TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Official RCT/RCT2 Help Thread

When RCT2 was released, Infogrames claimed that peeps could handle 2 across paths without getting confused and lost. From what I've seen playing parks with 2 across paths throughout, like the SFMM recreation that comes with the game, peeps meander back and forth between the 2 sides of the tarmac often, don't seem to head straight for rides, and often get turned around and just randomly find a ride with no real intent at times. You can't have 2 across paths on inclines and declines, the game separates the 2 paths on the stairs. So it seems to me to be more about aesthetic and scale to the real world than actual effective planning to have 2 across paths.

The way to get around this is to not have the multi-tile pathways actually connect, but to have each path separated from parallel pathways with wall pieces while designing the park and then removing the walls once the park is open. This works especially well with custom designed pathways that take up a whole tile, so that when you remove the walls there is no visual separation between the separate pathways. Another way that I make it appear to be a large plaza or wider pathway is to use one of the full tile gray pathways and the other "paths" are actually a gray flat roof scenery piece.

Just remember that when a park starts to get busy, peeps on single tile pathways will constantly complain about how crowded the park is. That's where the "make all guests happy" feature on 8cars comes in really handy.

You just need to make sure they are placed in your Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 ObjData folder on your computer. Your computer should either give you the option to place downloads in a specific folder before downloading, or if your computer automatically places them in a file folder like "downloads" you just move them over to the ObjData folder.

• 1 month later...

So, I recently started my own custom scenario for the first time, and after working through some bugs on my own--which were all my own fault due to inexperience-- I am still having a slight problem. I have themed all of the areas where I am going to be putting bathrooms/info/food/souvenirs, and it seems like either the themeing or placement is making it hard for people to find. They all need to go to the bathroom and are hungry/thirsty until I started placing shops outside themed buildings. I think part of it is the placement of buildings, but I am curious, can surrounding a stall with themeing cause people to miss it?

I know that the food issue was due to placement...

SCR20.jpg.392513da493a74e0f17006796a19db3f.jpg

SCR21.jpg.f3780e9658a6d60d8a8abcd965383ebf.jpg

because when I put stalls on the main pathways instead of the spurs into the buildings, they start finding them ok.

I am wondering though, do these themeing elements prevent people from finding bathrooms, even on main pathways? People had a hard time finding the 10+ bathrooms I had until I started placing some without theming.

SCR22.jpg.9ce5d4f1580999e27d95a9b22bcb90a7.jpg

Your pathways are too complicated with too many zigzags. Peeps tend to get turned around if there are too many corners. Perhaps if you don't want to change where your paths meander you could use a trainer to give every peep a park map. I don't know if that would help, otherwise you are going to have to make your paths less complicated.

It's been a few years since I played RCT 2 so I decided to play it the other day. When I put the disc in auto run started, but I got this message "Exception Raised: Access Violation, Error Location: Unknown Driver". As soon as I click "OK" or close the message the game stops running. I am still using the same computer with Windows XP. Since I last played I have switched to a square flat screen monitor and have a different motherboard. I have tried running the game in various compatibility modes and as an administrator, but nothing worked. Hopefully one of you guys can help me out. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to reinstall RCT2 on my desktop computer. For a while I had the game working then all of a sudden it stopped working, causing the computer to freeze and reboot itself. It was suggested I uninstall it and reinstall and since then I've been getting this error message:

Component transfer error

---------------------------------

Component: minimum

File group: minimum

File: D:\data2.cab

Error: data error (cyclic redundancy check)

It's been suggested that perhaps something in one of the Windows updates is interfering with something in the game.

Can anyone help me out? I'd really like to get back to the park I was making.

It's been a few years since I played RCT 2 so I decided to play it the other day. When I put the disc in auto run started, but I got this message "Exception Raised: Access Violation, Error Location: Unknown Driver". As soon as I click "OK" or close the message the game stops running. I am still using the same computer with Windows XP. Since I last played I have switched to a square flat screen monitor and have a different motherboard. I have tried running the game in various compatibility modes and as an administrator, but nothing worked. Hopefully one of you guys can help me out. Thanks!

Does it do that when you try running the game or when you try opening a park?

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone as soon as possible tell me or give me a tutorial on how to install and use the 8 car per trainer with RCT2 on mac. I managed to get the game installed through wineskin, i just need the 8 car per trainer now for selected rides i am building. If someone can do this as soon as possible, i will be forever grateful. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got a problem in RCT2 where I am unable to save my work. When I click to save the game, nothing happens. When I go to quit the game, it tells me do I want to save? I click save game and it does nothing also. I've tried a couple times to uninstall the game and reinstall it, does the same thing every time. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

In my latest park, brighton point, I have a custom ride from amazing earl, now whenever I try and open the saved game it says file contains invalid data. I'm working really hard on the park and making it a timeline that is like super important to me. Could anyone help? I also have the son of beast trainer but only used It a couple times a while ago...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi I need help with an 8 car trainer glitch. It's when there's just a tower of land on one block and it goes very high. I've fixed this but I can't remember how. Someone help.

Normally they go away by them selfs after some time.

There are two things you can do as far as I know.

- You can use Map Object Manipulation and lower that tile or

- you can click on Debug -> Eliminate duplicate Suface Data -> Landscape -> Cap land at max height

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know why my digital version of RCT2 has suddenly stopped saving files? It seems the files exist to the game, but they don't actually exist on the hard drive... for example, I can see the file name "High Dive" when I go to save a track in-game, but when I go there in windows it's not there. I can load the track from in-game menu, and get the overwrite prompt when I try to save over it in-game. I can even choose "Copy" from in the game, but when I try to paste it anywhere, windows tells me the file "no longer exists" at this location. Screenshots are also not showing up where they normally do.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the game being a digital version. I think I bought it from Amazon for about $5, and it was definitely worth it. This is the first issue I have had with the game so far.

• 4 weeks later...

LuminousAphid,

Have you checked your compatibility files for RCT2 tracks and screenshots? Custom files are located there on newer machines. My Windows 7 computer puts them in C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Infogrames Interactive\RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\Infogrames Interactive\RollerCoaster Tycoon 2\Tracks.

Local Disk --> Program Files (x86) --> Infogrames Interactive --> RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 --> Compatibility Files --> You should see screenshots and other related folders.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

0114160025-01.thumb.jpg.d2aa9b44c46c19ad1ea0b3bed3df5264.jpg

Hey I have a problem! I been wanting to build Volcania in RCT2, I found this revisted scenario somewhere, when I completed a ride, i get this message saying i cant build a entrance, exit i'm not allowed to modify this sation, what is the problem? Somebody help please! I want to build this!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...