TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Queues

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Okay, I shall take this old topic, dust it off, and start it anew . . .

I want to talk about queues that are overkill (Too much lines, but not enough riders) I was at Kentucky Kingdom last week and I rode Storm Chaser. Now I went on a day that there weren't many people at the park and all the rides were just walk up and ride them. I'm seeing the switchbacks to Storm Runner ( They kept them intact when Twisted Twin was being converted to Storm Chaser)and I had to ask myself " Does this ride need all those lines?" I sure maybe a line or two was used during its opening season, but on today's visit I just walked up and rode on the only train they were running that day. I did that twice, once at around noontime and the second time at around four o'clock.

I'm sure those lines would come in handy should a truckload of riders come riding, but I just can't see it. That was a different story on the year I visited Six Flags Great America and rode American Eagle. I saw all those lines not being used and thought that was the norm. Later in the day, I went to ride American Eagle again and all the lines were filled. I stood in line and even waited longer so I could ride in front. Somehow, I thought that was beautiful.

So if I go on a ride and see a ton of queuing lines not being used, I guess I can thank my lucky stars that the lines not crowded and I won't have to wait that long to board a ride.

Lagoon is on the opposite end of the spectrum. None of their major rides have any significant queue space. On any mildly busy day, lines spill out on to the midway and it is rather irritating. If they were a very compact park like, say Grona Lund, I totally get it. But in many cases, there is more than enough room for a cattle pan queue line. Even when they built Cannibal, knowing it would be insanely popular, they barely built any queue space for it at all when there was plenty available (especially if it went more towards the coaster so guests could actually see the waterfall and cool theming!). Instead, if the crowds are anything significant, the line just takes up midway space, especially if it's a VERY crowded day.

Just kind of bizarre.

• 4 years later...

BLAST FROM THE PAST!!!!

Was looking through topics, and came across this one. Noticed it has not had any love in a long time, and so much has changed with theme parks, and their lines over the years, thought it would be fun to bring this topic back.

I have a VERY hard time picking a favorite queue. It use to be Expedition Everest... However, now I think it's a toss up between F.L.Y. and Taron. Both such amazing experiences, and the lines just help sell it. Greatly enjoy both of them. (As most lines at Phantasialand)