TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

The complaints are strong with this thread.

Flying Eagles are really fun attractions for the whole family, so that's a great addition. All Wheels Extreme is also a really cool show, so that's also a nice one. Anyone who was actually expecting a coaster this year probably needed to come back to reality. Maybe next year, maybe the year after that, who knows. At least they are taking care of a spot that's needed refurbishment for years.

See...I agree with you, but I think it's poor business logic for the park to take the stand of "come back to reality" and to accept "maybe next year" after a rather long drought of dry, high-thrill rides. Really, I'm not trying to come across as an expert here, but I do know that a significant amount of VF attendance each year comes from group sales. The MSP metro has a significant amount of large corporate offices. Having new, exciting additions to talk-up really helps with that process.

I know VF is near the bottom of the CF milkshake, but maybe sometimes you gotta spend big(ger) to earn big. I'm not sure of the park's numbers back in the mid-90's, but perhaps the Wild Thing investment was seen as a risk at the time...and that investment arguably put VF on the proverbial map. Just some food for thought.

O.K. Lets be fair here. I did believe we would get a coaster in 2016 but that was before the season opened. My tune changed on that once it became obvious that there were no footers going in. I really didn't know what was in store for 2016 due to lack of anything going on. One thing does not make sense, why the delay? What they announced does not warrent a delay unless the delay was weather or not the BMX show was coming but I dought it. Those kinds of shows are booked months in advance. This announcement also says nothing about the back of the park. It also is quite a small addition even for Valleyfair standards. I'm dissapointed in the announcement but I'm not sure that they are finished. Or, maybe they are saving up for something much bigger for 2017. (Thats me turning my back at all the daggers that will be thrown from that last statement. I can't help it, I'm an optimist to the end!

I don't know what you guys are talking about it looks like Gemini is coming to Valleyfair, it was in the announcement video... It answers all the clues; Garyman's posts, removal of a similar wood coaster, Excalibur, etc. It also explains why Valravn is so small, because 2017 they'll have a bigger one where Gemini was.

The thing I'm trying to figure out is when did Excalibur and Gemini become wooden tracked coasters?

But this did make me laugh

Even though I'm okay with this announcement, I think a new coaster is becoming more of a need than an want because the social media reaction so far has been mostly negative.

I expected the negative responses from hardcore enthusiasts in this thread about the announcement but I did not expect as much of the negative comments on VF's social media pages though like you said. Some are funny and some are just angry responses. I can't blame them either, even though I do not expect a new coaster for a few more years. A Frisbee would have been nice to mark the 40th anniversary of the park but CF does not seem to really add any substantial additions to their parks during anniversary years. You would think they would want to capture some of that excitement since it only happens once in a lifetime. At least with the 2016 announcement out of the way I can start to complain about what the park will not be getting in 2017.

I don't know what you guys are talking about it looks like Gemini is coming to Valleyfair, it was in the announcement video... It answers all the clues; Garyman's posts, removal of a similar wood coaster, Excalibur, etc. It also explains why Valravn is so small, because 2017 they'll have a bigger one where Gemini was.

The thing I'm trying to figure out is when did Excalibur and Gemini become wooden tracked coasters?

Since they were built?

Another hint for 2016 shall wait until after Haunt begings! MmmmHUaaaahahahah!

Remember when Garyman6 used to hint a new roller coaster for 2016... Like he actually knew something??? Lol what a bunch of BS

Not to attack or pile on here, but I think he even had some sort of stupid unscramble phrase thing as he claimed what was in the works for 2016. Never bought it for a second... Always remember: Those who actually know, very rarely tell!

On a side note, I'm pretty sure I nailed the actual name last week with the eggs hatching hint (stole the name from the Canada's Wonderland announcement). Guess that makes me the most reliable source on this thread..

Since they were built?

They're steel coasters. They just have a wooden support structure is all. I like the look of the old hybrids and, to me, Excalibur is a very interesting coaster.

http://rcdb.com/14.htm

http://rcdb.com/119.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_(Valleyfair)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_(roller_coaster)

Since they were built?

They're steel coasters. They just have a wooden support structure is all. I like the look of the old hybrids and, to me, Excalibur is a very interesting coaster.

http://rcdb.com/14.htm

http://rcdb.com/119.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_(Valleyfair)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_(roller_coaster)

Like the eco-freak-o cars?

Folks on social media have been HARSH about the 2016 plans. I'm underwhelmed, sure, but some of the comments on the VF Facebook page have been vicious! Before the season began, I was hopeful for a coaster since Wild Thing came on the park's 20th Anniversary. And while I like the Flyers, a thrill ride would've been nice.

Overall, I'm keeping my Platinum Pass, but I expect I'll be visiting CP and WoF more often than I visit VF, despite the closer proximity. Just 4th of July and The Haunt for VF.

See...I agree with you, but I think it's poor business logic for the park to take the stand of "come back to reality" and to accept "maybe next year" after a rather long drought of dry, high-thrill rides. Really, I'm not trying to come across as an expert here, but I do know that a significant amount of VF attendance each year comes from group sales. The MSP metro has a significant amount of large corporate offices. Having new, exciting additions to talk-up really helps with that process.

I know VF is near the bottom of the CF milkshake, but maybe sometimes in this industry you have to spend big(ger) to earn big. I'm not sure of the park's numbers back in the mid-90's, but perhaps the Wild Thing investment was seen as a risk at the time...and that investment arguably put VF on the proverbial map. Just some food for thought.

I agree with spending money to make money. What I meant was that anyone who was following the signs leading up to the announcement and actually thought a coaster was on the way wasn't living on the same planet as you or I.

I think a front gate coaster would do loads for this park, MSP is a growing metro area and VF could and should continue investing into the park to bring in new business.

Hey, we got something at least. They are over time fixing the things that need to be fixed. Route 76 now has another great ride, and the Amphitheater will now be back on the map. We have got consistent additions since 2013, and our coaster will come when the park is ready. That could be next year, or it could be 2020.

O.K. Lets be fair here. I did believe we would get a coaster in 2016 but that was before the season opened. My tune changed on that once it became obvious that there were no footers going in. I really didn't know what was in store for 2016 due to lack of anything going on.!

Yeah but seriously... Last year you were giving out themes of the "coaster" and telling people that you knew what was coming. You were Giving out hints as if you actually knew what was going to be announced. That was more than you just speculating, you were full on feeding people BS. You got people's hopes up for the 2016 season. You're not an optimist, you just like when people listen to you.

I imagine they're doing a lighter addition in anticipation of the large expenditure once the parking lot gets approved. Keep in mind, a lot of the money is spent prior to a ride being built. SDC in 2012 had the "Biggest show year ever!"--definitely an off year. Why? In April 2012 they began construction on Outlaw Run, and a lot of that was paid for in advance. Valleyfair's second parking lot is very expensive, and I'm sure what we're seeing is a reflection of that. People only see what's happening right now, but there are plans behind the scenes.

I imagine they're doing a lighter addition in anticipation of the large expenditure once the parking lot gets approved. Keep in mind, a lot of the money is spent prior to a ride being built. SDC in 2012 had the "Biggest show year ever!"--definitely an off year. Why? In April 2012 they began construction on Outlaw Run, and a lot of that was paid for in advance. Valleyfair's second parking lot is very expensive, and I'm sure what we're seeing is a reflection of that. People only see what's happening right now, but there are plans behind the scenes.

That's fair. I hope you're right.

O.K. Lets be fair here. I did believe we would get a coaster in 2016 but that was before the season opened. My tune changed on that once it became obvious that there were no footers going in. I really didn't know what was in store for 2016 due to lack of anything going on.!

Yeah but seriously... Last year you were giving out themes of the "coaster" and telling people that you knew what was coming. You were Giving out hints as if you actually knew what was going to be announced. That was more than you just speculating, you were full on feeding people BS. You got people's hopes up for the 2016 season. You're not an optimist, you just like when people listen to you.

Im sorry but that is not correct. I never hinted at specifics like theme and exact type of coaster/ride or when. I was always just speculating. Also, i never lied on anything that i was posting. I am friends with Mr. Frazier and lying on my posts would put him in an awkward place. Ill be clear here. Mr. Frazier does not tell me anything that he cant disclose. Believe me I've tried. Im not going to ruin a relationship over this so there is no reason for me to lie. I did post some word scramble riddles but i clarified that they were based on rumor. They are a strong rumor and still valid but still a rumor. Oh, and by the way, one requirement for posting is to have a sense of humor. Lighten up! Im disappointed too. I expected more this year, but the last post has a good point. A light year is usually followed by a major addition year.