TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

^Agreed. I think even if they had made an effort to run shuttles from the beach, hotels, resorts and had more reasonable ticket prices, it still could have survived.

But lets be honest...basically after all the sketchy changes of ownership, it's pretty obvious it was all just a giant scam from the former owners of the individual attractions that were failing.

I agree with Robb and Joey. It was also crazy to charge $50 (as I recall) for admission--definitely too much for the market in Myrtle Beach. They really had to start running "special deals" early on just to get people to visit the park.

Wish I had seen Knights in White Satin. I heard it was pretty trippy. However, I must say, Monsters of Rock wasn't that bad. It was funny and campy in all it's florescent glory. Considering I only paid $5 bucks per person to get in to the park. It was a great day for me n' tha family unit. And as I recall, we had some pretty good BBQ in the country area.

Yeah, considering that Myrtle Beach is a good golf and beach place but definitely not a place to have theme parks and consider that where Hard Rock was located was about a mile away from the beach it's no wonder why it closed. Myrtle beach is definitely not the place to create a big amusement park of attraction let alone a theme park.

If I remember right, one of it's many problems was that it was more like 3-4 miles out from the strand. Plus, there was nothing out there to really draw people other than Medieval Times, (which was really good). Other than MT all I can remember is a couple churches, a hotel and a vandalized, graffiti-covered former outlet mall.

If I remember right, one of it's many problems was that it was more like 3-4 miles out from the strand. Plus, there was nothing out there to really draw people other than Medieval Times, (which was really good). Other than MT all I can remember is a couple churches, a hotel and a vandalized, graffiti-covered former outlet mall.

Yea.... It was basically the last thing you passed on your way out of town towards Conway, SC... Nowhere near where everyone was staying and planning all their activities...

It was a pretty big wasteland when I went, before Hard Rock came in. I was surprised Medieval Times chose a place so far away from the beach area, although I heard that the shopping area once was a nice place to visit before it closed.

We had drove by it years ago and it was a nice outlet mall-type place. I want to say it was called Wacamaw, but I may be thinking of the Virginia Beach area. When we were there last Medieval Times was packed, and that was even around the opening weekend for Dolly Parton's "Pirates Voyage dinner show.

• 3 weeks later...
Now let's just hope this park (parks?) have better luck than Hard Rock Park did. How ironic would it be if these rides ended up in another park that only lasted a few years?

Perhaps they have been cursed by . . .

^Nights in White Satin was gutted when Monstars of Rock moved in. A few items from the inside of the ride were scattered as theming throughout the rebranded park and a few items from the rock garden were moved inside as well. I'm not surprised that the ride system was moved out if the park as well. It was a lightly used ride system likely bought for cheap, so it is nice to see at least that part of one of the most unique dark rides ever, to be saved.

^Nights in White Satin was gutted when Monstars of Rock moved in. A few items from the inside of the ride were scattered as theming throughout the rebranded park and a few items from the rock garden were moved inside as well. I'm not surprised that the ride system was moved out if the park as well. It was a lightly used ride system likely bought for cheap, so it is nice to see at least that part of one of the most unique dark rides ever, to be saved.

How different was Monstars from NIWS?

^Superstar Limo is to Haunted Mansion as Monstars of Rock is to Nights in White Satin. (This is not to say that NIWS is as good as Mansion.) Essentially, the trippy effects of the old Moody Blues-themed ride were replaced with plywood cutouts of cartoony versions of Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, etc. It really looked like a "walk-through" model of a proposed dark ride.

Edited by cfc

• 1 month later...

^And so is the still vacant Pavilion lot. It amazes me that park was gone before I even got a chance to visit, yet somehow HRP swindled investors for $400 million!

^And so is the still vacant Pavilion lot. It amazes me that park was gone before I even got a chance to visit, yet somehow HRP swindled investors for $400 million!

• 2 months later...