Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1467: "Halloween Marathon of Mayhem" HHN show announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
token black guy

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby jarmor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:07 am

That's huge?
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:15 am

Jew wrote:^By that logic, anyone who stays at a deluxe WDW resort would never visit any of Disney's waterparks because they already have a nice pool and water slide on their property.

me wrote:If we're going to compare to Disney World, WDW doesn't allow pool hopping.

You can't compare a full size water park to a resorts pool.

Depends on how big this full size water park turns out to be when the attractions are actually announced. Having a really cool lazy river would be nice. You know who would have one for free? Cabana Bay, and regardless of which UO resort I stay at, I can use it. Maybe they kill pool hopping to encourage use of the water park. They might do that! And my excitement for a new water park if I end up with both A) no poolhopping B) no more Wet N'Wild is gonna be super low. I say this as a guest who has favored Uni over Disney in recently years as my Orlando amusement resort of choice.

I'm not saying it's a lock they will leave Wet'N'Wild open, but I don't think it's a sure thing at this point with UO trying to grow as a resort.

I would love for it to stay open, and until I hear it is closing I'm just going to hope it doesn't.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby djmadmanray » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:33 am

The best thing about Kelly is that she doesn't care about her size. She sounded great and the show was awesome. We loved it!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Norwegian coasterfan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:45 am

I am planning a trip to Orlando next year and i am wondering how the crowds are in January?

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:46 am

Yeah, Kelly totally rocks! She puts on a great show. We are planning to make her Christmas show here in Nashville a family tradition. Such a great personality.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:45 pm

Depends on how big this full size water park turns out to be when the attractions are actually announced. Having a really cool lazy river would be nice. You know who would have one for free? Cabana Bay, and regardless of which UO resort I stay at, I can use it. Maybe they kill pool hopping to encourage use of the water park. They might do that! And my excitement for a new water park if I end up with both A) no poolhopping B) no more Wet N'Wild is gonna be super low. I say this as a guest who has favored Uni over Disney in recently years as my Orlando amusement resort of choice.

I'm still not sure where you are going with the argument having a nice pool at a hotel automatically eliminates the possibility a guest would go to a water park as well.

Will some budget minded people pass on a water park ticket because their hotel offers an experience close enough? Sure. But that's such a small segment of the piece of the pie Universal is trying to bring to its property. If I am spending $400/night on a hotel for a holiday weekend vacation (that's how much Portofino Bay is going for on 4th of July weekend), $30 for a water park ticket isn't going to kill me. THAT would be the type of spender Universal would hope to attract *IF* this water park happens to be qausi-exclusive to resort guests.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby OrlandoGuy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:07 pm

DirkFunk wrote:
Jew wrote:^By that logic, anyone who stays at a deluxe WDW resort would never visit any of Disney's waterparks because they already have a nice pool and water slide on their property.

me wrote:If we're going to compare to Disney World, WDW doesn't allow pool hopping.

You can't compare a full size water park to a resorts pool.

I'm not saying it's a lock they will leave Wet'N'Wild open, but I don't think it's a sure thing at this point with UO trying to grow as a resort.

I would love for it to stay open, and until I hear it is closing I'm just going to hope it doesn't.

I dont get it...are you trying to say that everyone who goes to waterparks doesn't have access to a regular pool? I fail to see how someone staying at Cabana Bay (or has access to Cabana Bay's lazy river) is going to pass up on going to a full-fledged, highly-themed water park with several large-scale slide attractions and a freakin volcano at the centerpiece because there's a free lazy river at Cabana Bay. I mean, can you honestly say that the rides at Wet N Wild or Blizzard Beach are comparable to the dinky slides in the Universal resort pools..?

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:14 am

Jew wrote:I'm still not sure where you are going with the argument having a nice pool at a hotel automatically eliminates the possibility a guest would go to a water park as well.

If someone staying at All Star has the option of going to use the Yacht/Beach Club Pool or Boardwalk and so on for free, they're less likely to spend money on a water park. Most of these pool complexes we're discussing are larger than community owned aquatics complexes. I would be surprised if that fact isn't a reason why WDW doesn't allow pool hopping. Universal, of course, does.

If I am spending $400/night on a hotel for a holiday weekend vacation (that's how much Portofino Bay is going for on 4th of July weekend), $30 for a water park ticket isn't going to kill me. THAT would be the type of spender Universal would hope to attract *IF* this water park happens to be qausi-exclusive to resort guests.

If they charge $30 for a water park ticket, they'd have the cheapest gate in Orlando. And of course they want to attract bigger spenders. But aside from your speculation that it could be a quasi-exclusive water park for resort guests, no one else anywhere that I've seen is suggesting that as a possibility. I don't think it makes a lick of sense, personally. If it did, you'd cut back on the pool amenities to drive people to go to the water park and pay the gate.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:46 am

^The $30 price was just a random number I chose. The point is when people are on vacation in Orlando, I am guessing there is a very small percentage of guests who would say "we don't need to check out the water park because we can just go over to another hotel pool for the day instead!" Does anyone really know anybody who WOULD think that? Like, do people really tell their kids "sorry, you can't go to Wet'N'Wild because we're just going to go another one of the hotel pools instead!"

I am not saying they will make it quasi-exclusive. My main point is that I think it is way too early to assume anything. That is just one hypothetical option I threw out there since all the speculation that Wet'N'Wild is closing is also just hypothetical at this point too! My personal opinion is it makes perfect sense to make it quasi-exclusive to resort guests (even if that is something as simple as only a few hours exclusive to resort guests before opening to everyone), as Universal is being aggressive in adding hotel rooms and needs as many reasons as possible for guests to chose them over all the other Orlando options.

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Unusual occurence at Universal recently...I have a medical boot on my right foot due to a foot ulcer. It's held onto my foot and ankle with three secure velcro straps. I went to Universal over President's Day weekend and I was able to ride the Hulk, Flight of the Hippogriff, Gringotts, and Mummy without removing it. This past weekend, when I rode the Hulk, I had to remove it before riding. It seems unusual that one week I was able to wear it and the next week I couldn't. I understand the hazards if it becomes loos and flies off my foot. However, saw guests wearing flip flops that held onto their feet with what looked like dental floss and they were able to keep the flip flops on while riding. I would think there is a greater chance of the flip flops flying off than my medical boot. I was also asked to remove it before riding Dragon's Challenge. I can see why I had to take it off on Dragon's Challenge, though. I was not asked to remove the boot when I rode Hollywood Rip Ride and Rockit. I suppose only the inverted coasters have this rule. I removed the boot when asked. It's important to follow the park rules and the Team Members are only doing their job. I did get the front row of the Hulk as a consolidation, though. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!