TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

TPR was invited to check out the progress on Twisted Colossus today. It's looking great so far, it looks like it's a little more than halfway done. Lots of work was being to done today on the "Top Gun" inversion, we were told that should be completed very soon!

Check out the photos:

Wow the double down looks so weird, and GREAT

Is California going to have a new best coaster? It certainly looks like it! If I only get to one new for 2015 coaster this year, I'm glad it's Twisted Colossus. Hopefully there's just two more months to go before we can ride this thing.

It might be only a very close 2nd to WC, but the pacing on that ride looks like it will be ridiculous. Its safe to say, though, when you get an RMC, you get a world class airtime machine! Will be very happy to ride this guy later in the fall

This is looking a little ahead into the future, but knowing the next new coaster will be the park's 20th, they'll have to go with something really really spectacular. I'm actually starting to think a new B&M giga like Leviathan and Fury would make a great addition to the park.

i'd love a giga, but has six flags spent anywhere near the amount on one coaster anytime recently?

My best guess would be Kingda Ka which opened 10 years ago. They spent I believe, $25 million on it.

Head choppers galore!

I can't wait to hear the SoCal GP's reaction to this ride. I have a feeling some reactions are going to be hilarious.

I'm pretty sure many are going to think its dangerous. I don't know if its a So Cal thing, but many many people I talk to don't like the feeling of airtime. Maybe it's why SFMM has more inversions than any other park in the world? If anything it will keep lines shorter for the ride! (dreaming, I know).

Head choppers galore!

I can't wait to hear the SoCal GP's reaction to this ride. I have a feeling some reactions are going to be hilarious.

I'm pretty sure many are going to think its dangerous. I don't know if its a So Cal thing, but many many people I talk to don't like the feeling of airtime. Maybe it's why SFMM has more inversions than any other park in the world? If anything it will keep lines shorter for the ride! (dreaming, I know).

If they're from So Cal, how would they even know what airtime feels like?

^HAH! Good one! But for example, many people I know don't like Goliath, Xcelerator, and drop towers, all because of 'that feeling they get going down the drops.'

^^Does SFMM really have a reputation for cutting costs on rides? I mean, Full Throttle DOES seem like half a ride but...

Riddler is still the longest/tallest/fastest standup.

Tatsu is the longest flyer.

X2 is certainly one of a kind and definitely was when it was built. It wasn't/isn't cheap either.

They are going through great pains to keep Ninja alive and well.

TC is the longest RMC to date.

I'm sure theres more, and I know its easy to make fun of SFMM, but...I don't get the whole 'cutting costs' argument on rides. We have rides of all different legnth...many of which are unique in their own right.

^^ Yeah, SFMM could have put in a Larson Loop and called it a day.

Personally, I think the trend of re-packaging old rides into new, more marketable ones will continue (X2, Superman, TC) before we see number 20. It's a concept the park actually excels at.

Riddler is still the longest/tallest/fastest standup.

Tatsu is the longest flyer.

X2 is certainly one of a kind and definitely was when it was built. It wasn't/isn't cheap either.

These were all constructed and/or planned during the Premier era though if I'm not mistaken. My cost cutting argument spans across all Six Flags parks, I wasn't just singling out MM. There's been a palpable shrinkage in coaster budgets for Six Flags parks in the post-Premier era

Kingda Ka totalled $50 million after two years, combined with $20 million for El Toro, the park spent $70 million in two years. That was under Premier, however, and current management doesn't really top $15 million on any park in a year, and only hits ~$90 million for the chain annually.

Bottom line, unless there is another change in management or the park starts absolutely raking in profits, a giga coaster is out of the question.

(Yes, this is official info. Great Adventure released it during this year's Winter Adventure)

Kingda Ka totalled $50 million after two years, combined with $20 million for El Toro, the park spent $70 million in two years. That was under Premier, however, and current management doesn't really top $15 million on any park in a year, and only hits ~$90 million for the chain annually.

Bottom line, unless there is another change in management or the park starts absolutely raking in profits, a giga coaster is out of the question.

(Yes, this is official info. Great Adventure released it during this year's Winter Adventure)

Makes me hopeful that SFMM will focus more on keeping their rides in good shape. But they won't. Just wait for the day that they let TC's paint fade and run on one train with a MCBR added to replace the Top Gun Stall.

Oh I mean Giga Coaster? Yeaaa awesome

Head choppers galore!

Below are some verbatim examples from instagram comments on photos of Twisted Colossus (I won't post usernames because I'm not a jerk)-

"That sh!t look bent"

"Yup someone's gonna die on there."

"sorry but how can i prevent to get backache on the green track "

"The green part, was it supposed to look like that? (The bent/messed up part)"

"omg that does look concerning"

So yes, I agree! Once the ride is open, the GP's reactions will be incredible!

Just trash Goliath for a Giga later on in the future. That ride's a huge, underwhelming, mess of track.

I'd rather have them take Viper out and build a ultra long coaster that takes its foot print goes over the rapids ride and where Deja Vu was. I don't know how logical or practical this is, but I think it could fit something the size/length of Fury 325. However every ride can't be on the extreme end of the scale either and for now I think theres a solid mix of everything asides kiddie/family rides.

I look at the "High Five" section hundreds of times a day, and coming both into it from 1st drop and going away on the green track really looks like it will be waking some people up and saying WTF was I thinking and lets go get back in line again.

Just trash Goliath for a Giga later on in the future. That ride's a huge, underwhelming, mess of track.

Goliath is a crowd favorite. Not my favorite by a longshot.

Replacing Goliath for a Giga would be a great exchange IMO, but, it is just not going to happen.

Wish the park would have waited instead of trying to bring a record breaker. Goliath has so much potential but just falls short.