Photo TR: Lagoon & Salt Lake City

Erik & Smisty and Mormons, oh my!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Permanent Tourist

Photo TR: Lagoon & Salt Lake City

Postby Electerik » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Hello! Erik and Smisty here. You may not remember us from such trip reports as Lake Winnepesaukah & Rock City or Holiday World & Santa Claus, Indiana, because they were a long time ago.

Here's the deal. We love theme parks. But not just theme parks. So there will be some photos of roller coasters--but there will also be lots and lots of photos of not roller coasters. Sorry about that.
001 IMG_9113.JPG
We live in Las Vegas, so Utah isn't all that far away. Of course, Salt Lake City isn't exactly located in the part that's close to us.
002 Zion.jpg
Zion National Park is much closer. And awesome. I highly recommend it, if you like nature stuff. However, on this trip, we just drove by it.
003 P1200271.JPG
Our first stop, just south of Salt Lake City, was Draper--home of the only aquarium in Utah.

Well, actually, I'm lying. We stopped for gas and to pee and stuff a couple times prior to that. But this was the first stop that I'm going to share photos of with you.
003b P1200108.JPG
It's a relatively small aquarium, but quite nice.
004 P1200122.JPG
It has fish.
005 P1200160.JPG
The South American area was the highlight--and was also itself an aviary.
005b P1200126.JPG
What do you think, Smisty? Good, right?
006 IMG_9148.JPG
We like mini golf. This was the one we researched ahead of time. It also has a proper golf course, driving range, and putting greens. But who cares?
007 IMG_9150.JPG
There are two 18-hole courses that both culminate in your balls being mummified.

What?
008 IMG_9177.JPG
I like courses that have "rough" and "sand" areas.
009 IMG_9179.JPG
A nice course. We had fun. None of the water features were on yet, though. It's possible we should have waited a couple more weeks to make this trip. Spring hadn't really sprung in SLC yet.
010 IMG_9483.JPG
Leatherby's Ice Cream is a SLC institution, apparently. And it was good. We ended up going twice during our four day visit to the area.
011 IMG_9211.JPG
Saturday morning, we got up and walked across the street from our hotel.
012 P1200637.JPG
I will prepare myself mentally for not being entertained, thank you.
013b P1200625.JPG
Many parts of Lagoon are very pretty--I imagine even more so once things start to bloom.
013c P1200595.JPG
Lagoon has two old-school dark rides, and they're both extremely well-maintained.
015 P1200374e.jpg
I don't think I'd ever been on a ride called "Roller Coaster" before.
016 P1200349.JPG
Lagoon has some issues, however. I was not prepared for the weird mix of "laid back family park" and "corporate park rule enforcement" that exists here. For example: Glasses, no problem. But bags and hats must be placed in fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo prior to entering the queue. Okay, fine. However, fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo either cost 75-cents (and there were no change machines) or they were free for a limited time but didn't work. One helpful employee suggested that we could just wait until it started working.
017 IMG_9221.JPG
This ride was closed in the morning. As you can easily tell if you walk all the way through the queue and up to the platform.
018 P1200378.JPG
We did ride it later, and I quite liked it.
019 P1200332.JPG
Misty thought Wicked was dull.
020 P1200345.JPG
Lagoon has a very casual approach to opening their rides in the morning. Of the four coasters in this area of the park, two were running by 10:30am and two still weren't. Again, we did ride it eventually, and quite liked it. I didn't much like the lines I had to wait in later, but hey.
023 P1200359.JPG
I'd always wanted to visit a park with this sort of old school chairlift-over-gardens midway arrangement. Obviously, Lagoon has expanded quite a lot, but it still has that.

It also has a freakin' Rock-O-Plane!
024 P1200364.JPG
The Lagoon, I imagine.
028 P1200588.JPG
The back half of the park is largely made up of Pioneer Village, which was virtually abandoned for most of the day. But we thought it was great.
030 IMG_9301.JPG
The train goes around the lake and passed quite a few animal exhibits--most of which can't be viewed any other way. So the park doesn't really have a zoo section, so much as a zoo ride.
031 P1200474.JPG
Lots of walk-through buildings detailing frontier life. Quite well done, but of course the kids weren't interested in this area. And, believe me, there were a lot of kids in the park. In fact, there are a lot of kids in SLC, period. Like, 3 or 4 for every 2 adults. Is it time to talk about the Mormon thing, yet? No? Okay.
032 P1200545.JPG
This is my "no, I don't like trains particularly" stance. Which I have chosen to adopt in the train museum.
034 P1200482.JPG
Pioneer Village also contains the park's two water rides, which were running. However, it was still a bit cold.
035 P1200493.JPG
Also note in the previous photo (I know, I'm bad at this) that while the park seems to be strictly pay-one-price, and is entirely fenced in, the ride signs (even Cannibal) all list a cost in tickets. Also, you get your hand stamped when entering the park, and are asked to show that stamp at every single ride. I still can't figure it out. We asked several employees why they checked hand stamps, when you clearly had to buy full admission for park entry, but no one seemed to understand the question. Eventually, we gave up. Certainly, there are no individual tickets listed for sale anywhere. It's just weird.
037 P1200512.JPG
This is a photo of every single person on the ride at the time this photo was taken.
038 P1200593.JPG
Many parts of Lagoon are pretty, but some parts are just sort of "ghetto theme park." This area is both.
039 P1200594.JPG
They have Dole Whip. Also (and not pictured) a full-blown rip off of IOA's "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" ride, complete with imitation song. Not that I disapprove, mind you.
040 P1200600.JPG
I like the mushroom.

That's not a drug reference.
042 P1200451.JPG
The tea cup ride had a very cool chandelier feature.
043 P1200454.JPG
Except for Pioneer Village, Lagoon doesn't really have individually themed areas. So sometime they just theme a ride to whatever they want and put it wherever, which is cool.
044 P1200438.jpg
At the ticketing windows up front, they listed one ride down for the day. It was not this ride, or any of the other rides that bore this sign. I didn't count, and I obviously would have gone into the park anyway. Still, it seems like bad form.

And, yes, this is a generic sign that blames Europe for their problems.
045 P1200425.JPG
Me trying to be artsy.
047 P1200610.JPG
Cannibal opened last year, and has sort of a vaguely African theme. They could have called it anything, but they chose Cannibal. Which is, like Lagoon itself, both bafflingly stupid and incredibly awesome at the same time.
048 P1200616.JPG
This weird and elaborate set-up was, I think, designed to make people exit through the gift shop (though you could still go around that, so who knows?) Also, there were fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, but they had all been disabled. Instead, four employees manned an elaborate station where guests placed their loose articles in plastic containers and were given a claim ticket for it. Even Cedar Point (literally, the most paranoid park I can think of) can sort out bins in (most of) their coaster stations.
049 P1200621.JPG
Like Lagoon itself...what?
050 P1200676.JPG
I'm not a huge fan of being held upside-down by a single restraint, which, were it to fail, would most certainly result in my unavoidable death. However, this ride is pretty great. The deliberate hang-time section just after the block brake is my least favorite part of it, but still. Also worth mentioning that this ride was designed and built largely in-house. What small parks do that anymore?!

Ultimately, we enjoyed our visit to Lagoon. It's a good park, and well worth a visit if you're nearby. However, I didn't love the park, and I really wanted to. It has so much going for it, but it's just kind of...not quite amazing.
053 IMG_9317.JPG
For dinner, we went in search of a place in Farmington called Cherry Hill Pie Pantry, because that sounds amazing. However, despite its hours indicating that it should be open, it was closed. However, however, surprise mini golf!

This, however, is a photo of a (dry) water slide. The whole place is an RV campground complex, or something...?
054 IMG_9345.JPG
This mini gold course didn't even come up in searches when I was standing on it. One 18-hole course, but pretty good.
055 IMG_9328.JPG
Inside the castle.
056 IMG_9339.JPG
An enclosed loop-de-loop.
056 IMG_9354.JPG
Great signage. Fun course. No pie.
057 P1200679.JPG
The original plan was to spend both Saturday and Sunday at Lagoon, but we'd pretty much done everything we wanted to by the end of Saturday, and we weren't as in love with the park as we'd hoped to be, so we opted to do other stuff on Sunday, instead.

Misty is kind of a zoo enthusiast. I think this is our ninth proper zoo now? Like the aquarium, it wasn't particularly large, but it was quite good.
058 P1200685.JPG
Hogle Zoo doesn't mess around. When you walk in, you're not greeted by flamingos or alligators or something. No, this place is like, blam, giraffes! Zebras! Now Lions! Elephants! Go, go, go!
059 P1200693.JPG
Pretty much every zoo we've been to has had some really nice new sections, and some old crappy concrete sections. Not this one. Pretty much everything felt new and up-to-date. So much so that I actually looked it up to see when this zoo first opened.

Best. Zoo. Ever.
060 P1200873.JPG
Don't eat too much, Smisty! You don't want to gain weight!
060b P1200804.JPG
See? I told you!
061 P1200732.JPG
The name of that restaurant was The Beastro, by the way. Man, I am so bad at this.
062 IMG_9367.JPG
Huffalumps.
064 P1200773.JPG
No indication that it would, but this did open later. And what a weird collection of animals on it. A praying mantis? Two snakes on a log?
065 P1200825.JPG
Sea lion.

I'm just trying to generate responses, man.
066 P1200852.JPG
Grizzly bear.
068 P1200945.JPG
Not a photo from the aquarium that I accidentally put in the wrong place.

Actually, the "small animal house" was the one thing at the Hogle Zoo that felt a bit dated.
069 P1210020.JPG
Still, a great zoo.
070 P1200897.JPG
The train had two sections. First it goes around the Savannah area, then it goes off on a weird "Rivers of America" type thing. Well worth the $2 upcharge to ride it, though.
071 P1210040.JPG
Zoo was good. How about a garden?
072 P1210044.JPG
They were having a special orchid show. All I know about orchids is that Hugo Drax must be stopped. But it won't be easy.
073 P1210052.JPG
Again, this place was really nice. But it'll probably be freaking amazing once SLC decides to join the rest of us here in Springtime.
074 P1210078.JPG
The map makes it look more intimidating than it really is.
075 P1210120.JPG
Sometimes I take okay photos.
076 P1210087.JPG
This one is for all you camouflage enthusiasts out there.

If that comment confused you, look closer. There's actually a woman in this photo!
077 P1210153.JPG
Red Butte Gardens
078 P1210165.JPG
And right next door, Utah's Natural History Museum, why not?
079 P1210167.JPG
I was a little disappointed. I was hoping for some creationist stuff. The joke's on me, though, as a bit of post-visit research reveals that the Church of Latter-day Saints has no official position on evolution.
081 IMG_9386.JPG
Utah is actually quite famous for dinosaur fossils.

That's not a joke.
082 P1210222.JPG
I'm all for Native American stuff. But is it really, "Natural History"?

It is? Okay.
083 P1210235.JPG
Nice view of the city from here. This is as good a place to mention that Salt Lakers are a bit stand-offish. Not rude, exactly. But not friendly, either. Or, at least, they tend not to engage first.
085 P1210257.JPG
Eh, it's a museum.
086 IMG_3781.JPG
I'd wanted to check out a place called Chedda Burger for dinner. But, like so much of Salt Lake City, it's closed on Sundays. Luckilly, Lucky 13 was not. probably because it's pretty much a bar. But whatever, the burgers were amazing.
087 IMG_9415.JPG
Our home away from the hotel in Farmington quickly became Harmons Grocery Store. It has two stories and a gourmet salt section...?
088 IMG_9458.JPG
Monday was our last full day in Utah, and we wanted to see the Great Salt Lake. I guess I'd just assumed it would be a presence in Salt Lake City, but not really.
089 P1210380.JPG
Anyway, this is Antelope Island, accessible from the mainland via causeway.
090 P1210372.JPG
At one point, many of the LDS church leaders kept their animals on this island.
093 P1210296.JPG
Bison are doing quite well here. Some have even started to learn the art of camouflage.
094 P1210419.JPG
Demonstration ranch. Proceeds from which once went to the Perpetual Emigration Fund, which helped pay the way for new Mormon coverts to move to Utah.

I learned a lot about Mormons on my trip to Salt Lake City.
095 P1210434.JPG
F-off, all you unimportant birds!
096 IMG_9440.JPG
Unimportant bugs who tried to get into our car the hard way.
098 P1210498.JPG
Downtown Salt Lake City is amazing. Of all the downtown areas I've been to, this one seems the most vital and of-a-piece with its city.

What's not amazing, though, are the street names here. See, they don't really have them. And when they do, they're not actually real. (No, seriously, most actual street names here are honorary, and cannot by law appear on maps.) Instead streets are numbered in the style of longitude and latitude. Which might be pretty cool if you lived here and had mastered it, but ain't no damn good if you're a tourist.

"Misty, where do I turn?"

"Um...East 11600 South."

"Excuse me?"

"It should be here."

"The signs says, 'Stevens.'"
101 P1210488.JPG
Right across from the true center of town--we'll get to that in a minute--is a giants indoor/outdoor shopping mall with underground parking called City Creek Center.
103 P1210497.JPG
Farr's is the other big deal local ice cream brand here. It was good, but Leatherby's was better.
105 P1210503.JPG
We weren't originally going to visit Temple Square or any of the "Mormon stuff." But, it quickly became apparent that so much of the character of Salt Lake City comes from that, that to skip over it would almost be not to see the city.
108 P1210527.jpg
So, I'm just going to lay it out here. We're atheists. So I think all religion is misguided foolishness, at best. Having said that, the Mormons aren't MORE crazy than anyone else. If anything, in my view, a lot of their beliefs make perfect sense--if you already believe the basics of Christianity.

So, there you go, Mormons. Some faint praise from an atheist. Enjoy.
109 P1210514.JPG
Temple Square is the most visited tourist attraction in Utah, with more annual visitors than all of their many national parks combined.
110 P1210534.JPG
There are two separate visitor centers, the tabernacle, some administration buildings, a couple of restaurants, lots of gardens, statues, and fountains, and of course the Temple itself.
110b P1210562.JPG
There are also plenty of missionaries stalking the grounds, eager to proselytize unwary visitors. But, hey, you came to them--so you can't really complain, now can you?
111 P1210541.JPG
So, under fundamentalist Mormonism (and not currently endorsed by the modern Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), Adam and God are actually the same person...?
115 P1210559.JPG
In a nutshell, Mormons believe in the regular Christian bible, plus some extra stuff that came from their founder, Joseph Smith (or I guess, from God to Joseph Smith, if you're of a mind). For the most part, this "extra stuff" isn't particularly incompatible or even really all the different from the normal Christian stuff in terms of what it asks of its followers. Where it's a bit out there is in that it states that a tribe of Jews came to the Americas before Christ's birth, and that Christ appeared before them shortly after his resurrection.

See? Trip reports can be educational.

Unless you're a Mormon, in which case it's likely that all you've learned is that I'm going to Hell.

Psych! Mormons don't believe in Hell!

Okay, I'll stop.
116 P1210569.JPG
This is the Assembly Hall. Looks like a church to me. A pretty one, too. Misty says this one is better looking than the Temple.
117 P1210584.JPG
A model of the inside, since tourists are (not unreasonably) not allowed in the Temple. It's hard to see in this photo, but my favorite bit is the oxen.
118 P1210587.JPG
This is the angel Moroni, which no one had heard of before Joseph Smith started talking about him.

(What? That's pretty neutral!)
119 P1210603.JPG
This is where God is buried.

Okay, that was wrong of me. I actually don't have any idea what it is, but I like the photo.
120 P1210621.JPG
The Lion House is a restaurant. But it was once the home of Brigham Young, the second president of the church, the guy who led the Mormons to Utah, and the one who started the whole polygamy thing. Essentially, "Fundamentalist Mormons" still follow the policies and teachings of Brigham Young, while the modern church has moved away from (or, in some cases, rejected) them.
121 IMG_9474.JPG
One last shot of Salt Lake Temple. I'm glad we ended up visiting Temple Square--not so much because I wanted to make fun, but because it's legitimately interesting (to me) and quite pretty.
122 IMG_9488.PNG
Thank for reading about our trip to Salt Lake City, and I apologize to anyone that Misty may have offended!

Site Admin

Re: Photo TR: Lagoon & Salt Lake City

Postby robbalvey » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:53 pm

What a triumphant return!!!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Great to see you guys back here again ! And I love your critique on all the mormon stuff. Too fun.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:06 pm

Awesome trip report, and great photos! Glad you all had a good time!

I too do not understand Lagoon. . . Everything about the park is so... strange.
Bigger is not always better.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:20 pm

Amazing episodic travelogue!

Some really nice out-of-park photos, there.

Thanks for sharing your visit to Lagoon. :smile:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby urzishra » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:43 pm

I've gone to Lagoon many many times since I live here. I pretty much agree with everything you said about it. It has some really inconsistent policies.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:02 pm

Excellent trip report!

Did Spider get repainted this season? When I visited last June (2015), I am 99.9% sure it was still the faded red and purple but I could have just not paid attention.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Mr. October

Postby JimmyBo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:15 pm

Awesome Report! You nailed the craziness of Lagoon and Salt Lake City to a T. I went there awhile back but I definitely remember the "nice park... ghetto park... nice theming... slap a ride where there used to be a parking lot" atmosphere for Lagoon. I'm really bummed I missed out on Leatherby's. That might be a reason to head back to SLC.....might.

Jimmy "I still remember blasting my Godsmack CD in my rental car around downtown" Bo
Do not believe this post!

90% of the time, I am sarcastic all the time...it's science!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:16 am

Wonderful TR on so many levels!

- Totally agree with you on all of your Lagoon opinions. I had heard such wonderful things, calling it the Knoebels of the West Coast, but it was very odd. Not bad, just odd.

- Yay Atheism. Also you forgot the nice thing about Mormonism is that they're really freakin nice!

- The 'grid' system of downtown is hilarious. So many numbers, directions, and names.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:36 am

Damn, I've missed these reports. Excellent photos and the captions made my day. I've never been to SLC or much of the west coast, but I now have endless things to do if I do go! Thanks for taking the time to tell your story, Erik and Smisty
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!