Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

P. 107: Runaway Tram (Family coaster) coming in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Sat May 09, 2015 7:31 am

I rode Kamikaze a few times when it was on Hunts Pier. That was 25 years ago! (I'm old!)

I always remember it as being a good ride, but I could certainly tolerate a lot more back when I was 13 lol.

I've long defended Nor'easter as being a decent ride, especially with the newer vest restraints. Huge upgrade. But I have to say on my few rides in 2014, the trains had such an insane rattle I legitimately feared for my safety and I'm very leery of going back on.
Last edited by boldikus on Sat May 09, 2015 7:34 am.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Sat May 09, 2015 7:34 am

I thought the new trains helped on the great ne
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:58 am

I rode it in 2013, and I actually liked the Nor'easter. I could tell how miserable it would be without the new restraints.

Postby boldikus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:00 am

I was in Wildwood at my folks place all weekend and actually made it up to the piers Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon and had a fantastic time, pretty much my favorite park trip this year (with our Pilgrimage to the Point being the exception of course). I moved to my new house this past April and while packing I discovered a whopping 5 (!!) ticket cards, all with random balances on them. I was able to combine all five of them onto one card and it turned out I had about 250 tickets. Score! I haven't visited the island since the piers have been open this year so needless to say I was ready for riding.

I didn't get down to Wildwood til 7pm on Friday and my bro-in-law and I didn't get up to the piers til 9pm (the piers close at midnight) and had some great night rides. We started on Adventure Pier with The Great White, first trying a back seat ride in the red train, then walking around for the blue train. Last year I felt the red train was running better but our 2nd ride on the blue train Friday that thing was tearing through the course. Obviously after this we had to hit up the Screaming Swing because its right next door and easily the best flat on the three piers. I'm so glad its no longer an upcharge, I want to ride it over and over. After this we headed to Mariners to do the Riptide pirate ship ride and while I still think its a great installation it felt tame after the intensity of the Screaming Swing. Our ride on this was made fun by watching/listening to the woman reluctantly riding with her son in front of us, screaming for dear life. After working up an appetite we stopped for some Macks Pizza because its the best and then we went drinking, off the boardwalk, to close out the night.

Saturday was another lazy day involving the beach, day drinking and a huge family dinner, so we ended up not getting up to the piers til 10pm. Adventure Pier is closest to my folks place so we usually start/end there, so again we started with the Great White. If you haven't been to Wildwood you should know that - similar to Dorney - there are basically never waits longer than 5-15 minutes for any rides. Most of the time everything is a walk on. So it would come as a complete surprise that we walked up to the Great White to find the never used queue completely full and spilling out onto the midway. We said "screw it" and waited which is just such a weird thing in Wildwood, but the line moved and we got on in about 25 minutes. We had another amazing ride on the blue train in the last car. Somehow it felt even wilder than our ride on Friday night. Since the line was so long we gave up hopes for a second lap and headed for the Screaming Swing again - a walk on. We couldn't get enough and since no one was waiting the ride ops let us stay in our seats and just swiped my card while we waited for them to fire it back up. So so so fun.

I was really looking forward to trying the new KONG flyers that Moreys installed this year as they built a store and put the flyers up on top of it. So after our adventures on Adventure Pier we took the loooong stroll all the way down the boardwalk to Surfside Pier to check out the new ride. What a GREAT job they did with this, it looks absolutely fantastic at night. I wish I had remembered to bring my camera but I did not so I have no good photos of it at night. It had a decent line, not surprising for their new ride. We waited about 15 minutes.

The centerpiece is a giant Kong figure hanging off of a lighthouse, wearing an "I <3 WW" t-shirt, and holding a Wildwood tramcar in his fist, and the vehicles are themed to sharks. They have a really nice lighting package on it (including lights under the vehicles), smoke billowing out of Kongs nose, and when the ride starts they pipe in the sound of a propeller plane taking off. During the boarding shpeil they mentioned "intentionally slacking the cables will result in your removal from the ride" lol. They run a pretty good, lengthy cycle and we were able to really get our boats moving, almost snapping the cables a few times and then I got it once really good right before the cycle ended. We had such a great time on this, the added height of the ride placement on top of the store (which, keep in mind, is on the boardwalk 15 feet above the beach) majorly adds to the thrill. The themeing is sooooo Wildwood it fits perfectly, its been so long since I've been this jazzed about a new ride @ Morey's.

Check out this POV and offride that I found on YouTube (hope its cool to post them here) to get a sense of the placement of the ride and the awesome lighting.

After our awesome ride on KONG, we decided the best way to end the night would be to hop on their crazy Larson drop tower, Atmosfear. This thing is only 140 feet but its so incredibly forceful and insane its the only ride on all three piers that makes me a little nervous beforehand. It drops so fast and forcefully and stops on a dime. After a quick stop at Khor Bros around midnight for a chocolate-on-chocolate custard, we slowly wandered back home to get some sleep.

On Sunday we decided to take my just-about-2 year old nephew up to Surfside Pier so he could get a bunch of rides in on the kiddie rides. Myself, my sister, and my bro-in-law all took turns joining him on them lol so not only did I get to ride Happy Feet, a Zamperla 'Happy Swing' ride but I also took my first ride on the Jump Around, also a Zamperla themed to baja buggies, where the entire ride leaned to one side when I climbed into the tiny seat LMAO.

It's amazing to see these piers and rides through my nephews eyes, it gives me a whole new appreciation for it all. We were bummed when we figured out he is just an inch shy of riding the Flitzer and Doo Wopper (wild mouse) coasters w/ an adult. Maybe next year. :/ I'm not 100% sure he is even ready for that yet! But he will be - the kid loves rides, he has this look of simultaneous bewilderment and impending protein spill when he rides anything, but cries when its over and repeats "again, again!" We always say its in his blood.

Tom and I also used this Sunday afternoon trip to get back on the KONG flyers again and all three of us took turns doing that crazyass drop tower Atmosfear again. Good times.

The Great Nor'easter (SLC for the unfamiliar) seemed to be closed all weekend. We *almost* rode it Sunday afternoon but it was shut down completely. I didn't see it run at all over the weekend that I recall. I meant to ask someone what was up but I didn't care that much and totally forgot about it. A new food vendor that I discovered opened recently at the front of Adventure Pier is a Beaver Tail truck. I was so stoked to find this as when planning our Cedar Point trip I had read these were a must-do and we totally skipped them. So I got to try a Beaver Tail! My toppings were chocolate hazelnut, peanut butter and Reeses Pieces because YUM. I will definitely have another. We also stopped at Idaho Potatoes across from the entrance to Mariners Pier because they have the best fries on the planet. Wildwood has so much great boardwalk food!

Overall we had a great time at Morey's this weekend. Ive said it here before but I feel that this park is very underrated in the enthusiast community. If you haven't been and you are looking for a summer getaway, don't hesitate. Their three big coasters may include an SLC and a Boomerang, but their woodie is fantastic, they have a great flat collection, and like Cedar Point, the location on the beach is amazing not to mention the food and atmosphere overall is a huge part of its charm. I might be going back this weekend! ;)

Total weekend ride count:

The Great White 3x
Screaming Swing 3x
Kong 2x
Atmosfear 2x
Riptide 1x
Happy Feet 1x
Jump Around 1x

Unfortunately we didnt take really many photos, but here is a few fun visuals we did manage to catch.
01 adventure friday.gif
Friday night. Adventure Pier beckons. Left to right: the Great White, Skycoaster, Screaming Swing, and their Sling Shot.
02 giant wheel.gif
Their Giant Wheel (a Vekoma) is 160 feet tall & provides amazing views of the island you can't get unless you are in a plane, but I can never be bothered to wait in line for it. They do a "Breakfast in the Sky" thing where you can eat a whole meal on it. It always blows my mind that El Toros first drop is bigger than this.
03 great white sunday.gif
We took zero pictures on Saturday night but here we are back at it on Sunday.
04 mariners sunday.JPG
Mariners Landing. I have a fantasy of them ripping out the painful Sea Serpent (boomerang) and putting in a modest Intamin launcher ala Xcelerator. But alas, this ^ is the "iconic" Wildwood boardwalk shot so that will never happen.
05 moryes sundayu.JPG
Surfside Pier has lots of cool flats. KONG is peaking out from his new home in the middle of the pier.
06 moreys sunday 2.JPG
"IT" (yes, thats what they called the ride) is a KMC Fireball and I really want to ride it but my aversion to spinny things has not allowed that to happen
07 happy feet sunday.jpg
But I'll ride some kiddie rides!
08 jump around sunday.gif
I still cannot believe they allowed me to climb on this thing.
09 kong off ride.JPG
KONG looks awesome! I tried to get a shot of it running but I got impatient.
10 kong boats.jpg
The vehicles look great at night with the lights underneath them.
11 splashgif.gif
And a quick splash from the flume before we grab some eats and head home. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by boldikus on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:46 am.

Annoying, impatient and needs to be kicked by a donkey.

Postby I305forever » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:23 am

Cool photos. Judging by them (I have never been there) it seems like they would have enough space to build that woodie they have been talking about for the past 5 years or even an RMC.
Still confused about why vekomas headquarters hasn't been burnt down by an angry mob of enthusiasts

Postby boldikus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:30 am

^ Its actually been talked about since 2008! If there is one thing Morey's excels at its cramming as many rides into the space they have available. Their SLC has custom supports so that it could be built right into/over their waterpark. (not my photo)

They most definitely could make space for that woodie. They have an entire 4th pier they use for storage and maintenance. They could really use a new coaster. I'll be ecstatic if it happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:33 am

^ I agree with that "Not holding my breath statement." I've been holding out ever since that GCI rumor surfaced.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Postby boldikus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:45 pm

I'm pretty sure it was initially supposed to be a 2010 addition, and then that got pushed back to 2013, and then they just stopped talking about it. I'd love to see an RMC but I doubt they would go in that direction. Morey's tends to go for rides that have more of a family/boardwalk feel to them - the Ghost Ship was a proper replacement for Draculas Castle, the KONG flyers fit into that, a classic woodie fits and is exactly what they could use right now. The post made on the Moreys' FB page by Jack Morey himself (screenshot on previous page) hopefully points toward something, but then again they are kinda like the boy who cried wolf at this point.

Postby boldikus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:48 am

I was back down in Wildwood this weekend and we made it up to the piers two times on Saturday - once in the afternoon for some rides, arcade action, day drinking and Macks pizza of course, and then again at night after a delicious seafood dinner, for night rides and boardwalk junk store browsing, and more awesome boardwalk food. Lines weren't as bad compared to last weekend and we had a great time. In fact all weekend was great. I love Wildwood. I took a handful of photos.

Ride totals for the day

Great White 3xs
Screaming Swing 4xs
KONG flyers 1xs (got kicked off for snapping. doh!)
DSC05593.JPG
Yeah I know. Same old same old.
DSC05600.JPG
Great White was running really well today, especially our rides at night. I guess you can rent these balls and climb inside and roll around on the beach. Seemed busier at night.
DSC05604.JPG
The Boardwalk Mall is always fun to get out of the heat. Some weird stores and has a great arcade in the basement.
DSC05612.JPG
We stopped at Capt'n Jacks Boardwalk Grill. I've always wanted to stop in here. We wound up not eating but instead having a liquid lunch. This is lemonade with blueberry infused vodka. Yum.
DSC05615.JPG
And more lemonade (this time topped with a Twisted Tea, as you can see)
DSC05617.JPG
Nor'easter was busy today, but I didn't ride. I didn't feel like going through an airport security checkpoint just to ride an SLC.
DSC05621.JPG
It was nice & windy, perfect for Flyers.
DSC05625.jpg
On the left, having fun...
DSC05626.JPG
right before they sternly reprimanded me over the PA system, and shut down the ride :(
DSC05628.JPG
We had some incredible night rides on this bad bwoy. Til next time!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:14 am

Awesome how the gulls flying near Great White are illuminated by it.
Been you to have any spike, man?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!