TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

Agreed. Brain Wash and Disco H20 are definitely way cooler than 99 percent of the non-watercoaster slides in the world. Losing the themed slides at WaW would suck. I think that park's slides collection is the best in central Florida. Atmosphere heck no but slides yes.
Agreed! Disco H2O was an amazing ride!! Hopefully they wont close the park. There are to many great slides there. I am with you, I think the park has the best slide collection in central Florida.

I liked the Bubba Tub, too, but I think that's been gone for a while now, hasn't it?
That was such a fun slide!! It closed in 2014 though I was sad to see it go.

I personally don't want to see Wet'N'Wild go either...but I think that is what Universal is planning on doing. I believe they will put more hotels across the street there as I don't see anymore room over there to add more hotels. I remember hearing that they eventually want 10,000 hotel rooms. I could be wrong though.

Why is everyone so sure Wet'N'Wild would close? Other possibilities for the new park could be that demand was so high for Wet'N'Wild they need a second park to help. Or making the new park resort guests only (with limited tickets sold to non resort guests).

Why is everyone so sure Wet'N'Wild would close? Other possibilities for the new park could be that demand was so high for Wet'N'Wild they need a second park to help. Or making the new park resort guests only (with limited tickets sold to non resort guests).

If you're going to gear a brand new, full sized water park almost entirely to resort guests, why let them pool hop at extravagantly sized pool facilities you keep building?

If you're going to gear a brand new, full sized water park almost entirely to resort guests, why let them pool hop at extravagantly sized pool facilities you keep building?

Because you aren't charging extra for the pools. They could follow the model of some of the indoor water parks (I believe Atlantis resort does this too) where resort guests have first dibs on buying tickets before selling to the general public.

Because you aren't charging extra for the pools. They could follow the model of some of the indoor water parks (I believe Atlantis resort does this too) where resort guests have first dibs on buying tickets before selling to the general public.

I realize you aren't charging extra for the pools. The issue is that if you're going to operate two water parks w/gated entry and have one essentially just for the hotel guests, pools like Cabana Bay's that cost people nothing are will act as an alternative to the gated facility. If we're going to compare to Disney World, WDW doesn't allow pool hopping. I won't compare it with Atlantis because that plays operates by a whole different business model in a place where independently leaving the resort area is just not done.

Since this rumor started making the rounds in earnest months ago and was then substantiated by the building permits that appeared in November, part of that rumor is "Wet N' Wild will probably close". Given how much has already been validated, and how much it makes sense to not generally go forth and compete with yourself, I think dismissing that possibility out of hand is probably not best.

^By that logic, anyone who stays at a deluxe WDW resort would never visit any of Disney's waterparks because they already have a nice pool and water slide on their property. You can't compare a full size water park to a resorts pool. Sure, someone doing Orlando on the cheap might limit their water activities to the pool...but to the people planning their ultimate vacation, an extra $30 isn't going to break their bank. In fact, offering the park as quasi-exclusive might convince someone to stay at UO vs. all the other hotels/resorts around.

UO is adding a ton of hotel rooms and needs reasons for people to stay in them.

I'm not saying it's a lock they will leave Wet'N'Wild open, but I don't think it's a sure thing at this point with UO trying to grow as a resort.

Edited by Jew

^By that logic, anyone who stays at a deluxe WDW resort would never visit any of Disney's waterparks because they already have a nice pool and water slide on their property. You can't compare a full size water park to a resorts pool. Sure, someone doing Orlando on the cheap might limit their water activities to the pool...but to the people planning their ultimate vacation, an extra $30 isn't going to break their bank. In fact, offering the park as quasi-exclusive might convince someone to stay at UO vs. all the other hotels/resorts around.

We just stayed at Wilderness and Animal Kingdom just a few days ago. We went to Typhoon Lagoon once when we deemed it warm enough(low 70s). You can't compare a well executed water park to even the swankiest resort pool if you love water and water rides. We enjoyed both resorts' pools but they are not Typhoon Lagoon, not by a country mile.

Yesterday the Universal Orlando Resort hosted Theme Park Review for its annual Mardi Gras media preview featuring great food, fantastic music, a headliner act and lots of fun! This year's event changed it up a little bit with a new order for the parade floats, new performers for the concert lineup and more...

001.jpg.65bf7cae0f35e40048b940d763212d8d.jpg

This year's Mardi Gras sports a huge lineup of performers for all tastes, including some of the biggest names in the music industry.

002.thumb.JPG.da57631b51c6640e402d06d545abca39.JPG

But most importantly... Mardi Gras has some amazing food!

003.thumb.JPG.f2e03c8f2a62decb5ec318808b37ecd6.JPG

Okay... So the food excites me more than anything. But when you can see the steam flowing off of it, you know it is fresh!

004.thumb.JPG.f02be4ba911533c962e57e2078f79d6d.JPG

Quality beignets to be had!

005.thumb.JPG.8daf7e582ec283b12ccf5b5c6f57352d.JPG

The year's signature drink is Voodoo Juice, a combination of fruit punch and rum... And we love it!

006.thumb.JPG.a548cfdffe7ce53d9278beafd2e21ed9.JPG

There is no shortage of costumed performers at Mardi Gras!

007.thumb.JPG.7f40872d3b5c4c61e88449bd87b635c1.JPG

Photo ops aplenty here!

008.thumb.JPG.74d138daa599aa67d3ae70cfeda62ac6.JPG

Just hanging out with Orlando Attractions Magazine and Big Fat Panda John!

009.thumb.JPG.9165e8036612dafd4db6299d3b3561a3.JPG

Give us vuvuzelas and Eric and I will make music... It may be terrible music, but it is music nonetheless.

010.thumb.JPG.1633a4c03c052e668ff3c39f32a23eb1.JPG

As we exited the tasting lounge, we were met by more performers...

011.thumb.JPG.644509596919b50aec10077b5a78d63c.JPG

Next up, an authentic New Orleans band paraded us through the park for the guests to see... It was insanely awesome to experience!

012.thumb.JPG.6b8e29d64c804eaef72e79bc4afcc728.JPG

We stopped off at the Mardi Gras French Quarter Courtyard to wrap up the show...

013.thumb.JPG.52f731506e7dc14f6f14fe7ede422982.JPG

Live bands perform on this stage during Mardi Gras (the bigger acts like Kelly Clarkson are hosted on the Music Plaza Stage near Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit! in the evening) and this stage also hosts the Blues Brothers in the earlier part of the day.

014.thumb.JPG.d2c51adab4ad34c9fd53b8c40a1e35e3.JPG

The King and Queen of Mardi Gras can be found throughout the event.

015.thumb.JPG.636388a87473d3d133c30e2fe4026060.JPG

The French Quarter Courtyard features some fantastic New Orleans cuisine cooked and served up fresh, right before your eyes!

016.thumb.JPG.b009ae0bbb66287ad7e61dd098aaf1a3.JPG

A mainstay of the annual events at Universal is the return of the Psychic Readers and Henna Tattoos.

017.thumb.JPG.38ecd72557e4966a31dc4f6dd50686ba.JPG

Such a fun place to walk around!

018.thumb.JPG.7168f0d493409a90bdfe0c70bc8cb5f4.JPG

The Mardi Gras parade stilt-walkers roam the New York streets before the parade for photo ops with guests.

019.thumb.JPG.a1bdc7b10faa948a982510cda1301175.JPG

Each costume is totally unique...

020.thumb.JPG.cc921072fa473f4ee058446e781cb340.JPG

Can't get enough of the French Quarter Courtyard!

021.thumb.JPG.54c60980d6d8ebdb8a0fc151e942cc5d.JPG

The park takes on a vibrant Mardi Gras atmosphere once the sun goes down, with added lighting, decor and music to help set the mood!

022.thumb.JPG.a7289bd16d61082796050f9bf3004bad.JPG

Time for the parade to begin!

023.thumb.JPG.1228798324fc54c6b366d0cf8d85a937.JPG

It is always impressive to see just how big the Mardi Gras parade floats really are.

024.thumb.JPG.a3e6825f1d7e19c20a2a657088d3d4f0.JPG

All of the Universal Mardi Gras parade floats were designed by Kern Studios, the same studio that has produced the floats for the actual New Orleans Mardi Gras since 1932.

025.thumb.JPG.d767df0302e8237436647880233f00fa.JPG

These floats look amazing at night!

026.thumb.JPG.07b46188a25731e210dd2f91571a20da.JPG

One of my favorites!

027.thumb.JPG.6f4b49f287fc0e1739a3fd953612c667.JPG

The Dia de Los Muertos float has to be seen in person to truly appreciate it... The levels of detail hidden within it can only be seen up close!

028.thumb.JPG.1958ae5cbc9af9fad1cb1a39fb275ad8.JPG

Another gorgeous float...

029.thumb.JPG.2e50792e7525629d845aed6400be98d3.JPG

The lighting on this float (added last year) continues to impress a year later.

030.thumb.JPG.1d6abd29877e90051c3d97d74d992c10.JPG

Here is another favorite of mine, for a few reasons...

031.thumb.JPG.c22d556b1230fe475947d9603f3f1b46.JPG

1. Creepy dolphin.

032.thumb.JPG.827fd69f147f936ad2b11f22982f3e0c.JPG

2. Universal's tribute to TPR's Elissa... TH ELISSA.

(This one is probably not what I think it is.)

033.thumb.JPG.8cf1b2e082a138477b99c496f48228eb.JPG

So much to see!

034.thumb.JPG.da6cbb079224e4e27f067c70d8b90b3a.JPG

The Bourbon Street float has some of the best lighting out of all of the floats in the parade!

035.thumb.JPG.e7cab8360ae328e0ecf09e3a2daf0503.JPG

And the giant gator float (three float-lengths long) closes out the parade this year!

037.thumb.JPG.a2bcf9d77bef180583a0b08f42b4202b.JPG

The headliner of the Mardi Gras concert series for the night was Kelly Clarkson, the original American Idol!

038.thumb.JPG.0238c5d1a0c881e617c04dc53f3d60cc.JPG

She performed with a sizable band and they rocked the stage!

039.thumb.JPG.7bfba180ef6bc6613bae6abb17162770.JPG

Some people wait a lifetime for a moment like this...

040.thumb.JPG.56cc85c755ee5af04345a5b6fb2b1565.JPG

But thanks to Universal Orlando, we didn't have to!

041.thumb.JPG.acba4806096909726de72ef3dc221d57.JPG

Special thanks to the Universal Orlando Resort for hosting us at Mardi Gras 2015! We'll definitely be returning for more food, drinks, atmosphere and concerts as the event runs on select nights through April 18th. Be sure to check it out this season while you can!

^By that logic, anyone who stays at a deluxe WDW resort would never visit any of Disney's waterparks because they already have a nice pool and water slide on their property.

If we're going to compare to Disney World, WDW doesn't allow pool hopping.

You can't compare a full size water park to a resorts pool.

Depends on how big this full size water park turns out to be when the attractions are actually announced. Having a really cool lazy river would be nice. You know who would have one for free? Cabana Bay, and regardless of which UO resort I stay at, I can use it. Maybe they kill pool hopping to encourage use of the water park. They might do that! And my excitement for a new water park if I end up with both A) no poolhopping B) no more Wet N'Wild is gonna be super low. I say this as a guest who has favored Uni over Disney in recently years as my Orlando amusement resort of choice.

I'm not saying it's a lock they will leave Wet'N'Wild open, but I don't think it's a sure thing at this point with UO trying to grow as a resort.

I would love for it to stay open, and until I hear it is closing I'm just going to hope it doesn't.

Depends on how big this full size water park turns out to be when the attractions are actually announced. Having a really cool lazy river would be nice. You know who would have one for free? Cabana Bay, and regardless of which UO resort I stay at, I can use it. Maybe they kill pool hopping to encourage use of the water park. They might do that! And my excitement for a new water park if I end up with both A) no poolhopping B) no more Wet N'Wild is gonna be super low. I say this as a guest who has favored Uni over Disney in recently years as my Orlando amusement resort of choice.

I'm still not sure where you are going with the argument having a nice pool at a hotel automatically eliminates the possibility a guest would go to a water park as well.

Will some budget minded people pass on a water park ticket because their hotel offers an experience close enough? Sure. But that's such a small segment of the piece of the pie Universal is trying to bring to its property. If I am spending $400/night on a hotel for a holiday weekend vacation (that's how much Portofino Bay is going for on 4th of July weekend), $30 for a water park ticket isn't going to kill me. THAT would be the type of spender Universal would hope to attract *IF* this water park happens to be qausi-exclusive to resort guests.

^By that logic, anyone who stays at a deluxe WDW resort would never visit any of Disney's waterparks because they already have a nice pool and water slide on their property.

If we're going to compare to Disney World, WDW doesn't allow pool hopping.

You can't compare a full size water park to a resorts pool.

I would love for it to stay open, and until I hear it is closing I'm just going to hope it doesn't.

I dont get it...are you trying to say that everyone who goes to waterparks doesn't have access to a regular pool? I fail to see how someone staying at Cabana Bay (or has access to Cabana Bay's lazy river) is going to pass up on going to a full-fledged, highly-themed water park with several large-scale slide attractions and a freakin volcano at the centerpiece because there's a free lazy river at Cabana Bay. I mean, can you honestly say that the rides at Wet N Wild or Blizzard Beach are comparable to the dinky slides in the Universal resort pools..?

I'm still not sure where you are going with the argument having a nice pool at a hotel automatically eliminates the possibility a guest would go to a water park as well.

If someone staying at All Star has the option of going to use the Yacht/Beach Club Pool or Boardwalk and so on for free, they're less likely to spend money on a water park. Most of these pool complexes we're discussing are larger than community owned aquatics complexes. I would be surprised if that fact isn't a reason why WDW doesn't allow pool hopping. Universal, of course, does.

If I am spending $400/night on a hotel for a holiday weekend vacation (that's how much Portofino Bay is going for on 4th of July weekend), $30 for a water park ticket isn't going to kill me. THAT would be the type of spender Universal would hope to attract *IF* this water park happens to be qausi-exclusive to resort guests.

If they charge $30 for a water park ticket, they'd have the cheapest gate in Orlando. And of course they want to attract bigger spenders. But aside from your speculation that it could be a quasi-exclusive water park for resort guests, no one else anywhere that I've seen is suggesting that as a possibility. I don't think it makes a lick of sense, personally. If it did, you'd cut back on the pool amenities to drive people to go to the water park and pay the gate.

^The $30 price was just a random number I chose. The point is when people are on vacation in Orlando, I am guessing there is a very small percentage of guests who would say "we don't need to check out the water park because we can just go over to another hotel pool for the day instead!" Does anyone really know anybody who WOULD think that? Like, do people really tell their kids "sorry, you can't go to Wet'N'Wild because we're just going to go another one of the hotel pools instead!"

I am not saying they will make it quasi-exclusive. My main point is that I think it is way too early to assume anything. That is just one hypothetical option I threw out there since all the speculation that Wet'N'Wild is closing is also just hypothetical at this point too! My personal opinion is it makes perfect sense to make it quasi-exclusive to resort guests (even if that is something as simple as only a few hours exclusive to resort guests before opening to everyone), as Universal is being aggressive in adding hotel rooms and needs as many reasons as possible for guests to chose them over all the other Orlando options.

Unusual occurence at Universal recently...I have a medical boot on my right foot due to a foot ulcer. It's held onto my foot and ankle with three secure velcro straps. I went to Universal over President's Day weekend and I was able to ride the Hulk, Flight of the Hippogriff, Gringotts, and Mummy without removing it. This past weekend, when I rode the Hulk, I had to remove it before riding. It seems unusual that one week I was able to wear it and the next week I couldn't. I understand the hazards if it becomes loos and flies off my foot. However, saw guests wearing flip flops that held onto their feet with what looked like dental floss and they were able to keep the flip flops on while riding. I would think there is a greater chance of the flip flops flying off than my medical boot. I was also asked to remove it before riding Dragon's Challenge. I can see why I had to take it off on Dragon's Challenge, though. I was not asked to remove the boot when I rode Hollywood Rip Ride and Rockit. I suppose only the inverted coasters have this rule. I removed the boot when asked. It's important to follow the park rules and the Team Members are only doing their job. I did get the front row of the Hulk as a consolidation, though.

Well, it looks like one of the Comcast execs slipped up today and accidentally announced Kong for Universal Orlando!

http://attractionsmagazine.com/the-rumor-queue-comcast-kongfirms-the-return-of-the-king-kong-to-universal/

In a fourth quarter earnings conference call, Comcast CFO Michael J. Angelakis stated the following:

“As we continue to invest in attractions, including Harry Potter and Fast and Furious in Hollywood and a King Kong attraction in Orlando, investments in our theme park are driving strong returns.”

What are your thoughts on the idea that a once-lost attraction at the resort is now coming back for a re-boot? Wonder if there might be any chance for a Jaws return in the future?