TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I ended up calling in to ask about it... They are indeed closing at 8 tonight. The reason I was given was that they didn't want to do fireworks with the drought. Seemed like some BS since its pretty wet right now and was much drier last year. I was probably not the first to complain either, as the woman I was speaking to almost immediately instructed me on the complaint process. Pretty bummed about this as it was getting to be a tradition for my son and I.

SO EXCITED. When I was there on NYE, I did notice they were taking down the Fright Fest maze stuff around there. Didn't think to mention it because I thought I was probably being a crazy fangirl and looking into it too much. Guess they really are doing something!

I've literally been waiting for something to happen to this theater ever since it closed years ago. I always felt it had so much unused potential just sitting there and only partially being used once a year. No matter what they're gonna do with it, it'll be a great improvement!

+1 for us again, CGA

Throwback to Dinosphere:

from page 46 of this thread

I'm hoping a Justice League dark ride comes in like 2 years. I figure after Joker, 2017 will probably be a small addition, but 2018 could be a possibility

The fan base of Teen Titans (original cartoon) would slit my throat for this, but i'd think a Teen Titans Go! shooting dark ride would be perfect for SF:DK I think. The show is "popular" but maybe isn't popular enough to have a dark ride based around it. The colors are certainly bright enough for it and I think the show is in it's 3rd season now.

As for the theater, in 2019-2020 maybe it can have something based on The Expanse (TV show) if it gets as popular as syfy and fans want it. It got renewed for a season 2 only 4 episodes into season 1. (the first two episodes are really dense BTW.)

The fan base of Teen Titans (original cartoon) would slit my throat for this, but i'd think a Teen Titans Go! shooting dark ride would be perfect for SF:DK I think. The show is "popular" but maybe isn't popular enough to have a dark ride based around it. The colors are certainly bright enough for it and I think the show is in it's 3rd season now.

Teen Titans Go is insanely popular with children. I think that it's the most popular show on Cartoon Network right now. The show is episodic in that each episode has a completely different plot and they effectively return to status quo at the end, so they can expand the universe infinitely.

Teen Titans Go is insanely popular with children. I think that it's the most popular show on Cartoon Network right now. The show is episodic in that each episode has a completely different plot and they effectively return to status quo at the end, so they can expand the universe infinitely.

Teen titans go is to narrow of a demographic and its current audience will likely outgrow it in a year or 2. I think the current Justice League dark ride appeals to a much broader demographic.

If they do build it, I hope they get higher quality projections. That and the capacity are the only issues I had with it at SFOT but overall it's a great ride that I hope more six flags parks could only benefit from

My theory behind this news of DinoSphere potentially reopening is that since both SFDK and CGA had the same type of simulator (Iwerks TurboRide), Six Flags probably got word about CGA replacing the old ride with Mass Effect: New Earth in its place, and decided to reopen theirs either because their simulator already had 4D effects installed during its last year of operation (competition perhaps?) or probably so there can be contrast with SFDK having a more family-friendly simulator ride (along with possibly keeping the old ride system, but we don't know yet), as opposed to the new ride system and mature themes that'll probably be in the Mass Effect ride at CGA. Or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Either way, I'm happy to hear more about this (and very surprised too given most of the other simulator theater attractions at other SF parks were shut down).

As much as I think a dark ride would be great, I'm expecting it to reopen as a 4D motion simulator ride again. Why else would they announce it in January instead of waiting for the typical Fall Six Flags announcements? I'd be surprised if it was anything more than that at this point, as I think they would wait until Fall if it was Justice League, which very well might happen to it in the future.

Pros of it being a motion simulator theater is they can do Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park overlays and change the program every few years if one becomes outdated or unpopular.

As much as I think a dark ride would be great, I'm expecting it to reopen as a 4D motion simulator ride again. Why else would they announce it in January instead of waiting for the typical Fall Six Flags announcements? I'd be surprised if it was anything more than that at this point, as I think they would wait until Fall if it was Justice League, which very well might happen to it in the future.

Pros of it being a motion simulator theater is they can do Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park overlays and change the program every few years if one becomes outdated or unpopular.

I don't think anyone was suggesting (or thinking) it be replaced with a dark ride. But just telling what we'd want for a dark ride if the park makes space for one. A motion simulator ride is really cool to have especially since "roar" will now be a multiple inversion roller coaster when I first went on Dinosphere, it really felt like a roller coaster to me.

Also, as someone who wears glasses, I hope the glasses they hand out can fit over my prescription glasses. though I can take em off and see less detail which is the sucky part.

Screamscape is hinting that it's going to be Pacific Rim themed...

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_discovery_kingdom.htm

If this is true, I so hope it's not like those recent movie-based 4D attractions where they just take the movie and try to shorten it to more or less than 10 minutes and label it as a ride.

On SFDK's Instagram: "Hold on tight, the new 3D projectors are in but did you know the new attraction will be 5D? #Iwerks #New"

I'm curious how this will turn out. Call it a coincidence if you want, but if that's not a clear sign they're wanting to compete with Mass Effect: New Earth at CGA, then I dunno what.

I believe the basic definition for 5D is just a standard 4D ride mixed with a motion simulator. However, I think any company can make up what exactly 5D/6D/7D/etc is.

I'm still surprised that SFDK is trying to go all the way to compete with CGA by opening a new 4D (or in this case, 5D) simulator attraction, even though they already have a new coaster on the way for this year.

I would say the most important thing about the action theater replacement is the IP. Six Flags owns several IPs from Warner Bros and more could be made. I think Pacific Rim is a bit of an outdated IP, and the movie wasn't very good. I think you would just be getting scenes from the movie. I think Scooby Doo, Teen Titans Go, or Godzilla would be the best option, and yes, I know that Godzilla is basically a bad version of Kong down Highway 1.

SFDK actually listens to guest feedback. I know because several things I have pointed out to them and suggested were addressed shortly after I filled out the survey. Guests have been begging them to bring back the Action Theater for years, and I believe they wanted to, but the ROI just didn't make sense. Remember, it was shut down because it was too costly to maintain.

Here's my theory...and this is pure speculation on my part.

SFDK was waiting for the right opportunity to bring it back in some form. Maybe they received offers from various IPs to revamp the theater and they were holding out for something better...like JL:EFM. They probably lobbied corporate to get JL:EFM and hoped to put it in that space. When they realized it wasn't going to happen (at least, not in the near future), they started re-examining other options.

Meanwhile, the economy picks up. AP's go up. Revenue goes up. They look down the road and worry about an attendance drop in 2016 because El Nino and the fact that there simply isn't enough to do indoors (or at least attractions to take refuge in the rain). Joker is coming in May...but that's another outdoor coaster. What could they do to get an attendance bump in early 2016 just as El Nino ramps up? They have the unused Action Theater. That's a major indoor attraction. They started entertaining offers from various IPs and chose the one that made the most financial sense (which is the one that kicked in the most money to help revamp the defunct theater).

And there you have it. People are buzzing about it. I would actually consider a trip in the rain now because of it...and that's what they want.

Guests have been begging them to bring back the Action Theater for years, and I believe they wanted to, but the ROI just didn't make sense. Remember, it was shut down because it was too costly to maintain.

I find this statement rather interesting IMO. So the people were begging for SFDK to bring their Action Theater back, while most people didn't care about CGA's Action Theater, even though they're basically the same attraction.

Screamscape is hinting that it's going to be Pacific Rim themed...

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_discovery_kingdom.htm

given that Pacific Rim 2 is now officially dead, I'll be very, very happy for a Pacific Rim "ride". The movie plot was kinda meh, not great but not down right horrible (Remember James Cameron's Avatar). But at the end of it, its a pure spectacle experience, much like Dinospehere was.

Guests have been begging them to bring back the Action Theater for years, and I believe they wanted to, but the ROI just didn't make sense. Remember, it was shut down because it was too costly to maintain.

I find this statement rather interesting IMO. So the people were begging for SFDK to bring their Action Theater back, while most people didn't care about CGA's Action Theater, even though they're basically the same attraction.

I haven't been to CGA since 2012 when it was a Sponge Bob theme, but it was a very popular attraction on that visit. I cannot speak personally to its popularity now. I do know that I have seen multiple discussions/threads on the web/social media (including TPR) where people are calling for the return of the Action Theater. SFDK needs more attractions that the entire family can experience together and (IMO) this will be a very popular addition to the park.