TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's your favorite Flat ride?

Favorite flat of all time- the sadly departed Lara Croft:Tomb Raider/Crypt/Giant Top Spin. I love to be flipped and adored this ride.

Favorite flat that's still around- Tilt A Whirl. Spins are an acceptable substitute for flips.

Runners-up: Flying Eagles, Gravitrons, Himalayas and variations thereof

If I ever get somewhere with a Bayern Kurve, I think that would place on my list.

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talocan at Phantasialand. Take a top spin, make it bigger, give it the craziest, longest ride cycle, then add a buttload of fire, water, and a soundtrack. It's fantastic.

As for a flat that can be found in more than one place, Top Scans are pretty darn awesome.

Anyone remember Axis at Knoebels? That was probably my favorite of all time!

I also sorely miss the Sea Dragon at BGW.

As far as rides that are still open, The Whip and Downdraft at Knoebels are definitely the two! I was shocked at how forceful downdraft was the first time I rode, and the whip is INSANELY fun, again amazing considering when it was built! As far as I am concerned, Knoebels has historically, and continues to have, one of the greatest flatride collections in the world!

Just curious if anyone here's rode the skyscraper/booster/speed flats? From what I've heard, they look a lot more intimidating than they really are. Any truth to this?

I've only ridden the Skyscraper models. They are actually one of my favorite flats. If you're at all uncomfortable with heights, it will scare you. The forward flips are crazy because you're facing straight down at the top and you're moving really fast.

Sounds pretty cool (forward flips remind me of the zipper). Apparently the 1 arm Mondial versions, AKA caprilolos, are even more intense.

Star Flyers are really fun. I'm itching to get on a 400 ft model.

I bet the extra height would be crazy, but one of my favorite things about wave swingers is the fact they still use chains to attach the seats. Last time I rode one, it was going pretty fast so I was able to use my legs as a "sail" and swing around backward at one point, facing the person behind me. It was really fun and it's now one of my favorite flats, definitely my favorite "classic" flat ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Good flyers, no doubt. Nothing compares to getting a few good snaps in. Knoebels is top dog here obviously, but honorable mentions go to the ones at Carowinds. Unfortunately, the one at my home park (Dorney) is an absolute joke.

Runner up is probably top spins, however, the restraints sit very poorly on me (See: Directly on top of my man bits) and can be pretty uncomfortable if I don't err... readjust, so to speak.

Don't mean to bump, but I just found this and have to say; coolest "ferris wheel" ever!

There was apparently one at SFGA, anyone remember it or get to ride it?

I think this was the ride featured on Beverley Hills Cop 3!

Kings Island had one as well.

Those giant topspins are freaking dope!!! I wish there were more of them. Ki getting rid of Crypt was silly, but then again I don't know the finances behind it.

The Crypt wasn't like a Vekoma Wakikki Wave or a KMG Discovery. It was more like a standard top spin with an added row.

Don't mean to bump, but I just found this and have to say; coolest "ferris wheel" ever!

There was apparently one at SFGA, anyone remember it or get to ride it?

So did Mariott's Great America in Santa Clara AND (non-SixFlags) Magic Mountain, back in the 1970s!

And I rode them both, back then. A bit of a wait between unloading-loading and changing wheels,

but worth the ride and the experience itself.

MagicMtn1975.JPG.8ea3822c161c97de6e6c0b40d5c42968.JPG

Not a great shot, but this is a shot of MM from Sept. 1975. In the very upper left corner of the pic,

you can make out their Sky Wheel - double one, unlike the triples at Great Americas, etc. And the

cleared land in the bottom right, was for the upcoming REVOLUTION coaster, bowing in 1976. (o;

You are correct about Beverly Hills Cop 3.

The other location of the ride was Six Flags Great America, though. Both rides opened in 1976, the same year the parks opened. The parks were originally nearly identical clones of each other when they opened. The California ride closed in 1997 and the Illinois ride closed in 2000.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.fde0aad6bee267a46fc46e2a56b2050a.jpg

Out of all the ones I have rode I would have to say the KMG Afterburner "It" at Morey's Piers. The ride cycle is so long (Compared to other claw rides, it feels double the length, especially the one at Dorney, which felt extremely short to me.) and I just love it. Also it was the first claw ride I went on that had lap bars. (and the only one with lap bars) I have never been on a giant Frisbee so that all might change when I finally get on one.