Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: Afterburner and 24 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby BotanicalStig » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:14 am

Yesterday turned out to be a good day to go. Crowds were pretty light (due to the miserable weather) but like ejot mentioned Fury didn't open until after 7. We got there as soon as we could after seeing it run, but we were in line for about an hour before getting on. By the time we got on, the queue was full. It ran great last night, but the park was only running two trains. We never saw this last year, hopefully this doesn't become a habit.

Plants VS Zombies wasn't very good. They did a good job with theming (we really liked the paint job on the hot sauce guns) but the gameplay was kind of lame. The theater was pretty quiet (no music or anything while playing), just the sound of zombies going "uuhg" or "blaaah" when you shoot them. The park advertised this as "the first interactive ride where you play against another team". This just isn't true. You do not play against the other team. Both teams are shooting at wandering plants or zombies, not each other. Scores are compared at the end, but that is a lame "first ever" when every other interactive ride does this (including boo blasters just down the pathway). Also, it was really hard to tell where you were shooting. That said, having another way to escape the heat this summer will be greatly appreciated.

On to the food. Chickie's and Pete's was a nightmare, just like last year and the year before. Such a shame, the food is so good, but you're always left to wait 40 minutes for a sandwich and fries. I don't understand why they still can't get it together over there. Oh well. Harmony hall was excellent, as always. One last thought on the restaurants, why isn't a drink included in the dining plan?

Taste of the Carolinas, we didn't try a whole lot. Here is what we did get.

Upstate South Carolina Region
Jalapeno Pimento Cranberry Cheese Balls

Lexington Barbecue Region
Beer Basted Pulled Pork Sliders

Charleston Region
Shrimp and Grits

The "cheese balls" was a nacho-ish cheese dip with three crackers. It was delicious (and only 2 tokens) but not really "balls". We did find their naming choices to be a bit odd throughout the day.

I got the pulled pork slider, it was excellent, so was the slaw that came with it. 4 tokens, worth it.

My wife got the shrimp and grits. It was two pieces of deep fried shrimp with tartar sauce. When asked why it had no grits, the lady said it wasn't actually supposed to come with grits. She said they just called it that. This was stupid. 4 tokens, and not really worth it. My slider was better, and much more food.

I also tried a beer, "White Zombie". I'm partial to wheat beer, and this was a pretty good one. 4 tokens well spent.

Taste of the Carolinas was pretty good, again. Not amazing, and pretty expensive considering the amount of food you get. I like that they are continuing this event, there is plenty to try.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby ejot » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:29 am

The pulled pork spring roll was also a great option at 3 tokens and beautifully prepared. I had the same exact thoughts on the cheese "ball" and shrimp/grits. Needed a couple more crackers for the cheese too. Also tried the sausage/fig/goat cheese popover - ugly but de-lish. Cream ale and oatmeal stout were top notch.
Recent Visits:HIKennywoodCarowindsKDAdventureland (NY)NW PA/Western NYHersheypark
—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Top Rides: 1Skyrush(#72) 2Phoenix(#2) 3ElToro(#45) 4Fury325(#165) 5Phantom'sRevenge(#184) 6RavineFlyerII(#147) 7Tatsu(#14) 8Blue Streak(#112)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby cwgator » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:58 am

BotanicalStig wrote:Yesterday turned out to be a good day to go. Crowds were pretty light (due to the miserable weather) but like ejot mentioned Fury didn't open until after 7. We got there as soon as we could after seeing it run, but we were in line for about an hour before getting on. By the time we got on, the queue was full. It ran great last night, but the park was only running two trains. We never saw this last year, hopefully this doesn't become a habit.

Considering it was after 7PM when they were able to run the coaster and park attendance #s, they probably didn't feel the need to put 3 trains on for less than 3 hours of operation. There were some slow days last year where they only ran 2 trains.
CURRENT COASTER CREDIT COUNT: 80
A little behind...planning to catch-up soon...

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby cdcruizer05 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Visiting the park today... Intimidator back rows all shut down.... Seat belts not latching properly.

Afterburn was stuck on lift hill for about 30 mins or more.

Now time to ride fury.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby ejot » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:09 pm

Finally got around to getting some pictures off my phone. Here's a few from my visit last weekend.
IMG_2634.jpg
Saw this sexy couple as I was driving in.
IMG_2640.jpg
Since you've NEVER seen this view before..... My first order of business. Uh oh: Clear skies but not a soul around!
IMG_2642.jpg
Pleasantly surprised to see this, had no idea the event was going to be going on. Let's see what they had...
IMG_2643.jpg
In photography class, they told me never take photos looking into the sun. You're welcome.
IMG_2644.jpg
The sausage, fig, and goat cheese concoction was not pretty, but it was delicious, accompanied by a local cream ale. YUM!
IMG_2645.jpg
Shrimp and grits sounds fantastic, let's try that.
IMG_2646.jpg
Uhh, where's my grits? Four tokens for this? It tasted fine, but nothing spectacular.
IMG_2647.jpg
A spicy, peppery, fruity cheese ball? Let's do it!
IMG_2648.jpg
Okay, so more of a dip or spread. Another couple crackers would have been nice, but this was tasty.
IMG_2654.jpg
I could never make it past the first listing on the signs, they all sounded so good.
IMG_2655.jpg
The guy behind me was confused how you would eat this, thinking it was wrapped in plastic. Come to think of it ... what IS it wrapped in? Was delicious, as was the oatmeal stout.
IMG_2641.jpg
They had ice sculptures...
IMG_2656.jpg
... and ice sculptors. This poor guy was being heckled by an obnoxious drunken woman.
IMG_2657.jpg
Nighthawk was not running but had some nice curves to look at. It later opened but I missed my chance as it was soon down again for technical woes.
IMG_2662.jpg
Unsuccessfully trying to not look too disappointed.
IMG_2665.jpg
Intimidator has lovely lady humps. It was also down.
IMG_2672.jpg
Wait! What have I spotted? An empty train cresting one of the boobs! YESSSS!! Of course the entire park immediately descended upon her along with me.
IMG_2674.jpg
Until THIS happened! Woohooo, my Carowinds trip will be complete!!
IMG_2702.jpg
Intimidator looking great in the early evening. This was my first B&M with staggered seating; loved it.
IMG_2704.jpg
Coasters at sunset <3
IMG_2710.jpg
Fury's lighting package is so stunning.
IMG_2711.jpg
I actually rode Hurler four times o_O .... once against my will.... weird story.
IMG_2750.jpg
Goodbye Fury, you were a blast. I'll catch up with you again someday.
Recent Visits:HIKennywoodCarowindsKDAdventureland (NY)NW PA/Western NYHersheypark
—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Top Rides: 1Skyrush(#72) 2Phoenix(#2) 3ElToro(#45) 4Fury325(#165) 5Phantom'sRevenge(#184) 6RavineFlyerII(#147) 7Tatsu(#14) 8Blue Streak(#112)

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby pproteinc » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:56 am

I absolutely hate the Charleston region food. I lived in Charleston for almost 10yrs before moving to Charlotte and learned a lot about their cuisine from my family. That is NOT how shrimp and grits look . The shrimp is supposed to be sauteed with onions garlic and bell peppers in a gravy created from the dripping on the bottom of the pan then placed on top of butter grits. Smh i just get mad every time I see it

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby VF15 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:42 am

Just under a month left until I visit Carowinds :). Based on what I've read, it sounds like I should ride Nighthawk and Ricochet first due to low capacity, and ride Intimidator before Fury to avoid being disappointed. Am I right?

Any other tips?
Valleyfair Ride Operator
2016 - Wild Thing
2017 - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing
2018 - Steel Venom/Scrambler

Cedar Point Ride Operator
2019 - Cedar Creek Mine Ride

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby FSUFanChris » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:35 pm

VF15 wrote:Just under a month left until I visit Carowinds :). Based on what I've read, it sounds like I should ride Nighthawk and Ricochet first due to low capacity, and ride Intimidator before Fury to avoid being disappointed. Am I right?

Any other tips?

That sums it all up. Enjoy your visit.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Khat26 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:21 pm

VF15 wrote:Just under a month left until I visit Carowinds :). Based on what I've read, it sounds like I should ride Nighthawk and Ricochet first due to low capacity, and ride Intimidator before Fury to avoid being disappointed. Am I right?

Any other tips?

I'll be there the 19th and 20th of May. I might see you there.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:42 pm

Any other tips?

Yes, definitely hit Nighthawk first and Ricochet early. As far as Intimidator goes, I would probably do that before Fury too. I was there last Saturday and the line for Intimidator was much longer than Fury. ...much quicker dispatching on Fury. Also, I would rank Intimidator dead last as far as the B&M hypers goes, while Fury is right there with Goliath as my favorite non- inverting B&M.

Another tip, I would at least try and get one ride in the front left seat on Afterburn. ....Some of the best foot choppers on any coaster.
Now is the time, Now is the best time, Now is the best time of your life!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!