TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$

When I got the email about this message, I was thinking that it was a Guy Koepp post. Speaking of which, Screamscape has posted the tunnel rumors about Valravn's second inversion. Though they forgot to mention that the tunnel would be filled with fog and strippers.

You can't deny that CP has the best location in the country as far as I am concerned for views/sunsets. Magical moments when riding Raptor late evening and taking a look down the midway at sunset against all the other steel in the sky. It's crazy.

Excited as hell for Valravn... Huge fan of B&M dive coasters.

Cedar Point to add a sports complex near the park in 2017!

http://www.freep.com/story/travel/2016/04/05/cedar-point-sports-park-complex/82646518/

Cedar Point adding sports park complex

Anne Erickson, Lansing State Journal 9:16 a.m. EDT April 5, 2016

Cedar Point is about to get sporty. The Sandusky, Ohio-based amusement park will begin construction on its new Cedar Point Sports Center this Friday.

Phase one of the development project, located on outside the park on Cleveland Road in Sandusky, will include an outdoor sporting facility called Sports Force Parks bringing together nine multi-purpose, synthetic turf fields, four NCAA regulation baseball fields, a championship baseball and softball stadium, eight NCAA regulation soccer and lacrosse fields, sport-specific training areas and an ADA-accessible community-use field.

The Cedar Point Sports Center, managed by Sports Force Parks, will also offer a “great lawn” and promenade with miniature golf, a ropes adventure course, a bungee trampoline challenge, a playground and food and beverages.

“Sports Force Parks at Cedar Point Sports Center will be a world-class destination for sports-focused families," said Jim Arnold, director of Business Development for The Sports Force & Fields, Inc., in a news release. "Our mission to combine sports, family and fun will bring young athletes and their families from across the country and provide them with the opportunity to combine a sports tournament with a family vacation.”

Phase two of the project’s development will include adding bike trails along the waterfront along with spots to take in the views of Lake Erie and Cedar Point.

Construction on Sports Force Parks at Cedar Point Sports Center will begin at a groundbreaking ceremony at 2 p.m. Friday.

The park expects construction to be complete in the fall of 2016 with the Sports Center opening in the spring of 2017.

image.jpeg.d21bd6eec04f7f241a1379491c77fd38.jpeg

Edited by larrygator

Well. I didn't see that coming.

I am definetely not in the target audience for this, but I'm sure that the people who enjoy this type of stuff will love it. That said, I can't seem to figure out why they would need 11 baseball fields.

Edited by GCI Wooden

I am definetely not in the target audience for this, but I'm sure that the people who enjoy this type of stuff will love it. That said, I can't seem to figure out why they would need 11 baseball fields.

Travel baseball tournaments are huge. Here in Columbus we have a complex with almost 40 fields and they almost have every field taken for big tournaments(softball and baseball). Eleven fields is not that much.

Magical moments when riding Raptor late evening and taking a look down the midway at sunset against all the other steel in the sky. It's crazy.\

Man Card: REVOKED

That said, I can't seem to figure out why they would need 11 baseball fields.

"If you build it they will come."

Magical moments when riding Raptor late evening and taking a look down the midway at sunset against all the other steel in the sky. It's crazy.\

Man Card: REVOKED

That said, I can't seem to figure out why they would need 11 baseball fields.

"If you build it they will come."

+1!

By "they," do you mean strippers?

I wonder if they will use that area behind Valravn as a service road/entry for trucks into the park.

The circled area would be where the gates could go. The wall circled in blue looks like it's built for a gate already.

1861604368_2016-04-0519_27_26.thumb.png.81effb7385e48e8d588c53fe05045ffe.png

Travel baseball tournaments are huge. Here in Columbus we have a complex with almost 40 fields and they almost have every field taken for big tournaments(softball and baseball). Eleven fields is not that much.

Wow! I had no idea that these things were so big. I suppose that it is brilliant to have one of these sports complexes. There must be tons of people coming to see these things, and seeing the park while seeing the game must be really tempting.

The Berliner Complex (if that's the one you are talking about) is huge. I have played in many competitive softball tournaments with upwards of 40 teams.

The reason you need that many fields is to keep all the teams in one complex close together to simplify logistics for the organizers and minimize travel time. Nothing worse than playing a triple header in the morning and then having to drive 25 minutes during your lunch break to a different set of diamonds for the afternoon games.

I think this is a great business move.

This has actually been in the works for awhile (this is going on the old site of the Griffing Sandusky Airport). It was discussed here umpteenth pages back after numerous articles about it and then it was finally stated that it was going to happen during last summers Cedar Fair Conference Call. Sports Force operates it and its on Cedar Point owned land (they purchased the airport land following the closing of the airport).

With that said, this is a great move for the park, especially with the second phase coming in (finally Mini-Golf back at the resort ;p ). Not only does this attract sports to the area, but it will also mean more hotel rooms being booked at Cedar Point properties (as part of a package for the teams and tournaments). This will be really great for business (and not just for Cedar Point either, but for Erie County as a whole).

I would imagine that the decision to invest in this way was not just made lightly, so good for Cedar Fair diversifying a bit. I'm always happy to see new investments in Ohio! I hope they have a shuttle service

Maybe if there is enough room on the complex, add a "sport resort" or something along the lines.

Just thinking of this now, Matt Ouimet worked for Disney before he came over to CF, wonder if the ESPN World Wide of Sports had anything to do with this. Maybe he saw at how much Disney benefits(making money) from having tournaments like the cheering comp every year and wants to see how it would be up at America's Roller Coast.

The Berliner Complex (if that's the one you are talking about) is huge. I have played in many competitive softball tournaments with upwards of 40 teams.

The reason you need that many fields is to keep all the teams in one complex close together to simplify logistics for the organizers and minimize travel time. Nothing worse than playing a triple header in the morning and then having to drive 25 minutes during your lunch break to a different set of diamonds for the afternoon games.

I think this is a great business move.

Yes Larry, Berliner! I live a few minutes from it and still play a couple nights a week there in the summer. It has always been big on adult leagues but little league girls and boys tournaments have kinda taken over. On certain weekends that place is packed.