TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kolmården Discussion Thread

That does not sound promising! :/ Reminds me a little about some of the situations Bakken had, when they wanted to install a new coaster. Rumors said they were going to build a decent launched coaster in the logflume area, but the plans were cancelled because of almoust the same issues as Kolmården now are having. Why can't they just let us have some awesome coasters out in the woods!!?! :'(

Well, the owners of the park has said it will be built. It might just open a little late.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wildfire case won't be treated until late spring/early summer, maybe even later, so until then there isn't really anything more we can do than to wait

Also, as I said earlier, the Land and Environment Court isn't really any easy people to please. Just the fact that Kolmården thinks they have a case strong enough to go through it says a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

I a new interview Christer Fogelmarck from Park & Resorts said that production for the ride has been stopped at the factories in Holland and the U.S. He also said that he hadn't given up hope and was hoping to start up again later this summer. If they don't get the green-light they would have to look over the zoning plan to see what it says.

• 3 weeks later...

And all hopes of ever getting Wildfire to open sometime in 2016 is officially gone I'm afraid.

The park appealed to the higher Land and Environment Court and they were awaiting a hearing sometime this summer. It has however now been decided by "Supreme" Land and Environment Court that a small group of people who own a private road a bit further down the park has he right to appeal the project. Their right to appeal was overruled earlier by both the County Board and the Land and Environment Court.

But now it has been decided that they should be allowed to appeal, and the case will go back to the County Board again.

I'm not really following all the different directions this is taking, but I think that the case must now be treated by the County Board again before the Land and Environment Court can treat it, I don't think they will treat it parallel with each other. And we all know that the County Board isn't really that enthusiastic about the project as well..

I'm really starting to feel that Parks and Resorts should just invest the Wildfire money in the other parks for the next years, and start making a proper zoning plan for Kolmården, and then get Wildfire of the ground. There is just to much bureaucracy in this country..

If this coaster is delayed past 2016, how does that work for RMC? I know they are a small-ish company that only does 2-3 coasters a year and to lose one of those coasters could be damaging to their business. I can't imagine that Kolmarden is on the hook for the money if the coaster can't be built, but I have no idea how these contracts work. Would RMC manufacture the track and ship it into storage until all the zoning issues are worked out? Would RMC be able to move another project up a year?

^ Things like this happen all the time. Rides get delayed, sometimes contracts get moved to other parks that the owners have in their portfolio, etc. Just look at a ride like Gold Striker, that was delayed YEARS and almost cancelled but it still happened. I have been assured by the park owners that this ride will happen, but maybe not quite in the timeframe they originally wanted. Nothing that is going on here is really that out of the ordinary, we just don't hear about these issues that often.

Nothing that is going on here is really that out of the ordinary, we just don't hear about these issues that often.

Reading through the articles and complaints, I think back to Ravine Flyer II. That ride got caught up in the court system and in the public eye for almost ten years with similar objections. I'm willing to bet the people in power at Kolmarden have done their homework, and while this prolonged process is not ideal, I'm sure they are ready for the battle. You simply don't get as far along in the planning and early construction phases for a signature attraction without covering your bases as much as you can. I have faith in the project. Maybe not for 2016, but I have not found myself in the group seriously doubting the project for the future. Hopefully this process can resolve itself faster than a decade.

And last time I checked, Gravity Group did just fine not having this particular coaster built in the years between 2005 and 2008.

Yeah, think of Ravine Flyer II at Waldameer. Took so long to get through all the complaints from the neighboring RV park or whatever, the permission to go over a road, environmental surveys... But we finally got one of the best wooden coasters out there... eventually.

If this coaster is delayed past 2016, how does that work for RMC? I know they are a small-ish company that only does 2-3 coasters a year and to lose one of those coasters could be damaging to their business. I can't imagine that Kolmarden is on the hook for the money if the coaster can't be built, but I have no idea how these contracts work. Would RMC manufacture the track and ship it into storage until all the zoning issues are worked out? Would RMC be able to move another project up a year?

All work at the factory has stopped, and they are working to solve the problem. They will however loose the money if the ride can't proceed, but most likely they would get an "credit" of the money not already spent on Wildfire and move the RMC to another park in the chain. I don't think it will come to that thankfully, but nevertheless the project will be more expensive with the delays.

All the people at RMC seem to be awesome stand up guys, and I feel very confident that as soon as the permit for Wildfire comes they will all work their asses off to get it manufactured asap!

• 3 weeks later...

The following was posted on the Wildfire Blog a few days ago, suggesting they're still aiming to open it at some point next year.

The process of our awaited construction of Wildfire and planned launch in 2016 has now been intensified. We hope for a positive decision from the authorities in the next months. We’ll keep you posted, hold on!

cheering_minions.gif.d845df0821d56aa96888829bcf1502cb.gif

Great! Now, I assume it's a bit too late for a 2016 opening, right?

I think it is definitely possible, maybe not opening in May, but certainly during 2016.

I read an article a few days ago, when the Land and Enviorment court visited the park, who said a ruling would come during August. Even if they have gotten a preliminary yes now I don't think they can start building until the court have ruled a final yes.