TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Hi! I am taking a trip out to Florida and plan on spending 1 day at Universal and 4 days at Disney. I am getting a 1 Day Park-to-Park ticket with Universal Express Unlimited, but have started to wonder if that is enough time to get in all of the rides I wish to ride. I have been to Universal before. The person I'm going with is also a pass holder and is purchasing Universal Express as well. Do you think I need to sacrifice a day a Disney (Which I really don't want to do) and spend an extra day at Universal without express, or do you think I'll be okay.

I just went to universal two weeks ago with some folks who have never been there. We did everything, from opening to closing 9-6 or 7, at both parks and took about an hour or so off to eat at cowfish (which you must!) at 1130ish. Now, I was able to get comp express passes for all which made it possible to do everything in both parks, minus a few attractions but if you could sacrifice a day at Disney I would to make sure you get the most out of universal. Have you ever been to Disney? When was the last time you were at universal?

We went to Universal this past Monday and Tuesday and we rode everything we wanted to by about 3 or 4 pm the first day. The second day, we just relaxed and enjoyed the park and re-rode everything. Wait times were minimal. Gringott's was at about 20-30 minutes all day. We used the single rider line at first, but I REALLY wanted to go through the queue. The themeing was phenomenal. It was an attraction in itself! The "20 minute wait" was honestly just spent walking through the queue.

I haven't been to Universal since 2010, but have been on everything except Transformers, Escape from Gringott's, Hogwart's Express, and Minion Mayham. I have been to Disney before, but my friend has not. That's more what I am concerned about.

Then, I would do one day at universal...without express...wait, when are you going?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-universal-water-park-plans-20150216-story.html

It's official. Universal Orlando has submitted plans for a water park with a volcano feature south of its Cabana Bay Beach Resort.

An engineering consultant confirmed that the project east of Turkey Lake Road is a "water theme park" in a report filed with the South Florida Water Management District on Friday.

A report from Professional Services Industries Inc. said "a "tall 'volcano' with slides will be constructed on the southern portion of the site." There will be a wave pool at the volcano's equipment bunker. There also will be a lazy river and rapids ride, according to the plans.

Last year, Universal filed stormwater permit documents for the project with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, saying construction will go on through November 2016, with 53 acres of "land disturbance." Those documents did not identify what the project would be. Speculation about a water park has gone on for months.

NBCUniversal owns the Wet 'n Wild water park across Interstate 4. The company recently replaced Wet 'n Wild's longtime general manager with a Universal park veteran.

A Universal spokesman could not be reached for comment.

Do we really need another waterpark?

Florida has enough waterparks. If I am not mistaken, this plot of land is next to the theme parks. Why not add onto the theme park? I thought I have read that the parks are pretty much land locked.

Wet N' Wild is said to likely be closing when construction is underway. The current and surrounding land for that property will be used for addition resort expansion.

I welcome it, especially if the theming is top notch and slides and are on the cutting edge of technology (advanced Proslide models instead of standard slides).

^This plot of land is in not next to the theme parks. It is in between Cabana Bay and I-4. I believe this will be very successful for Universal. I do believe that they will probably close down Wet N Wild and maybe bring some of their better slides to the new park. I'm personally very happy with this as I love water parks and Universal. This is just a great mix. My only real question is parking. Is there going to be a separate parking lot for this Volcano water park or will you still park in the Parking Garage at CityWalk. Maybe a shuttle service to the water park perhaps?

I've read it wont be parking next to it. I think it would suck for non resort visitors to haul that stuff around. it would be a problem wanting to do the parks and the water park in the same day if you aren't staying on site...

Do we really need another waterpark?

YES!!! Outside of disney, there are only 2 water parks in central fla (that I know of). And its not like placing 3 McDonald's on the same block. It seems every water park in central offers some "unique-ness" to it in some form. I guess since I have read some unofficial details of this water park I may be more excited for it

Here are a few waterparks in the area....

Aquatica

Wet and wild

Blizzard beach

typhoon lagoon

Coco key hotel/waterpark

Discovery cove

Legoland waterpark

Plus several other smaller waterparks in the area. There are also many other waterparks within an hour or so of orlando like adventure island and buccaneer bay. There is also wild waters (although this park is a little more than an hour plus away).

I may be wrong, but most tourists to the orlando area are there for the theme parks. I am not sure how many people would travel from all over the world to go to a waterpark. Most city's in this country have a waterpark either in the city or nearby.

I mention the disney water parks and said outside of them. From my experience, most people who go to disney water parks are already disney world guest and not the casual orlando visitor. Wet n'wild would basically close since universal wouldn't need two water parks so close to each other. Coco key...that's like 3 slides right? And besides, how many non-hotel guest acutally visit that place? Legoland is considered far when you are considering the amount of people who fly into Orlando and main focus is between ouniversal, sea world and disney. Honestly...do you really consider discovery cove a "water park"?

So basically, for the Orlando visitor who doesn't want to venture outside the Orlando area and not really going to Disney, its only 2 REAL, fleshed out water parks, and one of them may be on the chopping block. I say bring on universal's take on a water park. I'm sure it wont be just slides and a water play fort...

And you are correct...more tourist are in Orlando for the theme parks...but guess what...universal built their own mini golf course and now many of those are in Orlando? Universal just built Cabana bay and building Sapphire falls...how many hotels are already in Orlando...so why shouldn't universal build their own water park? Universal doesn't care what Orlando already has, they care about keeping their guest spending money with them and adding days to their visit as a result of more offerings.

I say the more places to cool off in Orlando in those smoldering months of may-aug the better...

Edited by jarmor

Aquatica

Wet and wild

Blizzard beach

typhoon lagoon

Coco key hotel/waterpark

Discovery cove

Legoland waterpark

Plus several other smaller waterparks in the area. There are also many other waterparks within an hour or so of orlando like adventure island and buccaneer bay. There is also wild waters (although this park is a little more than an hour plus away).

I may be wrong, but most tourists to the orlando area are there for the theme parks. I am not sure how many people would travel from all over the world to go to a waterpark. Most city's in this country have a waterpark either in the city or nearby.

A Universal waterpark will incentivize guests in the Universal hotels to stay an extra day and be an added perk for locals to buy/renew their Universal annual passes.

Aquatica

Wet and wild

Blizzard beach

typhoon lagoon

Coco key hotel/waterpark

Discovery cove

Legoland waterpark

Discovery is not really a water park or a theme park. But I will like to see a Universal Creation. Hopefully they get rid of Wet n Wild

Wild Waters is actually closing permanently, if it has not already done so.

Buc Bay at Weeki Wachee Spring is great. The slides empty right into the Weeki Wachee River.

If you have kids, take them to see the mermaid show.

I myself grew up with Wild Waters and Weeki Wachee, and while I am not much of a water park person nowadays, I am quite interested in seeing how Universal pulls this of.

The slide I want:

JAWS: The Slide.

It would be a trap door slide. It would be a decent size body slide with twists and turns, and such. Near the end, you go through the Orca, and into the sharks mouth, ala Quint's death scene:

I'm not nearly as stoked about seeing Wet N'Wild close given the huge complement of slides there and how historically important it is to the water park industry. I'm not saying this new water park won't be really good, but I seriously doubt that they'll have an equal amount of attractions when opening as does Wet N'Wild. Oh, it'll be better themed, but if I want to get a beach chair and sit around a fake beach all day, I'd rather go to Discovery Cove and get a bunch of free SeaWorld and Aquatica days along with liquor and food.

I'm all for another water park in Orlando. Yes Disney has great water parks. But we can always use another one. I hope the theming turns out to be as good as we expect.

Edit:

However. Is Wet N Wild going to remain closed ... Forever. . . ? Because if so... Then no. I like the slides at Wet N Wild to much to ever want to see it closed. If its just closed for a few months that's okay... But not forever. It's slides are irreplaceable to me.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/tourism-central-florida-blog/os-universal-orlando-reverse-bottled-water-ban-20150218-post.html

Universal Orlando has lifted its temporary ban on guests bringing liquids such as bottled water into the park.

Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said in an email that the ban has been lifted. He did not give further details.

Visitors to the park Monday had been surprised to find they needed to throw away bottled water and other liquids before entering CityWalk, Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure. Universal has generally allowed small snacks and water. Schroder said at the time the ban was a result of a review of procedures and would not be permanent.

The ban was mocked on social media and irritated guests, who said it created chaos at the entrance to the complex. Some were upset there had been no advance warning via email, on the company's website or as patrons drove into the resort.

"It was not fun to have to walk through sticky liquids around the bag check lines. Patrons were dumping more than water bottles as flavored waters and sports drinks were also getting dumped," wrote Rod Weimer in an email. "Really poor planning and bad excuses."

However. Is Wet N Wild going to remain closed ... Forever. . . ? Because if so... Then no. I like the slides at Wet N Wild to much to ever want to see it closed.

Agreed. Brain Drain and Disco H20 are definitely way cooler than 99 percent of the non-watercoaster slides in the world. Losing the themed slides at WaW would suck. I think that park's slides collection is the best in central Florida. Atmosphere heck no but slides yes.