TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

4,760 feet long, 73 mph, 200 foot drop. Looks like a more streamlined, twistier Goliath from Over Georgia. B&M speed coasters are never a bad addition.

^Thank you! Seems like a nice addition.

Mako looks like a great addition to the park's line up. Too bad I'm visiting FL in March next year, doubt it'll be open by then.

I wouldn't put that past them, it is Florida so they can perform construction work all winter long, and that's a full 10 months away. Seems like Manta ended up opening in the early/late spring if I remember correctly (maybe not).

From the POV it looks like the station will be between the Shark Encounter building and the Nautilus theatre behind the Shark building, and from the concept art it looks like there might be a new pathway built directly across from the Nautilus on the strip of land between the large lake and the smaller pond. Seems like a tight squeeze but that whole are should look fantastic when it's all done. (I always felt like there should be a path there on that strip of land, now it looks like there might be!).

ORLANDO’S TALLEST, FASTEST AND LONGEST COASTER

WILL SOON BEGIN ITS ASCENT AT SEAWORLD ORLANDO

SeaWorld Orlando’s Mako ™ quick facts:

• Opening summer 2016, Mako will be the tallest, fastest and longest coaster in Orlando

• Mako will be a hypercoaster, designed for speed and relentless “air time”

• SeaWorld Orlando will now have a portfolio of five thrill rides: three distinctly different coasters, plus two family coasters.

• The 2-acre realm of the park will now be fully themed around sharks: including Mako, Shark Encounter®, Sharks Underwater Grill®, themed gift shops, shark and shipwreck theming and educational experiences.

ORLANDO, Fla. (May 27, 2015) – Surfacing summer 2016 at SeaWorld Orlando will be Mako, a 200-foot-tall hypercoaster that will reach 73 mph along 4,760 feet of steel track — nearly a mile long — and leave riders feeling both breathless and weightless. Named for one of the ocean’s fastest known sharks, Mako will be Orlando’s tallest, fastest and longest roller coaster.

“On Mako, you’ll experience what it’s like to be this apex predator, surging through the water at top speed and chasing prey throughout a massive reef,” said Brian Morrow, SeaWorld’s attraction creative director. “It will be a wild mix of fear, thrills and fun.”

Mako’s tight turns and speed are inspired by reality. Mako sharks — also called “blue pointers” — are known for their top speed, making extreme jumps and the ability to quickly change course as they pursue their prey.

The new coaster will become one of the world’s few true hypercoasters, a group of roller coasters known for high speeds and steep drops and hills that create a feeling of weightlessness or “air time.” As the sleek coaster cars crest each hill, riders float, nearly weightless.

Mako is manufactured by Bolliger & Mabillard, a company renowned among coaster enthusiasts. B&M has built many of the world’s top roller coasters, including SeaWorld’s Manta and Kraken, and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay’s SheiKra.

SeaWorld’s new hypercoaster will be the centerpiece of the newly themed surrounding realm. The two-acre plaza now will be fully shark themed including Mako, Shark Encounter, Sharks Underwater Grill, shops, shark and shipwreck theming and educational experiences featuring sharks.

The entire realm is created to make guests feel they’re underwater, part of the group of sharks and toothy animals that have taken over a shipwrecked reef.

In the plaza, guests will learn about the impact humans are having on sharks and why these animals are critical to the environment. Sharks are hunted for their fins — considered a delicacy in certain countries — and thousands are caught accidentally in nets. Several species of sharks are on the verge of extinction.

“It’s this blend of education and thrills, immersing guests in an underwater world, that sets a SeaWorld ride apart from others,” said Morrow.

“Our fans will love how Mako complements our other rides. Kraken is big, monstrous and twisty. Manta is massive and glides smoothly, taking you on a flight like a huge ray. Mako is entirely different. It’s streamlined and fast, just like a mako shark. There’s no wasted motion, it’s all speed and dives.”

Mako uses a unique sound system to enhance the experience, and not just for those on the ride. The full score of Mako can be heard and follows riders out of the station and up the lift hill. Custom surround effects and musical scores fill the realm, changing as the coaster dives through the area.

At night, specialty lights will accent the coaster trains, realm and track, flickering and shimmering, simulating fish being scattered by a mako on the hunt.

MAKO FACT SHEET

Name Mako™

Location SeaWorld Orlando

Opening date Summer 2016

Theme Surge through a shipwreck reef as the shark and experience the ocean as an apex predator on SeaWorld’s all-new hypercoaster, Mako, Orlando’s tallest, fastest and longest roller coaster.

Type Hypercoaster

This class of roller coasters is known for multiple, tall hills and high speeds, providing near weightless “air time.” Some coaster enthusiasts say that hypercoasters are the essence of the extreme coaster experience.

Manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard, Switzerland

With a portfolio that includes nearly 100 coasters throughout the world, B&M is renowned for the quality of their design.

Inspiration The ride is inspired by one of the ocean’s fastest sharks, the mako.

Queue line As guests anticipate boarding the coaster, even the queue brings them into an undersea theme. Riders feel as though they are floating under a pier, winding through shipwrecks and shadows.

Height: 200 feet

Max Speed: 73 mph

Length: 4,760 feet (nearly a mile)

Number of Nine

air-time hills

Rider height: 54 inches

Track over water: 1,864 feet

G-forces Mako provides plenty of negative Gs, giving riders the hypercoaster’s fun, out-of-your-seat feeling.

• Negative g-forces cause the weightless feeling when you come over the crest of a hill.

• Positive g-forces create the “push-you-in-your-seat” feeling riders feel at the bottom of a hill or in tight turns.

Sound system: A 48,000-watt, intelligent surround-sound system envelops the realm. Sounds follow the coaster trains as they dive through and around the area … and just over guests’ heads.

Coaster trains: Custom-designed, inspired by the mako, in steel origami form.

The realm: Seven acres (including Mako footprint and shark realm)

The new pathway through this area will be reminiscent of a giant shipwreck, with shark theming throughout.

Existing “fin favorites” in the area include:

• Shark Encounter – Come face-to-face with real sharks on a fascinating journey through one of the world’s largest acrylic underwater viewing tunnels. Sharks swim above and around you.

• Sharks Underwater Grill – Cross over the entry bridge over a pool of graceful sharks and rays. Diners enjoy a stunning underwater view of sharks in SeaWorld’s signature full-service restaurant.

SeaWorld Orlando’s SeaWorld now will have five coasters, each distinctly different:

Thrill ride portfolio  Mako™ – a hypercoaster with high speeds, twists and turns.

• Kraken® – a twisting, floorless coaster; inversions and loops.

• Manta® – a flying roller coaster with loops and inversions.

• Shamu Express ®– the perfect first coaster ride for the kids.

• Journey to Atlantis® – a family water coaster that transports guests to the mythical city of Atlantis

image_11778.jpg.d607a2d264843d425bc80868c67966e1.jpg

image_11779.jpg.3eb7ed2ef10ee51e1be302578a7ac0d6.jpg

image_11780.jpg.f2d34c986885851ae66bdc309c0a9e85.jpg

image_11781.jpg.dc633ffb6e6a772fc94539ff394e5ce7.jpg

image_11782.jpg.f6cbdfcff99f44c693779446a662d9ef.jpg

Just got back from the SeaWorld media event for the Mako Announcement. Here's some of the photos from that....

mako_media_01.thumb.jpg.b9a2d07dfb9a75093a104b3494368b34.jpg

SeaWorld always seems to put on some fairly elaborate announcements. This was no exception.

mako_media_01a.thumb.jpg.28e1715930e0629ab00e5f06d0d2577b.jpg

Brain Marrow, Creative Director for SeaWorld talks us through "Mako."

mako_media_02.thumb.jpg.e8f0df1986fde2e2a6f12e2b22db973e.jpg

Mako is a new B&M Hyper Coaster for SeaWorld Orlando. It will stand 200 feet tall, race through 4,760 feet of track, and reach speeds of 73 MPH. While not the tallest or fastest in the world by any means, it is the tallest and fastest in Orlando. Which really says something if you think about some of the high quality rides we have here!

mako_media_03.thumb.jpg.7a012bb948eca2b21087a1e712bc8798.jpg

Mako's entrance will be located in the "Sharks" area of the park, and then head back towards International Drive, make a left hand turn, always parallel to Kraken, and then come on back.

mako_media_05.thumb.jpg.90120fa844846d0708d5ed0c0f35d038.jpg

Like other SeaWorld attractions, the area will feature some incredible theming.

mako_media_06.thumb.jpg.b821eba86a4d4d090512d8deb1c414c9.jpg

Brian says the ride will have nine moments of airitme.

mako_media_07.thumb.jpg.f5e40553f56e05b80a2252ceb255e505.jpg

The front entrance of the ride will have an iconic flyby moment similar to that of Manta. Brian says "Everyone LOVES the wing-dip in the water from Manta and we want to do something equally as visually stunning with Mako."

mako_media_08.thumb.jpg.22174ac928f9c8f56399d889e835d6b4.jpg

You can always count on SeaWorld to put on a great event...

mako_media_09.thumb.jpg.ba0b5cf801b4a6ab6efb94968b3e5e7b.jpg

And I love all the shark-themed treats!

mako_media_10.thumb.jpg.44c4d98038338b9c64eb8d4f655b83c7.jpg

Here you can see some concept art sitting in front of Kraken!

mako_media_11.thumb.jpg.1076ad3884015814f53316718e1323a3.jpg

Brian Marrow explains that a ride going 73 MPH is actually quite a milestone for Orlando. It will be the first coaster in the area to break 70 MPH.

mako_media_12.thumb.jpg.a19409592d379d0a5babfaebd399dcaa.jpg

Take a look at the entrance area now compared to the concept art above.

mako_media_13.thumb.jpg.9346bdb88606a2e4af6060305c83e4c7.jpg

This is the area where the coaster track will eventually fly overhead!

mako_media_14.thumb.jpg.c43ec77d533d71186e397f3686e2fb5d.jpg

As a special treat today, we are being taken up in a bucket to the height of Mako!

mako_media_15.thumb.jpg.aec947913efc27b5f2dd1315f813c069.jpg

Up, up we go! 200 feet in the air!

mako_media_16.thumb.jpg.608eb65d4071776579ae634548e4849d.jpg

From the lift of Mako, you'll be able to get AWESOME views of Kraken, just like this one!

mako_media_17.thumb.jpg.2d2715ef58c34a6b80192aeed4761bfa.jpg

The view from Mako will be fantastic!

mako_media_18.thumb.jpg.3de5404a6c30fb5cddf8f14f8588e89f.jpg

Mako will pretty much follow the tree-line. Go out to I-Drive, turn left, and then come back.

mako_media_19.thumb.jpg.0877d79b24988673b48aa2e6341dd2b5.jpg

I kept taking photos of Kraken because this was such an awesome view!

mako_media_20.thumb.jpg.4f4e290e01187768c7a785f5b903c997.jpg

Figured I might as well get some other shots of the park from this vantage point!

mako_media_21.thumb.jpg.2d9045c243a41c3b08a915c90670d01f.jpg

Mako's Lift hill will be just to the left of that pond.

mako_media_22.thumb.jpg.8f7349d59e5e5916278659d2fe2dc394.jpg

Mako, Manta, and Kraken! These three coasters will give Universal down the road some competition for best thrills in Orlando!

mako_media_23.thumb.jpg.855e0a220aed6bacacfe3e453f4b15a7.jpg

The latest expansion, Antarctica, as seen from the newest expansion, Mako!

mako_media_24.thumb.jpg.e9bb91d4bdb2422055cc6098f408d6f5.jpg

And one last pic of Kraken...just because!

Below are some higher-res versions of the concept art...

NorthPortal.thumb.jpg.a7d2f7128b785cc1d02218092dfc4275.jpg

PlazaBirdseye.thumb.jpg.50d1f88b64c6a301f27e53c869b45731.jpg

RideBirdseye.thumb.jpg.5ae2df5f70aa5dc574211a1249ed1e4e.jpg

RideEntry.thumb.jpg.7ea7cd100b87d7cbe02a02ed056e77da.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Looks awesome! Sea World really proved themselves with Manta, so I can't wait to see the finished ride and area.

I noticed in the POV video that whoever's presenting refers to the 'music and the score surrounding riders' as they turn over the water at the end of the ride. I wonder if we're talking on-board audio (i.e. Hollywood Dream) or just music in the ride area.

Mako looks great. SeaWorld always has the best looking concept art.

What makes the SeaWorld and Busch parks so great is that they consistently live up to the concept art.

Looks like a great addition to SeaWorld. It won't top any lists, but it should be hugely popular with both GP and the enthusiasts. It also has great marketing potential. I also love the name and the theming around the entrance!

I was going to say that not much could really drive me back to SeaWorld since I have not been since 2011; however, this actually looks really well done, and very fun! I am loving the color scheme, the cool modern art-deco style zero car, and the layout itself is really pleasing. That bunny hop before the MCBR looks promising!

Cannot wait to see how SeaWorld pulls this one off because it looks ah-may-zing.

Yay! A new B&M 5 miles from me! And it's the floater airtime version.

Seaworld will now have 3 insanely reridable B&Ms with very short lines and good theming. Curse whoever mentioned the Morgan Hyper-lite but this will be great too and I can already tell that Brian and his team are gonna make this fit in as well as Manta did.

Honestly, my biggest hope for this ride is an attendance jump. Seaworld with a new B&M (and Sea Lion High) and Busch Gardens with a new Mack coaster should look mighty attractive to vacationers. With Universal opening Kong and Epcot opening Frozen, next year could be a marketing frenzy.

Its going to be an insane ride once it opens and will be a great addition to SeaWorlds collection of B&M coasters.I can't wait to see what it looks like when It's finished! When I saw Relentless Airtime in the Video reveal I was like "omg". I was waiting for something like this to happen in Florida! My pass will be good by then too!

The elusive hyper coaster finally coming to Florida. Here I thought Busch Gardens was the one to build a hyper first. Great addition to Sea World should be a crowd pleaser. Now the post BF healing can begin. Busch makes their attraction announcement tomorrow. Its a great time to be a pass holder.

Curse whoever mentioned the Morgan Hyper-lite but this will be great too

I was the one that mentioned it would be great if it was Hyper GTX..oh well it looks to be a fabulous coaster.

and don't forget Universal's NEW Water Park and the 450ft Starflyer!! it's going to be insane next year!

Edited by MrNemis2003

Wow, I love it! B&Ms have always been my favorite type of coasters, and my all-time favorite is Leviathan, so I welcome any new speed coasters to the United States. I am very surprised it took so long for a hyper coaster to appear in Florida, and coaster fans and park guests alike will enjoy this new type of thrill to the Florida area: airtime!

I also like the fact that the three B&M coasters have a bit of uniform naming with sea creatures, Kraken, Manta, and now Mako. They all will compliment eachother nicely.

This is also probably one of the more interesting new color schemes I can remember in recent years.

Obviously not anything mindblowing but looks like a really fun ride, long as it's not too trimmed which new B&M hypers seem to be avoiding thankfully. It is a nice layout, has all a hyper really needs, lots of hills, decent speed and the few turns are a nice touch.

Even though I was hoping for an Intamin, I really don't even care anymore.. the concept art looks stunning and will probably look just as great once it's done! I love that they are redoing the area around Shark Encounter because it's so unnatural and I love that SeaWorld is starting to theme SWO and make it like an actual "sea world" instead of just ugly buildlings. I wonder if they are doing anything with the shark encounter itself! (Would love a 360 degree tunnel to combat the one at Sea Life)! Anyways, this is awesome and I love the color choice. Couldn't be happier, but now the waiting part comes in!

SeaWorld really wasn't kidding when they said they were going to be more agressively investing in their Orlando and San Diego locations. This coaster in addition to the Blue World project are making some great waves for SeaWorld, it's great to see the company back on their feet again!