Knott's Ghost Town 75th Anniversary Construction Tour

See the progress on Ghost Town and the Ghostrider refurb!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Gelato isn't vegan?"

Knott's Ghost Town 75th Anniversary Construction Tour

Postby ILoveRides » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:41 am

Knott’s Berry Farm is celebrating the 75th anniversary of Ghost Town this year, and to commemorate the occasion they’re refurbishing the area and adding several new experiences. Knott’s invited us to take a construction tour to see the current progress, so check out our report below to see everything that’s in store for Ghost Town’s big anniversary!
001.JPG
We’re at Knott’s to see all the progress being made for Ghost Town’s 75th anniversary celebration!
002.JPG
First up, there was a brief presentation to let us know everything that’s coming soon to Knott’s. Starbucks is opening March 18!
003.JPG
The Boysenberry Festival is returning March 19 through April 3! We’ll be back at Knott’s in a couple weeks for a closer look at what’s in store for this year’s festival, so keep your eyes peeled for that report!
004.JPG
Knott’s Chicken Dinner Restaurant is currently undergoing a complete refurbishment, and is scheduled to re-open Spring 2016.
005.JPG
The Ghost Town 75th Anniversary celebration will run May 27 - September 5.
006.JPG
The centerpiece of the anniversary celebration, Ghost Town Alive!, will run May 27 - September 5 as well.
007.JPG
And we were happy to learn that Ghostrider will complete its full refurbishment on May 27 as well!
008.JPG
Time to check out all the progress around Ghost Town! Special thanks to the crew at Knott’s - Russ Knibbs, Jeff Gahagan, Lara Hanneman, and Jeff Shadic - who gave the construction tour and answered all our questions!
009.JPG
First up we took a peek at the Wagon Camp.
010.JPG
If you look on the left, you’ll notice the stage is being completely re-built from the ground up.
011.JPG
There will be a new stunt-filled show here for the 75th!
012.JPG
Ghost Town is getting spruced up with new paint and additions.
019.JPG
The centerpiece of the 75th anniversary celebration is Ghost Town Alive! The whole town will be populated with characters who guests can interact with. You’ll now get to enter the peek-ins (rather than just peeking in at mannequins) and interact with the residents of the town! This should be a ton of fun!
020.JPG
We can’t wait to meet all the residents!
021.JPG
Having the town populated with characters should really bring the area to life! In the Sheriff’s office you may be asked to help make a wanted poster or you may be asked to become a deputy and help out.
022.JPG
Each day, a story will unfold in the town throughout the day. The day will culminate in a hoedown to celebrate the 75th year of the town, but beware of the Mayfield Gang attacking and trying to take over!
023.JPG
The Barn is being completely re-done to look more realistic, and it will now have real horses and a mule inside.
024.JPG
The Haunt Museum is no more. Instead, this will become the Town Hall.
025.JPG
This building will be the Calico Bank. The absent-minded bank owner keeps losing the combination to the safe, so he may need your help to figure it out! Also, beware of bank robbers!
026.JPG
There was lots of painting going on. Everything will look nicely touched up!
027.JPG
It’s nice seeing Ghost Town getting some TLC!
028.JPG
The Calico Square stage is being relocated to the area where Screamin’ Swing used to be - between the Mine Ride and Pony Express. The area the stage occupied will become the location for the big nightly Ghost Town hoedown.
029.JPG
The Calico Saloon is getting tons of love! It’s really looking great!
030.JPG
Outside it has been repainted and has new railings and fixtures.
031.JPG
There are new lanterns.
032.JPG
This design board gives a good idea of the finishes and style they’re going for.
033.JPG
Inside you can get a feel of how extensive the refurbishment is. Pretty much everything is getting worked on. The bar is brand new!
034.JPG
There will now be beer on tap! (Yay!) And air conditioning! (Yay!)
035.JPG
There’s lots to be done still!
036.JPG
The staircase has been replaced with a new one.
037.JPG
Ooooh, ahhh.
038.JPG
We can’t wait to escape the summer heat in here - sitting in the cold AC watching a show while sipping a beer sounds pretty nice!
039.JPG
Is it May yet?
040.JPG
The new Calico Stage is mostly just an empty lot so far. In a couple months this view will look very different!
041.JPG
Keep out!
042.JPG
Moving on, lets check out Mrs. Knott’s Chicken Dinner Restaurant!
043.JPG
This board gives an idea of what the finished building will look like. All furniture, flooring, lighting, and decor will be renovated.
044.JPG
This shows an overhead view of the restaurant.
045.JPG
And if you look closely, you’ll notice a full service bar has been added to the restaurant in place of the Garden Room. This should be a great addition!
046.JPG
For the first time, there will also now be an outdoor seating area. Guests will enjoy views of the Marketplace fountain and the newly restored GhostRider.
047.JPG
Russ stressed that when it comes to the food, their focus is on quality above all else. Anyone who knows Knott’s history can tell you that Knott’s Berry Farm wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the Chicken Dinner Restaurant - so Knott’s is working hard to honor that foundation by preserving Mrs. Knott’s original recipes and preparing them with the highest quality ingredients.
048.JPG
They were even nice enough to prepare some biscuits for us, some with boysenberry butter, and some with Knott’s own Berry Market jam.
049.JPG
Mmmmmm!
050.JPG
Finally, lets see how the Ghostrider refurbishment is coming along!
051.JPG
The coaster has been undergoing a full refurbishment intended to make it as good or better than when it was new.
052.JPG
When it re-opens the mid-course brake run will be gone! Yay!
053.JPG
The coaster is being completely re-tracked. You can clearly tell the new wood from the old wood.
054.JPG
Some parts have been re-profiled to give more airtime and a more thrilling ride!
055.JPG
If you look closely, you can see the bolt holes where this track used to be attached. The track was raised to give a bigger pop of air here.
056.JPG
The refurbishment appears to be coming along nicely. The coaster will also be getting new Millennium Flyer trains and magnetic brakes!
057.JPG
We can’t wait to fly over this drop again without the mid-course brake!
058.JPG
We also got to peek into the maintenance area. This is the area under where they store the extra train.
059.JPG
And here it is from above.
060.JPG
We also got to see the lift motor. The chain wasn’t attached at the moment.
061.JPG
Grease globs should be enough to get any coaster enthusiast salivating.
062.JPG
When Ghostrider first opened it was a great ride - we’re really excited to get to experience it that way once again. With the new trains, removed mid-course brake, re-profiled portions, and magnetic brakes at the end, we expect it to be even better than when it first opened!
063.JPG
As you can see, the Ghost Town 75th Anniversary is shaping up to be a must-see event at Knott’s. With new interactive entertainment, new shows, refurbishments throughout the area, the new-and-improved Chicken Dinner Restaurant, and the return of Ghostrider - its shaping up to be a great anniversary celebration! Thanks to Knott’s for showing us around, and thanks to you for checking out our report! The Ghost Town 75th Anniversary celebration begins May 27 - don’t miss it!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Knott's Ghost Town 75th Anniversary Construction Tour

Postby Wingwright » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:11 am

ILoveRides wrote:Knott’s Berry Farm is celebrating the 75th anniversary of Ghost Town this year, and to commemorate the occasion they’re refurbishing the area and adding several new experiences. Knott’s invited us to take a construction tour to see the current progress, so check out our report below to see everything that’s in store for Ghost Town’s big anniversary!

Great report. I can't wait to see all this in person.

If you look closely, you can see the bolt holes where this track used to be attached. The track was raised to give a bigger pop of air here.

Details like this make me really happy. Glad they are putting this level of effort into it.
Ghostrider deserves to be an amazing coaster again. If I was running for president, my platform would be "Make Ghostrider Great Again". Can I get this on a trucker hat? :lmao:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:20 am

They were even nice enough to prepare some biscuits for us, some with boysenberry butter, and some with Knott’s own Berry Market jam

I love those freakin' Knott's Berry Farm biscuits, especially when they're smothered with gravy. Boysenberry Jam works, too.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby The Geek Mojo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:36 am

I will be visiting Knott's for the very first time in July. I am so glad I'm going to get to experience this park during the 75th anniversary. Can't wait!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RyanTPM » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:50 am

Good to see a construction tour and see what's going on, thanks for that.

What I do and who I am

Postby pianojohn » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:12 am

I went twice last year and will DEFINITELY make it back this fall! I want to finally do Knott's Haunt event...but it's really the chicken dinner that keeps calling me!

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby thedlr » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:01 am

Well damn now I want some fried chicken.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:43 pm

pianojohn wrote:I went twice last year and will DEFINITELY make it back this fall! I want to finally do Knott's Haunt event...but it's really the chicken dinner that keeps calling me!

My family used to make a trip to Disneyland every year, but we always started off with a fried-chicken dinner and an evening at Knott's.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:36 pm

Mmmmmm, I can't wait till WCB rolls around in early Sept.

Last time Mrs. Knotts served me fried chicken, it was..... 1996!

Unfortunately, the 75th Celebration (might) will be "just over" at that time.
But of course, it's all about the fried chicken, yes? No?

;)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:57 pm

Good news? Bar in the Chicken Dinner restaurant!

Bad news? I'm a little bummed they got rid of the garden room. It added to the charm. The good news is that it sounds like they will be making the entire restaurant more themed overall, so I'm sure I'll get over it.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!