TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Snowboarding/Skiing

coastercrazy 9

I went to Bear Valley on Dec 22 and there was not much snow at all. They only had one top to bottom run and two beginner runs open thanks to snowmaking equipment (the whole backside was closed). I heard Tahoe wasn't much better. We've been having a dry spell here in CA and hopefully it ends soon. Usually the snow is way better here in Feb or March and hopefully so this season as I will be making a trip to Tahoe in Feb or March. I may hit up China Peak in Jan if there's good snowfall.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I snowboard a bit. I used to travel up an hour and a half to a small ski hill in Paoli, Indiana weekly with my high school's ski club during January and February, but haven't been able to go as often since I graduated. The place wasn't special at all, and it only took a few minutes or less to reach the bottom. Now I'm looking to go with my college ski group to my first big ski resort out in Colorado this coming January. Should hopefully be fun.

Yeah, the first time I snowboarded I fell a lot and didn't think I was going to get it, but after learning to ski with proper lessons I decided to give snowboarding another shot with proper lessons and I'm glad I did. I like both skiing and snowboarding and I'm glad I know both, but since I won a snowboard in a Mtn Dew contest I snowboard a lot more often (but I try to rent skis at least one day a year on multi-day trips).

I feel learning to turn and stop properly are key and once you have those down, everything else will be a lot easier. Also like with skiing, look the way you want to go and not at the ground or else you will fall.

Well, looks like I'll be trying snowboarding in a couple of weeks! Terrified, but my knees are thanking me in advance for not strapping them into ski boots again!

Please don't forget your 'butt' pad...if you don't have one at least rent the extra padding and you will thank me later. I had a snowboarding accident and needless to say fractured my tailbone, and your @$$ will seriously hurt for weeks while all you get from your Doc is a plastic donut, Ibuprofen and a "Good luck!" since there is nothing you can do but deal with the pain...

I'm back skiing and try to stay away from snowboarding just due to some bad experiences...I hope you have fun though and remember you will most likely fall a lot while the snow catches the edge of your board and knocks you over!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm going this Sunday for my birthday since there is actual snow in the mountains now. Probably to Badger Pass in Yosemite Park because they give me a free lift ticket on my birthday. Not the most exciting or challenging place to ride, but the scenery is nice and there is stuff for the non riders/skiers to do in the area while I'm on the slopes plus it's only a few hours away so it can be done as a day trip.

• 3 weeks later...

We have some snow in Tahoe, but not much, and it's the terrible Sierra Cement at a lot of places. I'm hoping we have a huge storm soon so I can go snowboarding. I'm not going to spend a ton of money for just ok conditions.

"Ski Country" of Western New York and parts of Northwest Pennsylvania have been sketchy at best so far this season. I have only made it out twice due to not only a busy schedule but inconveniently rainy weather. Thinking decent conditions after a cold week of snow with supposedly about a foot in the last few days plus snow-making, I ventured to my local stomping grounds, the quaint Peek n' Peak, who just barely got up to 100% open. Let's just say "Packed Powder" even with grain of salt expectations was a very hard pack with some ice skating rinks, potholes, and even sink holes mixed in. The lack of steepness of the resort keeps every trail manageable, but you just find that conditions are highly variable and in the most unexpected places. After several years of season passes to a small local resort you would think the typical "trouble spots" would be known, but both times this year have been new adventures with the variable conditions. All I ask for is a few small storms to keep the slopes consistent without making the country roads on the way to the resort treacherous.

At least the ice provides some thrills that can match or exceed coaster intensity .

I live in Switzerland, about 20min from two mid-size Ski Resorts away and we often go there. Even if we have now snow and the Holiday break is here, I didn't went skiing yet, because first I felt sick and now the weather is rainy! But we still have 2 months time till the snow leaves us!

• 2 weeks later...

I get paid to ski and snowboard. . . . really, it's true. I teach all ages and levels, although I generally enjoy teaching kids.

I also prefer boarding. I started out as a boarder, decided skiing looked fun and tried it several years later. I enjoy both, but prefer the board.

Attached is a little action shot of me

snowboarding.png.19ad7a934b52080b6701948fa0b21696.png