TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

For whatever reason I don't see this on their website, does anyone know the hours for Season Pass preview day?

Preview day hours are 10 am - 6 pm. The hours are posted on the BGW Pass Member page and not on the regular calendar.

https://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg/passmembers?from=Top_Nav

Also, are pass processing lines generally manageable that day?

The lines for pass processing can get pretty bad since this seems to be a popular day for people to go, especially if the weather is nice. The park should have all the ticket counters and kiosks open but even with that you may have to wait a while. My advice is to get there super early to beat the rush.

I'm 6' 4" and 250 lbs. and I can manage just fine in the normal seats on Alpie/Griffon and can get on AC. I know I'm 4 inches taller than your friend which might edge him into "big boy" seats as mentioned above, but he might just get into the normal seats! I actually have a little room to go for Griffon/Alpie without it being an issue. That said, thighs are the issue on AC, so if his legs are larger, he might be SOL there since that's a "you fit or you don't" coaster

Just use the demo seats at the entrance to the rides to be sure. If the belt clicks, he fits! On AC if the harness on the demo locks, he's good to go. LNM, Verbolten, and Tempesto won't be an issue at all.

For non coasters, the only rides in the park that MIGHT be an issue are Mach Tower and Wave Swinger. Again though, he is almost certain fine for those (and neither of those is going to ruin your trip if he can't. Mach Tower may well not even be running when you're there, and if it is, it's not really the best drop tower out there other than a killer view).

Thank you, I really appreciate your response. I'm shocked as I thought Verbolten would be the tightest fit since the car themed trains look so small in the pics. I imagined the lap bar would be really tight.

I'm 6' 4" and 250 lbs. and I can manage just fine in the normal seats on Alpie/Griffon and can get on AC. I know I'm 4 inches taller than your friend which might edge him into "big boy" seats as mentioned above, but he might just get into the normal seats! I actually have a little room to go for Griffon/Alpie without it being an issue. That said, thighs are the issue on AC, so if his legs are larger, he might be SOL there since that's a "you fit or you don't" coaster

Just use the demo seats at the entrance to the rides to be sure. If the belt clicks, he fits! On AC if the harness on the demo locks, he's good to go. LNM, Verbolten, and Tempesto won't be an issue at all.

For non coasters, the only rides in the park that MIGHT be an issue are Mach Tower and Wave Swinger. Again though, he is almost certain fine for those (and neither of those is going to ruin your trip if he can't. Mach Tower may well not even be running when you're there, and if it is, it's not really the best drop tower out there other than a killer view).

Thank you, I really appreciate your response. I'm shocked as I thought Verbolten would be the tightest fit since the car themed trains look so small in the pics. I imagined the lap bar would be really tight.

I had no issue at all, with a big gut (now gone), on Verbolten. No issue on Apollo or LNM either.

and Griffon has "big boy" seats in all 3 rows. .so you can pick and choose which one you want. Alpengeist tho, the one "big boy" seat is in row 5. .and gave me a very rough ride.

I think the park has been intentionally designing their newer rides to be a bit more accommodating to larger guests. While getting into the Tempesto seats is a chore for anyone, they're surprisingly roomy once you're in there. Same with Verbolten. I was really shocked how much room those seats have. They're a bit wider than traditional seats on older coasters. While it's not the greatest fact in the world, there are simply more people of a larger size than there used to be, and I get the vibe BGW is trying to accommodate them as best they can without making it unsafe for anyone. At certain point, too big is too big, but they're doing their best to make that happen as infrequently as possible.

I think the park has been intentionally designing their newer rides to be a bit more accommodating to larger guests. While getting into the Tempesto seats is a chore for anyone, they're surprisingly roomy once you're in there. Same with Verbolten. I was really shocked how much room those seats have. They're a bit wider than traditional seats on older coasters. While it's not the greatest fact in the world, there are simply more people of a larger size than there used to be, and I get the vibe BGW is trying to accommodate them as best they can without making it unsafe for anyone. At certain point, too big is too big, but they're doing their best to make that happen as infrequently as possible.

That's great! Thanks guys!! I was so stressed about this but now I'm getting excited.

Hey everyone, I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I just bought my ticket for BGW, and I thought I would share (What I thought is a good deal) that they have going on right now.

It's the "Busch Gardens Williamsburg Spring All-Inclusive Ticket"

It includes:

Spring All-Inclusive Ticket includes:

Busch Gardens Williamsburg Single-Day Ticket

General Parking for one vehicle

Lunch includes (1) entrée and (1) regular non-alcoholic beverage before 4 p.m.

Dinner includes (1) entrée and (1) regular non-alcoholic beverage after 4 p.m.

Quick Queue offers front of the line access to Alpengeist®, Griffon®, Apollo's Chariot®, Verbolten®, Curse of DarKastle, Escape From Pompeii®, Europe in the Air, Roman Rapids® and Le Scoot®; PLUS one bonus ride for the Quick Queue ride of your choice.

The cost is $99 per ticket. Which sounds expensive, but a regular day ticket is $77 and parking is $15 . . . So it's only $7 more expensive for the "All-Inclusive" ticket but you also get 2 meals, and Quick Que. The only catch is the ticket must be used between March 20 and May 15.

Source

Anywho, just thought I would share that with you all in case anyone is looking at taking a trip during those times!

Can't wait for my first visit to the park next month!!

BGE is also offering free "bring-a-friend" tickets again this year for pass holders. I think this program has been offered in years past, I only become aware of it (and took advantage of it) last year during HallowScream.

12769518_10154021735614571_349749033_n.thumb.jpg.0d8873825f67359fc71b64abb887a794.jpg

^Thunderstorms are a fact of life here during the summer, so I don't think it much matters which of those days you choose; any of them should be pretty hot and humid.

Anyone happen to know the park's policies on camera Tripods? I see on their site about GoPro's and such but nothing about tripods.

Thanks in advance

As in bringing a tripod on a coaster? Not gonna happen.

If however, I misinterpreted your post, then they absolutely allow tripods in the park for videography and photography. I assume you should be fine so long as you aren't disrupting foot traffic and other park guests. Happy camera-ing!

I might have the opportunity to revisit Busch Gardens Williamsburg. My schedule will be limited but it looks like I have a choice between June 26, July 1, or 2; or August 28, September 2, or 3. Could any locals tell me which time period would tend to have smaller crowds and more dryer weather? Thanks.

A lot of schools start back the last two weeks of August, so August 28, September 2 or 3, may be less crowded. Saturdays are generally the busiest at BGW, and the park occasionally has to deny entry for a couple of hours on summer Saturdays due to the crowds in the park.

I don't imagine there will be a huge crowd there on a Monday, even during spring break. As for the weather, March is tricky. It should be nice (probably highs in the 60s or low 70s), but it can get chilly and windy (we even had snow during Passholder Preview Day a few years ago).

Just keep checking weather.com.

Can anyone tell me what kind of crowds to expect Monday March 21st? And what type of weather conditions to expect?

As Chuck said, the weather can vary @ BGW in March. It can be sunny and 80 one day, rainy and 45 the next. Reminds me of a couple of years ago when I was working on a project in Newport New and decided to hop over to BGW in the late afternoon. Mother Nature was dishing out a rainy misty windy 50 degree day, but it was starting to clear when I arrived at the park at 4:00pm. It was nearly deserted, and a lot of people were leaving the park. Turns out BGW management had decided to close at 5:00pm instead of 8:00pm due to weather and low attendance. I hauled butt and got a couple rides on Griffon, Alpinegeist, and Apollo's Chariot before the park closed. It was kind of dreamlike in that I almost had the park to myself for that one hour and was the lone rider on Griffon and Alpie!

Definitely check Weather.com and BGW's facebook page and twitter for announcements about closures or delayed openings if the weather is ugly!