TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Just announced!

Knott’s Berry Farm Prepares For Ghost Town’s 75th Anniversary Celebration In 2016

Saddle-Up On GhostRider Before September 8

In 2016, Knott's Berry Farm’s Ghost Town will celebrate 75 years of creating lasting memories for countless generations. In preparation for Ghost Town’s Anniversary Celebration, GhostRider, the longest, tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster on the West Coast, will close on September 8 for a comprehensive restoration. The massive coaster features plunging drops, harrowing turns, and 4,533 ft. of wooden track. Hitting speeds of over 50 miles per hour, and looming 118 ft. over the historic Ghost Town, GhostRider even races outside of the Park, towering over Beach Boulevard. Screamin’ Swing will permanently close on September 8 in preparation for Ghost Town’s 75th anniversary celebration in 2016. In November, Knott’s will share more plans about how the park will celebrate the 75th anniversary of Ghost Town. Join the conversation on social media using #GhostTown75 for more updates on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

GhostRider_Night.thumb.jpg.c75d8c3a8bc226021e9e3326b15dd7ab.jpg

317775826_GhostRideronlifthillHDRLarge2.thumb.jpg.d2bc8e956189b8f1efc3d3305b024093.jpg

So glad they are refurbishing GhostRider, but I wonder who is doing the work? My wish would be for RMC to do it with topper track, but CF has never worked with RMC before. Whatever company Knott's chooses to use for the refurbishment, I really hope they can provide a long-lasting solution.

Edited by VegasBaby

Very interesting. With this, I wouldn't expect a major RMC overhaul to happen in the near future. I wonder who will be performing the refurb. Topper Track, Gravity Group, or Martin & Vleminckx would probably be the front runners, maybe even GCI. It's not like Ghost Rider needs a layout change or RMC treatment. This work being done should make it a great ride again.

^ question is, whose doing this restoration (please say rmc topper track)

I would be over-joyed to see RMC retrack this ride, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was GCI.

If I had to guess, I think you're right. I think we are looking at something more along the lines of what GCI did to Boulder Dash (which was awesome) but that's just my guess.

I've never been on Ghost Rider but from what I've heard/read it sounds like it was a great ride when it was new, so keeping it's original layout might be worth while.

If it is GCI I wonder if there's any chance of them introducing Millenium Flyers if they compeltly re-track the layout.

I've never been on Ghost Rider but from what I've heard/read it sounds like it was a great ride when it was new, so keeping it's original layout might be worth while.

If it is GCI I wonder if there's any chance of them introducing Millenium Flyers if they compeltly re-track the layout.

GCI will probably recommend MF trains if they do the work, because they are much lighter and the track will last longer. Not only that, but they are trailered and articulate and maneuver the elements better.

I think that Gravity Group w/ Timberliners could be in the works too, as they are another spin off of CCI.

Either would work out well and make the ride much better.

^ question is, whose doing this restoration (please say rmc topper track)

I would be over-joyed to see RMC retrack this ride, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was GCI.

If I had to guess, I think you're right. I think we are looking at something more along the lines of what GCI did to Boulder Dash (which was awesome) but that's just my guess.

Here's to hoping that whoever does this work does it well. I'd love the chance to experience what Ghostrider was like when it was in its prime. The first time I rode this coaster was after it had started becoming rough and barely rideable.

As much as I love all the RMC transformations. I'd be just as happy if they restored it to its original glory.

This! But whatever they do, they NEED it to be good for more than just a few years after the restoration. That's the only thing I fear if it's not an RMC...how long will the ride be good for before it falls back into being rough again?

That being said, I just rode Boulder Dash early this season and it's been what, 5 or 6 years since GCI did their work and it's still running AWESOME! But Lake Compounce also only has three big roller coasters right now, two of them being woodies....

As much as I love all the RMC transformations. I'd be just as happy if they restored it to its original glory.

This! But whatever they do, they NEED it to be good for more than just a few years after the restoration. That's the only thing I fear if it's not an RMC...how long will the ride be good for before it falls back into being rough again?

That being said, I just rode Boulder Dash early this season and it's been what, 5 or 6 years since GCI did their work and it's still running AWESOME! But Lake Compounce also only has three big roller coasters right now, two of them being woodies....

Agreed! I just think that the restoration will need to include new trains. PTC's can beat the CRAP out of the track, just look at Voyage. Whether it is GCI, Gravity Group, or RMC, I just really hope the renovation includes new non-PTC trains! I'm still hoping for RMC regardless.

But whatever they do, they NEED it to be good for more than just a few years after the restoration. That's the only thing I fear if it's not an RMC...how long will the ride be good for before it falls back into being rough again?

Playing Devil's Advocate here - we can't automatically say that the coaster would remain smooth regardless of who would do the installation, and that includes Rocky Mountain. What matters is that Knott's needs to maintain the thing regularly, or else it will devolve back to the way it currently stands (a "ghost" of its former self, knee slap).

But whatever they do, they NEED it to be good for more than just a few years after the restoration. That's the only thing I fear if it's not an RMC...how long will the ride be good for before it falls back into being rough again?

Playing Devil's Advocate here - we can't automatically say that the coaster would remain smooth regardless of who would do the installation, and that includes Rocky Mountain.

Of course. But I think it's safe to assume that RMC's topper track work probably has a longer shelf life than the others even if the park did absolutely nothing to it. That was my point.

Completely agree with Robb here, I want to see Knott's do something that will keep the ride running great for years and years. I don't care if it's RMC topper track or GCI as long as it lasts. The worst thing would be to spend a whole bunch of $$$ to restore it and then have the ride quality deteriorate after 2-3 years. And yes, please get rid of the dang MCBR!

Don't forget about the Mexican company (name escapes me) that did Rampage last year, Ravine Flyers and I think the Holiday World rides. All the rides they retracked turned out really good.

I rode Rampage last October just after the refurbishment and it was running crazy fast and mostly smooth. I know Dan Koch owns the park and has something to do with this as well, but it really did run like the Holiday World woodies, just smoother.

There was a notable pothole and a few other kinks but it added to the ride. It ran soooo much better than it did before the park closed down, so I would be completely fine with the same company doing Ghost Rider. I do hope Rampage and Ghost Rider can hold the test of time with their new track work though.

Retracking and restoring is awesome! Can we get confirmation that they'll kill the awful MCBR, too? That's just evil to come to a full stop before "the drop."

One of my favorite coaster moments of all time was rushing towards "the drop" like a bat out of hell. I know it wasn't actually very fast but it sure felt out of control. I hope to experience it again after the refurb!