TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

The coaster looks great along the lake, I know a lot of people aren't happy with this addition but I really think it adds variety to an already great collection.

I just don't understand how people aren't excited about any new coaster being added, let alone one that's rare at this point. Only one has been built so far, just confused here

I prefer my coasters to turn left or right at some point.

If the Coaster Gods had a sense of humor, they'd smite you with a Wild Mouse next.

The coaster looks great along the lake, I know a lot of people aren't happy with this addition but I really think it adds variety to an already great collection.

I just don't understand how people aren't excited about any new coaster being added, let alone one that's rare at this point. Only one has been built so far, just confused here

If the Coaster Gods had a sense of humor, they'd smite you with a Wild Mouse next.

Might be funny if we didn't already have one.

Yeah more like a Toboggan coaster.

Might be funny if we didn't already have one.

When has a silly little detail like that ever stopped Six Flags?

I am excited a new coaster is being built simply to take the heat off the rides I love at the park. In general I think its an ugly ride and a wasted opportunity to put something spectacular on the lakefront. That doesn't mean the ride won't be a hit and the GP will most definitely eat this thing up. Also I haven't ridden the SFFT installation so I have no opinion of the ride experience but it *looks* like puke machine to me. I might be wrong, and I will definitely try it once, and maybe I'll love it. Never judge a ride til you ride it.

Ditto my friend! Call it what it is- a carnival ride!

I am excited a new coaster is being built simply to take the heat off the rides I love at the park. In general I think its an ugly ride and a wasted opportunity to put something spectacular on the lakefront. That doesn't mean the ride won't be a hit and the GP will most definitely eat this thing up. Also I haven't ridden the SFFT installation so I have no opinion of the ride experience but it *looks* like puke machine to me. I might be wrong, and I will definitely try it once, and maybe I'll love it. Never judge a ride til you ride it.

Ditto my friend! Call it what it is- a carnival ride!

The coaster vs. carnival ride jokes were absolutely warranted w/ the parks marketing of El Diablo, but The Joker is a coaster. How is it not? Because it flips? If we go by that theory a spinning mouse is not a coaster because it spins? Come on.

These freespins are pulled up a lift and coast the rest of the way. Maybe not a roller coaster in the traditional sense but as much as it's not what I wanted, and I think its ugly, it is a coaster, it is next level, it is highly marketable, and it is going to be a smash.

And honestly, El Diablo is a carnival ride that looks great in the parks Plaza Del Carnival section, so can we just get over it already?

Heat seeking missiles should be deployed any time someone tries to continue the "carnival ride" argument on this site.

Either that or we should collectively pay a homeless man to piss in said person''s morning cereal.

Heat seeking missiles should be deployed any time someone tries to continue the "carnival ride" argument on this site.

Either that or we should collectively pay a homeless man to piss in said person''s morning cereal.

Fail

I still have not ridden El Diablo. One day I will. The funny thing is when I was a kid I rode Morey's 'Ring of Fire' right before it was removed and as a kid, I always wanted it to come back. You'd think that would've had me thrilled when GAdv announced that's what we were getting, but how can you be excited about a super loop next to El Freaking Toro?

One day when Toro has an hour+ wait and Diablo is 5 minutes is the day I'll ride.

El Diablo is a whole lot of fun for what it is. I hated the addition and certainly railed against the park for calling it a coaster. But after riding it, I shut my mouth. It serves a dual purpose: another much needed flat in the park, and something to do for the little thrill seekers who are either too small or too leery to ride the big stuff.

You know why El Diablo makes me mad? Because it's a perfectly good flat ride that could easily be 20+ years old, when there are plenty of other decent flat rides that are no longer at SFGAdv that actually WOULD be 20+ years old. It's like you amputate my entire leg then give me my thigh back and tell me I should be grateful.

Step in the right direction maybe, but a step in an even better direction would be a modern, cutting-edge flat ride to replace what was lost.

Spot on

This brings to light one thing that I don't get about Six Flags.

Cedar Fair understands that the best way to make people happy is to under promise and over deliver. For example, last year Cedar Point had a passholder preview night. They released a list of rides that would be open. Half way through the night they got Dragster going which wasn't supposed to open and opened it up and tweeted that Dragster was open which everyone got really excited about. Sky Ride wasn't supposed to be open but it wasn't windy but they opened that up too! These are the kind of things you should do. Not realize you're going to be understaffed and let everyone know last minute that "Opening Day presented by Allegra" is now "Preview Day presented by Allegra" with limited ride availability.

They do the same thing with their hours. They say they're open until Midnight but then close lines early. At Cedar Fair parks when they're really busy they sometimes extend hours (usually during haunt events) and at Cedar Point they give you a grace period at all major rides and close the lines after park closing. Under promise and over deliver. That way everyone's happy.

I'm not here to tell anyone how to run their business but I wish they'd adopt that idea. I would think guests would be much happier to embrace it.

I saw some new wood around El Toro today. From what I could tell, I did not see any in the turnaround but I saw some in between the second and third hill as well as on the pullout of the crossover hill entering the twister section. There may be more however as I wasn't looking around the entire ride for new track.

Also the A train's new paint absolutely looks fantastic. It hasn't been properly painted in years.

Spot on

This brings to light one thing that I don't get about Six Flags.

Cedar Fair understands that the best way to make people happy is to under promise and over deliver. For example, last year Cedar Point had a passholder preview night. They released a list of rides that would be open. Half way through the night they got Dragster going which wasn't supposed to open and opened it up and tweeted that Dragster was open which everyone got really excited about. Sky Ride wasn't supposed to be open but it wasn't windy but they opened that up too! These are the kind of things you should do. Not realize you're going to be understaffed and let everyone know last minute that "Opening Day presented by Allegra" is now "Preview Day presented by Allegra" with limited ride availability.

They do the same thing with their hours. They say they're open until Midnight but then close lines early. At Cedar Fair parks when they're really busy they sometimes extend hours (usually during haunt events) and at Cedar Point they give you a grace period at all major rides and close the lines after park closing. Under promise and over deliver. That way everyone's happy.

I'm not here to tell anyone how to run their business but I wish they'd adopt that idea. I would think guests would be much happier to embrace it.

Actually, the best method is to promise a high quality product and deliver a high quality product. Neither Cedar Fair nor Six Flags have mastered that yet. You never know what you will get with either company, since both have their moments of being cheap/poor operations, which is the real root cause...I've had good and awful days with both chains.

There's a shaky Livestream going on now in the park if anyone wanted to watch the Blair Witch Project, Great Adventure Edition.

All screengrabs are of course courtesy of that Livestream that I linked to.

Also a few things to note

- Apparently Nitro's supports and Batman got some paint during the offseason.

- Nitro is testing today with 2 trains and 1 in pieces. I would assume it will open with 2 to start the season... fine by me. That may happen with Holiday in the Park coasters and if so I have no complaints.

- Blackbeard won't open with the park (who cares?)

nitrah.thumb.jpg.ac5e32d547dc96d5aae32925a8ae6830.jpg

Really hard to tell here. Also the ride's testing which is always exciting to see. The ridiculously short off season is just about over.

Untitled.jpg.b23e62e421d408e463a629a4590c5f8e.jpg

Why so serious?

1012802_1301256583223757_8164674581722606500_n.jpg.2b4512d94192930b7f55bfe7ae9a651b.jpg

Joker Progress

1917027_1301256436557105_1412329866061858862_n.jpg.df7bfb866515d4ea0be6bcfa406dd430.jpg

Another angle

Untitled.jpg.c63dc2c5feae92ee8831b21338308195.jpg

Sorry for the quality but the view has really opened up from the Joker queue area. Great open sight lines of the Skyway and some other crap.