TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Coasterjunkie1975 wakes up,looks at Canada'a Wonderlands new rides,scratches himself and then goes back to sleep to dream about going to Dollywood to ride Lightening Rod.

spoiled much, can't wait till 2017?

yup me too. i still need to make a road trip to knoebels next year anyway. Might aim for hershey and kennywood while i am at it.

Are they going to do anything like fix the rest of wilde beast, or fix the minebuster which is going from YORO (you only ride once) to DERO (don't even ride once)

just like the leafs, Ya gotta believe ...

Coasterjunkie1975 wakes up,looks at Canada'a Wonderlands new rides,scratches himself and then goes back to sleep to dream about going to Dollywood to ride Lightening Rod.

yup me too. i still need to make a road trip to knoebels next year anyway. Might aim for hershey and kennywood while i am at it.

Are they going to do anything like fix the rest of wilde beast, or fix the minebuster which is going from YORO (you only ride once) to DERO (don't even ride once)

With three off years in a row in regards to significant additions I might just take the year off from Wonderland next year.

- Guardian.....shootem up ride with outdated graphics and is already seemingly falling apart

- This year we got a used Water Slide and a used splash pad complex.

-Next year we get a flat ride almost every other park has and another flat which will probably good fun but won't be worth the inevitable 1 and half to 2 hour wait.

-our 2017 coaster will probably get "stolen" by Kings Island or Kings Dominion and if it isn'nt I am sure an extra years wait will not be worth it for a Wingrider lol

The best addition we have received since Leviathan was an upcharge ride in Slingshot.

Wow...color me surprised. I thought for sure that CW would get a new coaster next year.

Not that this is bad addition in any way (really cool additions actually), but I thought that the Skyrider area was prepping for the new coaster. Has anyone confirmed that this is where the two new flats are going or is that area still going to be for a new coaster in '17?

Wow...color me surprised. I thought for sure that CW would get a new coaster next year.

Not that this is bad addition in any way (really cool additions actually), but I thought that the Skyrider area was prepping for the new coaster. Has anyone confirmed that this is where the two new flats are going or is that area still going to be for a new coaster in '17?

Check the thread entitled "Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread." It's a good resource to answer your questions.

With three off years in a row in regards to significant additions I might just take the year off from Wonderland next year

3 Off years!?...3 years of additions and investments to the park and they are described as off years? I would hardly call Guardian an OFF year. Ditto adding to the waterpark. Next year they are adding to the flat ride selection at the park with two fun rides...what is the problem in that?

As thrilling and exciting as new coasters are...you aren't getting them every year..and at Wonderland..they are also trying to cater to the general public aswell.

We have had Behemoth, Leviathan, Guardian, Windseeker, Slingshot, Waterpark improvements AND next years additions in about a 7 year period.

I don't mind people critiquing the rides at CW but to "pooh" the investments is rather dismissive to all the GOOD work Cedar fair has done for the park. Who here wants the Paramount days back with all the spectacular new stuff we got then!

With three off years in a row in regards to significant additions I might just take the year off from Wonderland next year.

- Guardian.....shootem up ride with outdated graphics and is already seemingly falling apart

-Next year we get a flat ride almost every other park has and another flat which will probably good fun but won't be worth the inevitable 1 and half to 2 hour wait.

-our 2017 coaster will probably get "stolen" by Kings Island or Kings Dominion and if it isn'nt I am sure an extra years wait will not be worth it for a Wingrider lol

The best addition we have received since Leviathan was an upcharge ride in Slingshot.

holy spoiled. my home park is dorney i would not complain about that past years' lineup of new rides at all. be grateful. you are not going to get a major coaster every year sorry to break the news to you buddy.

^^Well, Guardian is almost a bust (way to many issues with it...let alone they can't even maintain audio as some of it has disappeared this season) and Typhoon isn't really fun....for the kid's sure, but for a waterpark that hasn't been expanded in over a decade, it's a pretty bad addition. But why did we get this slide from Ontario Place instead of the complex that a bunch of CF parks are getting? Because the government was selling Typhoon cheap...and why not buy a cheap slide that you can easily market into, "...speed through back-to-back turns and spirals before suddenly dropping into the massive open 18 ft. (5.5 m) funnel", when in reality, there is no speed, no "massive" funnels, and the "spirals" are literally just a slightly over 360-degree turn.

And before anyone jumps on me for thinking I'm spoiled, my only issue is that Wonderland has been investing in additions that are cheap and building attractions that aren't even complete (aka Guardian).

^talon2017: So you want a dark ride that's theming isn't even complete...let alone they can't even maintain?

^Its CF.. What'd you expect when they said they were building a dark ride?

As for next year's additions, the Eagles look fun, and I'm SUPER pumped for skyhawk. Just checked out a few crazy YouTube videos of those Sky Roller rides at other parks, and they look like a ton of fun... UNLIMITD BARREL ROLLS HERE I COME!

^Its CF.. What'd you expect when they said they were building a dark ride?

a) A ride with complete/half decent theming:

Is building a wall instead of a fence too much to ask for? You can see the drop track, projectors, and behind the screens, all from here! Let alone there is rock work on one half of the station and the other half is simply painted black...with a very ill placed animation (not seen in the picture).

b) A ride they would maintain: I was really hoping they would actually make an effort to complete the theming of the ride during the off-season (it's not like they had a lot to do...they built the slide starting in January and Slingshot went up March(ish).) This just clearly shows that have no intention on ever "completing" the ride....but hey, props to the crew for making the entrance into the mountain (ride portion) a perfect square.

Voyage to the Iron Reef is much better compared to WMG and costed less.

Dom946

I have been critical of Guardian's theming on this thread and have asked the question why it seems "incomplete" in regards to the queuing area, lack of merchandise shop etc....however...when the ride came out and details were discussed...the cost of the ride seemed to be agreed at about $10 million. Whatever the criticism of the ride itself..that is not a small amount for a regional park be it high in attendance or not. I don't think you are spoiled...I just think your definition of "cheap" is a little unfair to Cedar Fair. We are never going to get Spiderman/Transformers/Escape from Gringotts etc at CW....I think afew too many people compare Guardian to these rides. The problem with going to Disney or Universal is that you end up doing rides that you ain't going to be doing in your home park.

Tomb raider/Time warp was the last ride that I recall installed from the paramount days...and most enthusiasts on here HATE that one. If you want to compare the CF investment to the Paramount investment...then feel free. Also compare it to other CF parks outwith Cedar Point.....I think we stack up pretty well....Wonderland is WAY better now than it was when I first moved to Toronto

Typhoon isn't really fun....for the kid's sure

This is where the coaster enthusiast world can get a little bit frustrating. Is it wrong to have something that is fun for kids? Does EVERY new addition have to be some launched RMC flyer hyper dive coaster with inversions to satisfy our hobby? Are we saying if a ride is only fun for kids then it is not worth having in a park or not worth adding? I love my coasters for sure...but I also like going on rides with my son at a level that is appropriate for him.....he loved Typhoon...which makes it a good addition for me....the fact it is second hand played no role in his or my enjoyment of it.

We ARE spoiled in the coasterworld. That is proved by someone mentioning Lightening Rod in this thread as though that is what we should be having. That ride has NOTHING to do with Wonderland...it is the big addition for Dollywood next year...and good on them for it. People are wishing for that type of thing to come to Wonderland....and who knows what might happen for the future....I am one of the people that think it is a safe bet that we will get a coaster in 2017.

I don't want to be one of the people though that start dissing my home park for not meeting expectations and being allegedly cheap....when the optics are the opposite.

KD stealing.... your coaster!? KD is going on 7 seasons without a coaster and you're going on 5 (technically 2, if you count WMG). And now you complain about a unique and awesome looking flat ride? Come on, stop being spoiled, you got Leviathan relatively recently. If anything next year, you guys would be stealing KD's coaster.

^^In terms of guardian, I was not comparing it to Universal at all! I was literally commenting on how a missing wall ruins the whole "in a mountain" theme and how Wonderland won't put up that wall!

Edited by Dom497

^^^^Again, it's CF. since when is theming a priority? If you really wanna wait/hope guardian gets completed, you could always prey that Wonderland pulls a Marineland (they took 20 years to eventually finish the theming on Dragon Mountain)

^^^Couldnt agree more. This is another reason I'm so pumped for SkyHawk. It's something that everyone can ride. It can be a Windseeker-style, relaxing flight, or a crazy-intense balls to the walls experience (AKA flat ride heaven lol).

KD stealing.... your coaster!? KD is going on 7 seasons without a coaster and you're going on 5 (technically 2, if you count WMG). And now you complain about a unique and awesome looking flat ride? Come on, stop being spoiled, you got Leviathan relatively recently. If anything next year, you guys would be stealing KD's coaster.

You're stealing that coaster from VF.

Yeah, If anything we need the 2017 coaster badly. In 2010 we got i305, 2012 CW got leviathan and 2014 got wonder mountain in 2014 KI got banshee and in 2015 carowinds got fury.

I can't even with these Canada's Wonderland fans anymore... You know we can go back to the Paramount age of adding crap coasters like Tomb Raider... GET THE F OVER YOURSELVES!!!! We are beyond spoiled and have gotten really great additions and another coaster coming in 2017...... We have had 3 coasters added in a 8 year period and make that 4 coasters added in a 10 year period once 2017 rolls around!!!!! Other parks are looking at us going WTF!!!

^^^^Again, it's CF. since when is theming a priority? If you really wanna wait/hope guardian gets completed, you could always prey that Wonderland pulls a Marineland (they took 20 years to eventually finish the theming on Dragon Mountain)

His complaint about WMG is valid. When it comes to dark rides, whether or not it's at a Cedar Fair park, immersiveness is the most important part. A giant black wall with a visible drop track and a bunch of technology out in the open? Not immersive at all. It looks like a warehouse with a coaster running through it.

I mean, for less than what WMG cost, Six Flags got Justice League, which I have ridden and, while I haven't ridden WMG, I'm sure JL blows it out of the water. The queue is immersive enough, the ride looks completed and has a nice balance of physical and digital sets, and it has a nice simulator ending. (BTW, I know most CW visitors will never ride JL, but I just wanted to point out that SF delivered a much better ride than CF did with a smaller budget.)

As for the comments about lack of a coaster: Can you CW fanboys just STFU please? Your whining about not getting a new coaster is annoying. Sorry you can't get a mega coaster every year, and like others have mentioned, lots of CF parks need new coasters more than you do. Be happy with your two new flats, which is the next best thing to a coaster. As far as I know, VF, MiA, and DP haven't announced any new rides yet. Be thankful for getting TWO.

As for the comments about lack of a coaster: Can you CW fanboys just STFU please? Your whining about not getting a new coaster is annoying. Sorry you can't get a mega coaster every year, and like others have mentioned, lots of CF parks need new coasters more than you do. Be happy with your two new flats, which is the next best thing to a coaster. As far as I know, VF, MiA, and DP haven't announced any new rides yet. Be thankful for getting TWO.

I agree with you here, definitely. Canada's Wonderland is pretty much the only amusement park in the Toronto area (Ontario Place, we barely knew ye) - they know that people will come to the park regardless of whether there's a new big-ticket coaster installed every four to five years or not! They don't have to put in big investments all the time because, at least right now, the market is generally satisfied.