TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pizza Anyone?

Ryan King

What Is YOUR Favorite Pizza Provider?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What Is YOUR Favorite Pizza Provider?

• Me N Eds
    • Pizza Hut
    • Dominos
    • Papa John's
    • California Pizza Kitchen
    • Round Table
    • Little Caesars
    • Ma & Pa Pizza Place (Independantly Owned)
    • Other - Not Listed

If we're just talking best pizza ever, easily the pizza I ate in NYC and Rome takes the win. If we're talking pizza chains, I'd probably go with Unos, or if I had to stick with one of the poll options, CPK.

^ I really need to get to NYC and Chicago to get some of their respective pizzas!

I don't think that there are a lot of pizzerias in America that can beat true Italian pizza though. When we went Venice, Florence and Tuscany for 1.5 weeks, I had pizza and a beer every day for lunch at a different location and I only had one that I thought was not absolutely delicious (in Siena).

^^Wow...that looks awesome!

Actually, I think it's OVERWHELMING! In an awesome, delicious way.

Scorpion-Pizza-Pizza-on-a-Stick-1-550x731.jpg.e5e3116bf6c006121c09ead85a4b2fd6.jpg

Also OVERWHELMING!..................................... (too much?)...............................

^ Oh, there's quite the number of pizzas that we enjoy, usually with delivery, are ones

without the traditional tomato sauce base. We especially like pesto; a tex-mex sauce

that has fire; caramelized onions with mushrooms forming a '2nd layer' on the bread base...

We also shamelessly pick up frozen brand name ones from our Safeway, and dress them up

a bit more, depending on what the pizza is. And it's shape.

Yum, indeed.

^ We do that too, Bill!

Sometimes we will buy a plain uncooked cheese and pepperoni pizza from Wegmans and before I cook it, I will take the pepperoni off and add onions, chopped garlic, mushrooms, peppers, green olives, more cheese and then put the pepperoni back on top (so it will crisp on top).

Are there any good pizza spots in Buena Park, near Knott's?

I'm now planning to be there for West Coast Bash, and I'll probably be staying in Buena Park,

so I thought I would ask the locals down there.

I found a bunch, through the internet, but that doesn't tell me what's really good, etc.

Thanks in advance!

To be fair, freshness plays a huge role in most of the chains. I have had terrible Dominos, Pizza Hut, Little Caesar's and Papa John's pizzas, but I have also had really good pizza from them all. So it would be difficult for me to say which one I think is the best.

Same could be said for fast food. I have really good Whoppers, Quarter Pounders, Bacon Cheeseburgers from the big three chains and then downright atrocious burgers & fries from all.

That's why I rarely frequent chain restaurants as most seem to have that Jekyll & Hyde syndrome going on where you never know what you're going to get when you order. Locally family owned business know more is at stake, so they tend to cook with a little more passion and strive for better quality than most chains do.

When we order or go out for pizza, we have two family-owned businesses (Pace's & Pizza Express) that we frequent that blows all of the chain pizzas out of the water. Sure, you will pay more for them, but the quality is tons better and there are usually way more toppings on the pies.

I have a special relationship with Round Table. There's one really close by and when I don't want to cook, they're a pretty tasty and quick solution. One time, I said something about my cats in the order comments just to be weird, and they thought it was hilarious and put me down in the computer as the "cat house." So ever since then, they've drawn cats on our boxes when we order pizza.

IMG_2643.thumb.jpg.a5c7fcde383e0a60093b95fac5f50f11.jpg

My family has a long history with Papa Murphy's too and I still enjoy their pizza, but I've gotten kinda sick of it after having the same pizza every week for about 10 years.

Of course, the best pizza I've ever had was in Chicago and New Jersey. I'm looking forward to getting some legit New York style pizza from the area in April. Of course local places are better than chains. But for not-too-expensive nearby pick-up on a Friday night, I'd much rather have Round Table than Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Little Caesars, etc.

^^ Awww....your Siamese in the background looks a lot like a cat I used to have (Dakota passed from cancer in 2012).

Awww, poor guy Yeah a lot of the Siamese look so similar! And soooo cute Here's one of Jin's horrified looks

IMG_2140.thumb.jpg.fc5c1302527157aaff7a776da6e0c6b6.jpg

This picture cracks me up

And two more Round Table creations.

IMG_2519.thumb.jpg.62d6cf9459b292cd9757ec8987fb32a3.jpg

IMG_2577.thumb.jpg.99f79da6332681df40d33ac5fd82f65e.jpg

My favorite box

...^ Bill - I would definitely like to try that crazy looking pizza! Were the peppers on there hot?

Unfortunately, we never tried one of these HUGE things, when we were in China (TPR 2012 Tour),

where we saw it offered. So I really can't tell you if the peppers were hot or not. My loss, I guess.

Every major pizza chain sucks. The one exception might be Uno but I don't really think of that as pizza. I know I'm a N.Y. guy but I don't mean that as an insult. Deep dish is delicious but comparing that to N.Y. style pizza is like comparing apples to oranges. They're very different things (but they're both awesome).

Since we're in the N.Y area we can call up basically any place around that's not a chain and get great pizza (something we're really spoiled by), but I won't bore anyone with hole-in-the-wall pizza places nobody has ever heard of. I'm a pizza snob and rarely bother with pizza outside of the N.Y area because living in North Carolina for a few months taught me better. Despite that though there are always some exceptions and 2 of my top 3 fall into that category. So not that anyone cares but my top 3 would be:

3) Cesari's Pizza: Knoebels

Unless you're in a major city, trying to get a good slice of pizza in Pennsylvania is damn near impossible. That being said Knoebels defies logic and this stuff is wonderful. And nothing washes down a delicious slice of Cesari's better than a tall glass of Knoebels Kool Aid which I routinely sip every single day.

2) Lombari's Pizza: NYC

If someone were to ask me what the best slice of pizza was, I'd tell them it was Lombardi's. #1 is kind of a nostalgia thing for me but Lombardi's is world class. Everyone needs to check this place out. It's a staple of Scott's Pizza Tour and it should be.

1) I'm sorry guys but... Grotto Pizza: Delaware

Let me start this off by saying that there are Grotto Pizza locations in Pennsylvania. They all suck, but the ones in Delaware are incredible. I grew up eating this stuff on family vacations and I absolutely adore it. Nothing annoys me more then Pizza places trying to copy N.Y. pizza because they usually fail (cough... Nicola). Grotto doesn't try to copy anything, they did something completely different and it's great. Your mileage may vary though, it's definitely a little different.

lol and I just realized how arrogant that sounded. Sorry, living here just spoils you in the Pizza department. The weather sucks, the taxes suck but we have some damn good pizza and we're proud of that lol.

• 2 weeks later...