TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

^^ Why would a park RMC its biggest draw when it could make a less popular coaster just as popular?

The General public might not be that interested in a make over of the grand national, but it would be easier to market the new big one - The UK's tallest, fastest coaster, the tallest coaster in the world with inversions, etc etc. RMC'ing the grand national would be unlikely to set any headline grabbing records.

It's unlikely to happen, but it would be awesome if it did.

The Grand National has an historic significance and so does the Big Dipper. It's one thing making over a woodie built in the last 30 years or so and another ripping up pieces of history. As it happens rollercoaster would have been my vote for a makeover. But that's already happened.

GN was being painted so I couldn't ride it last week. It looks pretty tired to be fair but I would still be sad to see it go.

How about a RMC of the Wild Mouse?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has now reopened and there is now a huge, gaping space in the middle of the park for their new 2017 ride. The space has been created by removing the Tom Sawyer Bridge which was one of the main routes across the park, and replaced by a new bridge which is closer to the Avalanche (which had supports changed to accommodate this).

It goes to show how parks like Cedar Point are nowhere near running out of space when a park as packed as Blackpool has so much space to develop just by moving a bridge.

Pictures from Theme Park Worldwide

bpbbridge.jpg.91252d24ed76b7891e76896f576c8804.jpg

bpbbridgegone.jpg.eef5ba87ddffff0fc930df1f91cb3c5c.jpg

Yes it looks really nice! I know Amanda Thompson isn't very popular with enthusiasts but I love what she's done with the park and think it's looking really nice nowadays.

I think the reason for that is because most enthusiasts are dumb and terrified of change. I have all the respect in that world for Amanda because she isn't afraid to change things up and do what she believes is best for the park and her family legacy.

The park does have a surprising amount of room left to install new attractions when you think about it. There is this new area, the area behind Infusion, fountain garden by Ice Blast and if they removed Grand Prix there would be a huge amount of space.

Yep, you're right, and as the Big One goes to show, you don't even need huge space for even massive coasters, all it takes is moving a couple of rides and being a bit creative with where the ride goes.

BTW apparently the ride is planned for 2018 now, not 2017 as I said in my post

^I know there was some rumors saying it'd be 2018 now, but there's really nothing that shows it's been delayed with that whole area cleared already and the bridge gone. I'd probably still say 2017 with what was said in the original interview revealing the project.

Yes it looks really nice! I know Amanda Thompson isn't very popular with enthusiasts but I love what she's done with the park and think it's looking really nice nowadays.

I think the reason for that is because most enthusiasts are dumb and terrified of change. I have all the respect in that world for Amanda because she isn't afraid to change things up and do what she believes is best for the park and her family legacy.

The park does have a surprising amount of room left to install new attractions when you think about it. There is this new area, the area behind Infusion, fountain garden by Ice Blast and if they removed Grand Prix there would be a huge amount of space.

Apparently Grand Prix is being removed to fit the new coaster in. And if the coaster is a Mack launch/multi launch that has been rumoured then that will certainly help her popularity with enthusiasts.

So, I haven't been to the park since 2008, and don't know the layout very well. Where is the new bridge located?

I saw this on Theme Park Worldwide's Facebook page... hope it helps! The path by the Revolution is quite narrow so not sure how it will cope on busy days but we'll see

thebridge.png.b70c827d71bde342f664dc9b916f49f7.png