TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kolmården Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The park is right next to the reserves yes, but it's not part of them. As I wrote the park is already heavily built. The ride is also far from as big as people are making it out to be in their appeals. It will only take up 7 520 square meters, and the tallest point above the ground is 33 meters. It can't be seen from any of the local residents, and independent sound experts have given it green light for both animals and residents.

What Länsstyrelsen said in the appeal is that they wanted more information, and once that is given it will get the go-ahead. Maybe they will win the appeal and it's happening even sooner, because I'm guessing they will provide a crapload of more information in the appeal than they did in the original application.

Yes, Kolmården already is a highly developed area, but Wildfire will be on a totally different scale and a new element in the landscape = Länsstyrelsen will bitch about every tiny detail.

But they need more information in order to make a proper decision regarding the permit...? That doesn't mean they have a green light, unfortunately.

I don't even know why this discussion is taking place. I have been assured by the owners of the park "Don't worry, the ride will be built."

There really doesn't need to be any argument, does there?

I wouldn't be too sure about it, especially since: 1. They have been fined around 100,000 USD because they started building without a permit. 2. If everything would be totally fine their CEO wouldn't go out in the media and do remarks like "we'll close down the park if we don't get a permit" Source

Simply put, they're not in the best of situations right now.

I wouldn't be too sure about it, especially since: 1. They have been fined around 100,000 USD because they started building without a permit. 2. If everything would be totally fine their CEO wouldn't go out in the media and do remarks like "we'll close down the park if we don't get a permit" Source

Honestly if the park owners are confident it will be built I'm going to side with them. If they were not confident that the ride would be built they would have stopped already. Pretty much every construction project has issues wether it be planning issues or construction issues so something like this is no surprise and I'm sure they will come to a compromise to satisfy all parties involved.

I don't even know why this discussion is taking place. I have been assured by the owners of the park "Don't worry, the ride will be built."

There really doesn't need to be any argument, does there?

Oh, ok. I get it. You know more than the park owners are telling me. Right. Please....continue making your comments and quoting source material. Myself? I'll just chat with the park owners themselves.

Edited by robbalvey

Oh, ok. I get it. You know more than the park owners are telling me. Right. Please....continue making your comments and quoting source material. Myself? I'll just chat with the park owners themselves.

No, probably not. But I have studied urban planning for 5 years so I know how bad it could get if Länsstyrelsen demand a new local plan. That stuff is not done over a night....

No, I really don't. But I have studied urban planning for 5 years so I know how bad it could get if Länsstyrelsen demand a new local plan. That stuff is not done over a night....

Fixed.

Robb isn't saying they're going to start building tomorrow. He's stating that the OWNER'S OF THE PARK said it will be built. Reading Comprehension goes a long way.

^ While I appreciate your efforts, you can't fix stupid.

If Slem wants to continue whatever drama crusade he's on, let him. He'll soon find out he'll be continuing his efforts on some other forum.

I mean, after all, studying urban planning for 5 years automatically makes you a theme park development expert, right?

Edited by robbalvey

I mean, after all, studying urban planning for 5 years automatically makes you a theme park development expert, right?

Still off topic, but I have to say, I've been doing an intensive research project on marrying both of those things for my undergraduate thesis, and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Really? Chill out everybody. Isn't the basic concept of having a forum to have discussions?

Do I want Wildfire to be built? Yes. Do I think Kolmården will get a permit? Probably. But it could take a lot of time, meaning Parks and resorts have to invest A LOT of resources (i.e. time and money) = the project might get economically unprofitable = alternations might occur. So I rather discuss the issues around the project to get a better comprehension than listening to one person (who has clear personal interests in the question) and get super disappoited if something goes horribly wrong.

Best regards,

the cynic

Really? Chill out everybody. Isn't the basic concept of having a forum to have discussions?

And with that obnoxious comment, Slem can go find another theme park forum to post his crusade at. Goodbye!

His avatar was beyond annoying anyway.

Edited by robbalvey

^Thank you! It's just so annoying to hear him literally argue over every little detail of how this ride will not be built when the park owners have clearly stated that it will be built.

Besides, I don't really think it's that big of a deal that the opening may get delayed, i'll be happy if I ride it.

I am just so sad that a small group of people, not even living in this area, are taking a stand against the roller coaster using irrelevant arguments, such as "Kolmården should always just be a zoo just as it is". The problem is that the park is now privately owned and need profit to be economically sustainable. As the weather is in Sweden, the park can only get income during June, July and August, but the elephants, dolphins etc. needs both care, food, heated facilities and training during the whole year - which is a very large outlay. Kolmården needs a larger target group so they can get more visitors. This means they can invest in more attractions and animal exhibits. Bamses World which we can see on the photos in this thread will secure the smaller children and wildfire the older children. All together Kolmården will be able to attract the whole family. This is why the CEO said that Kolmården dosen't have any future without Wildfire or other further expansions. It won't be economically justifiable to spend more money on animal exhibit without any increase in visitors. Since 2007 Kolmården spent 550 millions Swedish crowns (around 55 million US dollars) in development in the park.

Now we're just waiting for the environment court to take up this case. The owners have the economical strength to wait and build it to 2017 if necessary - and I am sure it will be built - but it will be the first time Parks and Resorts isn't done with a project 1 May when season starts - even after a rough winter. It will be disappointing for the park, but I am sure it will be a huge success anyway when it's done.

I thought I might go through what the appeal from Kolmården contains:

- None of the reasons Länsstyrelsen highlights makes Wildfire in need of a zoning plan.

- Wildfire is one single project and should not be put together with other park development and their impact.

- Wildfire is going to be built in an already highly exploited area and can not be comparable with building in untouched nature.

- Wildfire will be built in one of the worlds largest and most visited zoo-areas, right next to other attractions including a roller coaster.

- Wildfire will not be as high as it looks on paper, it will only be 33 meters over land - the drop will be 57 meters because of the terrain.

-Questions regarding the infrastructure and parking with an increase in visitors should not be taken in to account in this separate project. A solution is under way by the City of Norrköping.

Sweden is the worlds most bureaucratic country and this can take some time but I am sure it will be built - hopefully opening 2016.

Hope you got a better picture of the situation, and welcome to Sweden when it's done

It's tough for zoos all over because they attract a very specific type of guest. Even the small amusement area they're building now will help to broaden Kolmården's appeal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This area looks sweet! Nice amount of details, and the selection of rides looks decent. What about the Wildfire plans, anyone know anything about the issues? Are we going to see Wildfire running in 2016? (If there is a god, we will!)

This area looks sweet! Nice amount of details, and the selection of rides looks decent. What about the Wildfire plans, anyone know anything about the issues? Are we going to see Wildfire running in 2016? (If there is a god, we will!)

I haven't seen anything about it in the Swedish media for some time now.

That does not sound promising! :/ Reminds me a little about some of the situations Bakken had, when they wanted to install a new coaster. Rumors said they were going to build a decent launched coaster in the logflume area, but the plans were cancelled because of almoust the same issues as Kolmården now are having. Why can't they just let us have some awesome coasters out in the woods!!?! :'(