skank Mountain (I'm in it ) knows, it's all possible

The one that sticks in my mind the most is that several people have been decapitated over the years when they tried to stand up on Space Mountain at WDW (which of course isn't true).

Well as the Cult of Skank Mountain (I'm in it ) knows, it's all possible

I most definitely smacked a support with my hand on WDW's Space Mountain. Not on purpose, and it did not feel good at all. Not sure how fast you have to be going or what kind of force needs to be exerted to decapitate someone though.

I heard a lot of people talk about Giant Drop at SFGAm decapitate someone, because their hair caught on the ride cords.

Nah it'll just rip the cornrows out of your scalp.

Source: The Gang Goes To The Jersey Shore, from the documentary It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Just in case anyone has forgotten... Let's not forget that Magnum XL-200 is SINKING!!

It's only about 150 ft. tall nowadays. Therefore let's start speculation on a new B&M hyper.

I also heard from one of my friends before that Prowler is faster than Mamba.

I've even heard Patriot is relocated.

(I'm hoping nobody has said this yet). My favorite is the myth known as centrifugal force. It's a completely fictitious force, and it still boggles my mind that parks still use it for marketing purposes.

Centrifugal force is an apparent force. And is the one that might actually mean something in media.

I remember hearing that when Mr. Freeze was testing, the heads flew off all the dummies.

Also, that a rider fell off Timber Wolf trying to change seats at the top of the lift hill.

A girl did fall off of the Timberwolf as it was ascending the hill, and it happened because she was trying to change seats. The park then added lap bars AND seat belts. That one's true. Sad, but true.

...that an old Schwarzkopf Looping Star had the train get stuck upside down at the top of the loop for over an hour before the riders could be rescued.

I guess you could say that one is partially true as a train did in fact get stuck upside down on a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop in Belgium.